E String Popping out with TOM!

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by Darren1982, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Hi

I played a gig last night with my newly modified gretsch 6228 duo jet. http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/6228-mods-complete-what-you-think.193759/#post-1185257

I have a Gotoh TOM Titanium and has never done this before but the E string kept popping out! i was probably more heavy handed than practicing at home and standing up may change the angle of my picking hand slightly.

I'm playing with 10-46 Balanced Tension strings. My Towner Tension bar is on the lowest point, break angle is at a point where it shouldn't cause a problem.

Do i need to cut the slot bigger?

Or is it best to buy a Tru-Arc or similar Bar?

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Oh man, I feel your pain.
    I had this problem for a while with my 5129.
    I ordered a Stainless Steel Tru-Arc with custom cut deeper grooves for $10 extra.
    Haven’t popped a string since.

3. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    thanks! Was that the Serpentune?

calebaaron666 likes this.
  4. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yes. If/when you email Tim make sure to know the size of the posts you have, as well as your string spacing, and he’ll know which model bridge you’ll want. If you get deeper grooves, you won’t regret it.
    Meantime, you can probably file down the E groove of your Gotoh. Just do a little bit at a time.
    OR maybe try a larger gauge string. Try an 11 instead of a 10. That may help.

5. slickfaster

slickfaster Electromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    I angle in top and bottoms at Bigs cam wrap..En ya a little deepening of the saddle groove. Happens naturally with proper trem usage yes??

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nah, Gotoh makes a great bridge. Try filing the slot first(angled towards the Towner). Don't overdo it, a couple of microns, and check for burrs.

Dave-B likes this.
  7. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Does your Gotoh have identical v-shaped notches, like this?

Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 21.01.24.png
    These notches are really just 'starter guides'. Ideally, they should be slotted properly with nut files, to match your string gauges. Then your strings won't pop out, there will be less risk of string breakage, and tuning will be more stable. Easy job for your friendly local tech.

8. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Thats it!

9. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    so you guys think the compton/tru-arc isn't the route to take?

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I love my 13(14?) Comptons, but there is nothing wrong with a Gotoh bridge.

11. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I think a Tru-Arc is ALWAYS the route to take.

12. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    any preference to which one?

13. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Well, I have only tried the aluminum, and stainless steel, and I’m a fan of both. I love the stainless steel, but it costs a bit more than the others.
    Also, if you pay a little extra for deeper grooves, your string popping problem with disappear.
    The only issue with Tru-Arc’s is how long it takes for delivery. Sometimes it takes a month.
    HOWEVER, it’s always worth the wait!

14. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Did you get the Serpentune?

I was wondering if just the standard would do the job?

There is also titanium?!

15. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have serpentunes.
    You’ll want to email Tim, and tell him what you’re working with. He’ll tell ya what you need.

There’s titanium, brass, copper, glass, stainless steel, aluminum and maybe some others.

16. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Are you using your fingers rockabilly style and pulling up on the E string? If it is coming out with down strokes and up strokes with your pick I would ever so slightly deepen the groove on the high E slightly "slightly very little at a time being the key here until it stops popping out. I had that happen and realized in my enthusiasm of the show I was playing heavier than normal.

17. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    It’s the Low E (thick) that’s popping out

18. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Damn! I guess you have tried all materials? What’s your experience with each?

Ricochet likes this.
  19. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Depends on the guitar really, what does it need, what do I think it misses? My favourite is brass. Generally I don't like twang, and don't like piercing trebles. I like a full, fat tone with sustain. I've tried Steel, Titanium, Alu, Copper and a one off Molybdenum(the stuff they use on hi-end Ibanez), and they're great and all, but I always go back to brass. For me the extra warmth enhances a guitar's natural character, despite me being fully aware it's an electric, not an acoustic.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  20. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    does the true-arc standard low rider get as low as the serpentune? apparently has problems not getting low enough so the serpentune is better for that?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice