Duo Jet Recommendation

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mhubbell, Feb 16, 2020.

1. mhubbell

mhubbell Electromatic

Jan 13, 2020
    Austin, Tx
    Hey guys, I have a guitar in mind that I want to buy but I can’t find one that checks all the boxes, hoping someone can help!

doesn’t need to be new, but any insight on best years on production would be great.. definitely want a pro line Japan version since this will be a one and done purchase and I do not want to modify it.

-Black Duo Jet
    -Thumbnail Inlays
    -Ebony Fingerboard
    -Bigsby
    -DynaSonic pickups

I prefer vintage spec to player series, but I’m not opposed to a modern iteration if there is one that checks the boxes

thanks!

2. johsonrod

johsonrod Country Gent

Apr 14, 2010
    Toronto
    I don’t think there was ever a factory model Duo Jet with thumbnails and dynas. You could always get a set of TV Jones flavoured dynas in a filtertron housing/cover.

new6659 and mhubbell like this.
  3. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Seconded. I'd get the vintage select '59 model and swap the pickups to T-Armonds. They sound great and pickups are an easy change on Jets.

Plus a vice soft V neck to boot.

new6659 and mhubbell like this.
  4. mhubbell

mhubbell Electromatic

Jan 13, 2020
    Austin, Tx
    I like that idea. Would the appearance of the guitar be different with the dyansonics installed in a Filter’Tron housing compared to if it was manufactured that way? Kinda nit picky, but just want to double check before going that route.

5. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    You'd have to use the Filter'Tron style pickup rings. The pickup itself can still look the same.

Here's some: https://tvjones.com/collections/guitar-pickups/t-armond

The no-ears and English mount ones will fit in place of a Filter'Tron. They'd probably look pretty cool with black rings on a black Jet.

6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    A086CCD4-611D-4D17-B780-5BA24C0B2209.jpeg
    1953 body with a 1957 neck. This is an old Duojet repaired by Gretsch in the late Fifties. Everything you want except da Bigs ;)

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Mr Swisher likes this.
  8. mhubbell

mhubbell Electromatic

Jan 13, 2020
    Austin, Tx
  9. mhubbell

mhubbell Electromatic

Jan 13, 2020
    Austin, Tx
    I love Julian Lage. I would consider his new Collings he’s coming out with, but I imagine it will be several thousand $$$

10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I‘ve heard 7k, dunno if that’s true...

11. mhubbell

mhubbell Electromatic

Jan 13, 2020
    Austin, Tx
    My guess is the street price will be 4,500 - 5,500 depending on the specific guitar etc... I feel like I’d pay a premium for a Gibson style guitar because their qc isn’t the best, but a Japanese Gretsch is hard to improve upon.

new6659 likes this.
  12. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    The Collings is handmade in the US with a very special bracing, Ron Ellis pickups, Waverly tuners...hard to beat I guess. A special kind of a Duo Jet-inspired guitar.

13. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Looks great, but as a pre FMIC model probably less chambered and heavier than more recent Duo Jets. Also the electronics are widely considered of a lower quality. Don't know much about the pre FMIC Dynas. Filters have ceramic magnets instead of Alnico, but I've never read about differences with pre FMIC Dynas.
    Hard, if not impossible to find another model with an ebony board, thumbnail markers and Dynas though.

14. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Are there any fans here of El Twanguero (Diego Garcia)? 8F07E408-4FF8-4C13-8EDF-3D16806FD083.jpeg He has a transition model ‘57 Duo Jet with DeArmonds, mud switch, and thumbnail inlays. I have not examined this instrument personally, so I cannot vouch about the factory originality.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice