Duo Jet with DeArmond 2000s

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Uncle Daddy, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    So I had a set of these so-called Dyna-lite DeArmond 2000 pickups laying around, so I thought I'd try them in my Duo jet. Remember I swapped the pots for 1meg some time ago, as I found the T-Armonds too mid focused, hoping some more top end might balance things out. To be honest, they were OK, but not really snappy enough so, out with the T-Armonds, and in with the DeArmonds. They are a straight swap using the TV Jones compression rubber mounts, but note that Gretsch Dynasonic spacers don't fit the DeArmonds.

I really like them. Very much like regular Gretsch Dynasonics, with a slight scoop in the mids. I think the 1 meg pots really help, and anyone with a 512x series could likely benefit from swapping the pots if they were looking for a bit more punch.

Just gotta figure out what to do with these spare T-Armonds now! I might send them off for a rewind to drop a few turns off the winding. Dunno yet.

P1120721.JPG

new6659, audept, loudnlousy and 5 others like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I would think you could sell the T-A’s pretty easily.

Btw, this 40th Tube Screamer in Ruby Red looks like it was made for your guitar. Although maybe not sound wise for you.

E0BB633C-DF7D-4B4D-AFD8-FBECC33425F6.jpeg

3. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    DeArmond 2000s and a TS 808 are a really fun way to blow a couple hours....

Merc likes this.
  4. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    The dearmonds 2000 sorry to ask but the True 50' things or the ones that came with electromatics...Few years ago, they have bar magnets and Iron rods?

5. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The DeArmond 2000 are not made the same as the 50s DeArmonds. We have to bee a little careful as there are the 2000, fitted to the 512x range, and the 2K which was fitted on the 90s Fender DeArmond range of guitars. The 2K is built like a P90, with adjustable steel slugs with 2 magnets underneath. The 2000's fitted to the 512x range look identical, but are different internally.

This thread covers it in more detail.
    http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/i-was-wrong-dearmond-2k-2000-are-not-the-same-pickups.49632/

I happen to like both. The 2K is thicker, warmer, but not much top end, much like an underwound P90, whereas the 2000 is very similar to the more modern Gretch Dynasonic in sound, but built a little differently. The Dynasonic looks underneath like a hedgehog (herisonne) that has been run over by a car, with all its guts hanging out, which tends towards a lot of squealing in a hollow guitar.

Merc and j.s.c like this.
  6. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    So are yours from the 512x series? I swapped mine our for T armonds and always wondered if I did the right thing. But I did keep them

7. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Yup, 512x range. Less middy, which is great in my book. A usable neck pickup too.

8. Groutsch

Groutsch Electromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    That's the most disgusting description of a pickup I ever read.

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  9. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I got a silver jet that could be vamped up....just need to find time and motivation

10. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Yeah, I had the two 2k & 2000. I sold the 2k set when I put the 2000 to the test !
    Why? 2000 are more gretschy and twangy that the 2k, which is good but flatter.

audept likes this.
  11. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    I’ll take those t Armonds!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice