Dynasonic possibly damaged?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Stefan87, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey everyone,

Was just plating around with my penguin and noticed that the bridge dynasonic seems to have the pick up part sunken into the casing and on a slight twist towards the neck, am thinking that it may be damaged or have come away from the casing somehow as im sure it isn't how it's meant to be as the neck pick up is flush with the casing.

I have tried to have a look at pics of other dynas online but cant see a clear enough picture to see if it is right or not and i dont have my other penguin at my house right now so can anyone here just confirm that the pick up may be damaged or not? If it has fallen in the casing can this be fixed easy enough? I did notice there was a significant volume drop when switching between the neck and bridge pick ups but just put that down to the heights.

Pics of what i mean, hopully they are clear enough.

Thanks guys and girls

20200404_153534.jpg 20200404_153645.jpg 20200404_153648.jpg 20200404_153654.jpg

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, just looks like the bobbin assembly came loose from the housing. I've had that happen too.

Get the pup unscrewed from the body and push it back in place. I've used clear caulk to hold it in place.

Doesn't take a lot around the bottom of the bobbin and casing. Let it dry a bit and put the pup back in.

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Had that happen too. Just glue it back in place.

Stefan87 likes this.
  4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ok cool, thanks guys, didn't think it looked right.

5. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Also there is some compression foam on the underside that supports pkup and makes up for the deeper cover..
    Make sure it’s intact ...

Stefan87 likes this.
  6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Clear silicon sealer, rather than glue. It'll be a lot easier if you were to ever need a rewind.

emitex, Stefan87 and Ricochet like this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’ve popped mine out to custom shape the cover. Remember to clean up the bottom surfaced to be glued with naphtha, after getting rid of oils or old glue.

I used clear silicone that time and it was a bad joint, one coil still sunk down after gluing. Kept trying but it didn’t seem to want to stick to the metal.

Later on I heard about guys using E9000 glue, which is what I’ll try next time I pull apart a Gretsch Dyna.

Stefan87 likes this.
  8. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    With Dynas..Are the neck and bridge the same ohm resistance?

Stefan87 likes this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    With modern Gretsch Dynasonics, yes basically the same.

Stefan87 likes this.
  10. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ok cool, so there shouldn't really be that much difference in output volume then, so it should be the fact the pick up is sunken that's causing my volume drop, any way, will fix ot as soon as i get a chance and find out.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, that’s a matter of opinion too. There are a few complaints about how the modern neck Dyna pickup will overwhelm the bridge, with comparison so drastic it makes the bridge pickup sounds weak. This is natural, that’s how the string vibrates—IIRC, more energy at the neck side, then near the bridge. Nowadays people over wind the bridge, but I don’t care for that if it goes overboard (I don’t like T-A bridge pickups for that reason). I rather adjust the heights to compensate.

In just about any other guitar, that’s easily done. Not for a Dyna, not only are shims needed they need to be sanded/shaped. Then factor in the pull of the giant magnet slugs, they can damper the string and cause ‘stratitus’. Short of getting custom shims 3D printed, it’s better to just adjust on the low end, and raise the poles up and down to fine tune. If I were you, I’d get the neck lower and raise the poles high...but I’m looking for twang, and trying to keep the neck Dyna from being too boomy, though that is it’s thing and I wouldn’t want to neuter it either. It’s a fine, and sometimes frustrating, balance. I think they get a bad rap just because adjustments are such a PITA.

Stefan87 and tartanphantom like this.
  12. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    From Mal's guitar set up guide. It does help!

Dynasonics - from the strings to the top of the pickup cover, aim for around 3/16” for the bridge pickup, 1/4” for the neck.

Stefan87 likes this.
  13. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for the tips, I want to keep the dynas and do all I can with them to get what I want in my head, as you said I know people don't like them because they are challenging but I don't give up easily lol, I like the sound on the neck actually so don't want to loose to much body but could lower it a bit.

Thanks for that G5422T, I have read that guide in the past and was meaning to head back there to go over it again, but what you posted is really what I need any way so much appreciated.

BorderRadio and G5422T like this.
  14. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Always with the 3/16. Seems a popular tolerance

Stefan87 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice