Ear plugs

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by calebaaron666, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    As I said above, at the place where I enquired I was told that the filters would be reusable, and only the mold would have to be replaced, which would bring the cost of the new custom-made earplugs to one half of their original price. Ask, just in case.

Thanks for this information. I've been, and still am, a user of earbuds for listening to music while commuting. I dislike listening to loud music, and I don't feel the need for the music to mask completely the noise around me, so the music is there in the background, and I was under the -false, I see now- impression that doing this wouldn't harm my ears. But I hadn't taken SPL into account. I suppose headphones with noise reduction aren't harmful, since they allow listening to music at a really low volume. Or should we also avoid them? I've been thinking of getting ones for some time, but I haven't found any place where I can try them before, and I cannot make up my mind to buy without checking the sound quality first.

wabash slim likes this.
  2. samdevos

samdevos Gretschie

Jun 26, 2009
    belgium
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I've been told to get the food custom ones as they tend to sound less muffled.

4. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I'm 54 and have led a life of electric guitars, guns, and motorcycled. Wheeeeeee.....which is what I hear at night lol.

panhead6zero and new6659 like this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    466A1BAE-275D-473E-ADC7-3AD8AC7CA907.png Thanx all for the input. I ordered these from Mumba.

wabash slim likes this.
  6. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yes, I’ve had ringing for a few years now. I realize it’s not going to get better.
    Hold on a sec....

WOULD SOMEONE ANSWER THAT PHONE?!?!

I just don’t want it to get any worse.

section2 and new6659 like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nothing sadder than a sound guy with hearing aids.

8. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    What's that? o_O

dak55 and wabash slim like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The real question is, how much do you want to spend. Custom fitted is the way to go and there are some with inserts you can swap out for more of lees noise reduction. I use foamies the most or shooters headphones but that probably won't be your choice on stage.

RF-4b 24/7 in the Marines, my barracks was at the end of the runway. So my ears ring 24/7 oddly enough if I focus on something it is not very noticeable but in a quiet room or going to bed it is very loud but doesn't bother me. It's like being ina an electronics van working with all the gear humming away around me.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    new6659 likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's not the ringing so much as it is the voices....

new6659, panhead6zero and Bertotti like this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don’t have to worry about voices. I am the voice! Muhahaha

wabash slim likes this.
  12. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Yep, that's correct. The filters are interchangeable and work just fine, so I'll only need new molded ear inserts. If memory serves, the molded inserts were about 1/2 to 2/3 of the total cost when I first bought them. Time to go see the audiologist!

For anyone who's leery of spending that kind of money on earplugs, I'll reiterate that the off-the-rack Etymotic ER20 earplugs cost about $10-$20, and they're really excellent. Much better than living with tinnitus. EVERYONE should be wearing earplugs.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Cassotto and wabash slim like this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I use foamies in industrial settings but they block out way too much to hear well. So they would be a bad choice for music. How well would these work in an industrial setting loud but no more so than some concerts I have been to.

14. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I use my Etymotic ER20s when I use power tools for woodworking, and my ears don't ring afterwards. I only use power tools for a few minutes at a time, though, so I can't say whether these earplugs would give you enough protection for a full day's work in an industrial setting.

Bertotti likes this.
  15. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Well, I used my new Mumba “high fidelity” ear plugs at band practice today. They beat foam plugs, that’s forsure.

The good news is my ears weren’t ringing after playing today.

The bad news is wearing earplugs is a DRAG!

I hate ‘em I hate ‘em I hate ‘em I hate ‘em I hate ‘em I hate ‘em I HATE EM!!

However, it beats damaging my ears to the point of catastrophe.

I’d rather keep rockin’ and rollin with plugs in my ears than not be able to hear by the time I’m 40.

16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Hopefully you'll get used to it over time. I feel the same way about tucking my shirt in for work.

17. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    What is it that you don't like about wearing the earplugs? If things are sounding muffled, you might want to try a pair with a lower noise reduction rating.

Those Mumba earplugs have a 24dB noise reduction rating. That's pretty high. When I first got my custom earplugs, I ordered them with a set of 25dB filters. They were better than foam plugs but they still sounded muddy. I exchanged them for a set of 15dB filters. Much better.

I also have a couple of pairs of off-the-rack Etymotic ER20s (with a 20dB rating), and I'm pretty satisfied with them. I lose a bit of high end when I wear them, but they're definitely better than the 25s.

Cassotto and calebaaron666 like this.
  18. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I just feel claustrophobic when I wear them. I’ve been playing loud music for over 20 years without them, so having to wear them now is just a bummer!
    Yeah, you’re probably right about the db’s. I wasn’t sure what to get.

Cassotto, new6659 and section2 like this.
  19. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I hear you. It does take a bit of time to get used to the feeling of playing with earplugs in. Once you do, though, it'll feel weird to play without them. The last time I drummed without my earplugs, I felt naked.

Cassotto and calebaaron666 like this.
  20. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I don’t mind drumming with them too much, but playing guitar with them is rough!
    I can’t tell if I sound good or not!
    I mean I ALWAYS sound good, but I like to hear how good I sound.:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice