E-Drum Questions

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Kitvin713, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    Man, I hope this is posted in the right place.

So, I've been wanting to pick up a drum set for a while now. I'm looking to spend $350-400. Not much--I know. But I've found two kits that are interesting to me.

One is on Facebook, It is a used Alesis Command that I would need to drive 2hrs to go get. $350

Option 2 is a brand new Alesis Nitro Mesh from pitbull audio. $369.99

Both come with sticks, throne, and kick pedal. They have similar features with these exceptions--the Nitro has full mesh heads on everything; the Command has a bigger snare but rubber toms.

What would you do? I can't do acoustic drums because I just don't have space; I live in a tiny apartment.

Thanks
    -Kit

2. section2

section2 Gretschie

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I'd go with the Command.

The Nitro Mesh is the entry-level kit, whereas the Command is the high-end model. I'd go with the Command. You can easily upgrade the toms to mesh pads later on. If you choose the Nitro Mesh, you'll be stuck with its low-end module, which is really the most important part of the kit. Also, the Nitro Mesh pads are all 8", which is an acceptable size for a small tom but really too small for a snare or a floor tom.

Speaking of upgrading the pads: it's quite easy to build DIY mesh pads if you're interested. I built a set of DIY pads out of some orphaned toms that I had lying around, and it was a fun project. All you need is a mesh head ($10-$20; two-ply or three-ply heads are best), a foam trigger cone with piezo ($12.50, available here), a 2" L-bracket ($2), a 1/4" stereo jack ($2), and an old drum (10" to 12" drums work best). If you have access to a table saw, you can cut the drum in half to make two pads from one drum.

Solder the piezo wires to the jack. Drill a hole in the side of the drum to mount the jack. Mount the foam cone on the L-bracket using double-sided tape, and mount the bracket at a height that will leave the top of the cone just touching the underside of the head, like this:

Screen-Shot-2017-03-29-at-16.06.18-500x451.png

(This pic shows a trigger with the jack built into the mount. On my drums, the jacks are screwed into the sides of the drum shells. Either way is fine.)

You'll need a way to make subtle height adjustments to the triggers. If the L-bracket has slots rather than circular holes, you can slide the bracket up and down as needed. Otherwise, you can mount the bracket a bit lower, and mount the trigger to another surface which you then mount to the bracket with a bolt and two nuts, allowing for height adjustments. I used the plastic disc from a felt furniture pad.

Easy peasy!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  3. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    I do like making stuff... The Command sold like 5 minutes ago. But I didn't hear great things about the module. The Nitro kit Module is supposedly really good. I just want to learn to play.

I might try making my own. I will need to price everything out. If it ends up being less than the whole kit by itself I probably will do that. I'd need a lot of other stuff too cables, rack, cymbals, a module, kick, throne. Hmm.

4. SaltyDog

SaltyDog Synchromatic

Aug 23, 2008
    chasing the dragon
    Lately I've been intrigued by the new Yamaha DTX402K set. 500 greenbacks.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    E drums bass and toms sound great. I've always hated the cymbal and snare sounds from them. There are some things that electronics just can't accurately reproduce.

6. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    I really want mesh for mine. What draws you to that set?

7. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    A friend of mine has a Roland TD-10. It's pretty convincing, but there are just somethings that will never be the same. I doubt a $350 Electric kit will capture the sound or feel of an actual drum set; I just want something to hit.

8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

First, I love acoustic drums. Having said that, I have played e-kits from lower end Simmons to the lowest end Yamaha, in church situations, and most people that listened to the drums were quite happy with the sound. As the drummer, I knew the difference, but the "audience" just knew they were hearing drums.

If you just want to learn to play, a lower end e-kit isn't much different from getting a low end acoustic kit. Will it float your boat down the road? Probably not, but if it's in your budget, and gets you playing, then it has done what you needed. Many drummers started modestly, as have guitarists and many other musicians.

Henry likes this.
  9. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Wow - we must be on the same wavelength as I also have been looking at some entry level Alesis and Yamaha E drums. After some research, I thought the newer Alesis Nitro Mesh kit would work great for my needs. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet but will soon once I get some space for them in my basement.

Meanwhile, I purchased some drum sticks and have been practicing some rudiments and simple drum beats. It’s amazingly difficult to get my foot to tap an even kick drum beat while simultaneously drumming the snare and hi hat (using mouse pads as faux drums) with different beats! :confused:

My main purpose in getting E drums is to use them to record, and they will definitely be a step up from a drum machine, which is OK for simple drums, but quickly becomes limiting and ends up sounding artificial. But I also think drumming will help my right hand strumming on guitar - we shall see. :)

10. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I bought Yamaha's version of the Octapad. I haven't used it much, but it doesn't take up a lot of space.

I wonder how much noise the pedals make in an apartment.

11. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I started "drumming" by picking up a drum practice pad and sticks to work on rhythms. I thought it would help with rhythm playing on the guitar. Little did I know where it would take me.

12. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    Less noise than the piano we have in our upstairs apartment. Our neighbors are very gracious, but I feel like an acoustic drum set is where they would draw the line.

13. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    By the way, I briefly considered getting a Yamaha DD75 drum unit like the one below. On the plus side, it's compact and you can get similar drums sounds to those from the low end E drum kits. However, it's nearly expensive as an E kit and the pedals are pretty cheap and wouldn't feel anything like true kick drum or hi hat pedals. So, as long as you have the space, I think the E kit is the way to go.

I should also note that I've seen a lot of E drum kits on my local Craig's List (e.g. used Alesis DM6s), and you can usual get a great deal from someone who describes their kit as follows: "Great used electronic drum kit. Bought for child but she lost interest." :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  14. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    I am watching craigslist and facebook like a hawk. Nothing good so far. I do want the feel of real drums as much as possible. I had a table top set at one point-- didn't like it.

15. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I'm pulling for the newish Alesis Surge. That's the one I wanna get. All the same hardware as the Alesis Command just a more limited drum module... and $200 cheaper.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  16. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    The Surge is nice. I'm just cheap sometimes

17. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Sorry, meant to say the Surge has the same hardware as the Command but just a more limited module.

18. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    It looks to me like the Surge has the Nitro Module with the Command hardware. It would be a good buy.

19. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    I not sure I’d appreciate the difference between an entry level set and something more expensive, given my current lack of drumming experience and skills, so I’ll be going for the Nitro. If I become more sophisticated at drumming I’ll upgrade later on.

Kitvin713 likes this.
  20. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    A lot of the songs I do use brushes and I just can't imagine electronic drums mimic the friction sound of the brushes properly.