Duo jet upgrades

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Marcdjet, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Marcdjet

Marcdjet Electromatic

Feb 12, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my duo jet.
    It's got a space control bridge, would a Melita syncrosonic bridge be better?

How do I tell what pots are in it? I'd love to get the best but I'm not sure exactly what ones work for dynasonic pickups.

Tuners - what tuners are good? There are unbranded ones on it - they aren't open back but they have covers and there are lines on them.

Just want to get it up and running well.

Thanks!

rob batz likes this.
  2. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    I git synchro sonic bridges for sale in nickel and gold if u wanna try one

3. moosie

moosie Electromatic

Jun 17, 2014
    Connecticut
    My MIJ Jet came with a Melita. Dumped the bridge almost immediately, with prejudice. Almost anything would be better, IMO. I wound up putting a Compton on there, and it's great.

dmunson likes this.
  4. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    I put a Dbridge on mine very happy with it 4CD77C57-CFDA-42E4-87E6-847EE337DFD2.jpeg

5. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I did the same with my caddy green DJ.
    Couldn't play it with the Melita

6. moosie

moosie Electromatic

Jun 17, 2014
    Connecticut
    Yep. Mine's the Caddy Green as well.

Here it is with the Compton and a Chet Bigsby arm...

20190901_234400.jpg 20200212_171622.jpg

Henry, speedicut and new6659 like this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I also had a Caddy Green DuoJet 6128TCG with a Melita bridge. It was unplayable junk and mostly plastic. I changed it out for a Tru-Arc bridge ASAP and never looked back.
    GUITARS XMAS 2010 005.jpg

ZackyDog, Henry, Aymara and 1 other person like this.
  8. moosie

moosie Electromatic

Jun 17, 2014
    Connecticut
    That's right, I forgot about the horrible plastic base. Otherwise a very nice guitar, fortunately.

audept likes this.
  9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Mine has a TruArc bar bridge, and it works fine. Don't forget that the tuners are the least likely culprit for any tuning stability problems and really only need changing if they're broken. My Jet has open back vintage style Grovers which work well enough.

They come with CTS pots as standard and again, unless they're broken they don't really need changing unless you want to experiment with the tone or taper.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Melita bridge is all that belongs on some Gretsch guitars, including Dyna Duo Jets, but that’s just me. I also converted to Embie-only but, well, they aren’t in business anymore and owe me 40 bucks for bronze saddles I never received. All a Melita needs are low profile screws, and some harder saddles, which again, aren’t available anymore. The plastic base is fine, it’s not robbing any more tone than rosewood or ebony. I use both a plastic base and have a black anodized aluminum bast on my Duo Jet.

Pots can be read on the back to determine values, you can post pics and we can tell ya :) 500k CTS is my choice for Dynas and Filtertrons. I never swap tuners unless I break one nowadays.

3B3E6251-7B74-4090-9A4D-556F55915462.jpeg

11. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    What year is your guitar? At least from 2003 -2012 Jets had Grover Sta-tites as tuners. I don't know what you have.
    The only thing I ever changed on any of my 4 Jets was the bridge and I put on bars (Comptons or Gretsch). I had a low profile Synchrosonic but I just didn't find it comfortable.

At least the older FMIC Gretschs (2003-2012) are just great, well built and put together guitars. There is really very little need to change things unless you like to tinker for fun.

12. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Scotty Moore didn't seem to have a problem...

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. Marcdjet

Marcdjet Electromatic

Feb 12, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Mine is a 1994 duo jet and I'm not really sure what tuners are on it

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    My Jet got Tru Arc bridge, TV Jones Classics, Sperzel locking tuners, Reverend soft spring and Vibromate String savers.

[​IMG]

ZackyDog, Henry, BorderRadio and 2 others like this.
  15. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Sounds like the tuners were already changed. That guitar originally had G logo sealed tuners that looked a little like Grover butterbeans. I have them on my 97 Red Sparkle Jet and they work fine. I have a feeling that your bridge has already been swapped out too as the stock bridge was a really poorly designed (about the only Gretsch part I have ever seen that's poorly designed) roller type bridge that sucked tone and volume.

Your pots, unless they too have been changed are cheapish mini pots. I still have them in my Jet because they work fine but I know lots of preFMIC owners change them out for full size pots.

16. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Changing to full size pots involved reaming out the holes when I die my 6120.

17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I'm partial to bar bridges, like The Truarc Rock Steady (non-rocking) or the Truarc Serpentine.

upload_2020-2-14_3-56-55.png

18. Marcdjet

Marcdjet Electromatic

Feb 12, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I'm worried with some of those flatter style bridges that they would easily come out of the ridges I have a heavy Right hand, and have had that problem at the start with my current bridge set up which is a space control bridge.

I also would love to get a black pickguard, but can't seem to find one anywhere never mind in the UK, anyone know where I could get one?

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice