Duo Jet pulling sharp, any ideas?

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by ADGC, Nov 8, 2018.

1. ADGC

ADGC Newbie

Nov 8, 2018
    Glasgow
    Hi,

I own a G6128T-1962 which I bought new two years ago. It has always been a bugger to keep in tune.

I've recently had the Bigsby removed and a Schaller Signum bridge put on. The guitar has a zero fret which has been dressed in case that was causing the issue, the nut has been widened three times now to accommodate 12-56 strings with a wound G.

I've taken it to a luthier who I trust but the issue is driving me mad. The next step is to upgrade the machine heads. I keep fresh strings on and lubricate the nut but this problem refuses to be fixed.

The worst are the A, D and G but most strings other than the top E are affected.

I hit it pretty hard and play Malcolm Young parts but I also have a White Falcon and tuning has never been a problem with that guitar.

Any advice welcomed, I am fed up with the bloody thing.

Many thanks

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    When does it go sharp? After string bends, or playing up the neck? If the strings are properly stretched and it's happening after big bends, I'd be thinking about the nut first then the tuners. Remember that with a zero fret the nut slots really only set the spacing, as the action over the first frets is set by the height of the zero fret, so you can run the slots wider to eliminate any snagging. Try a lighter set of strings, and see if it still happens.

The tuners often get the blame but rarely cause things to go sharp. If anything, slippage will make things go flat.

If it gets sharp as you play up the neck, that has to be an intonation issue. It can be caused by too high an action, a twisted neck, a poorly positioned bridge, incorrect saddle placement etc. Even gripping too hard can do it. It becomes a process of elimination.

Welcome to the forum, too!

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, ADGC! What did your luthier think the problem was? Did he say why he was unable to fix the problem?
    welcome mat loch ness.jpg

4. ADGC

ADGC Newbie

Nov 8, 2018
    Glasgow
    Many thanks- no, I'm generally just playing chords lower down the neck- hitting As, Es, Ds, pretty much just AC/DC rhythm stuff. It goes sharp immediately. I only do one bend in the whole set!

If I were to sit and hit a few A chords, it will be out of tune after 15 seconds tops.

@audept, I think initially he thought the nut grooves weren't filed deep enough at the headstock side (I couldn't swear to that though)... Taking it back in today and think he's going to replace the nut entirely.

Thanks guys

audept likes this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Keep on him. If he's a good luthier he will be able to fix it. If he can't then maybe it's time to look for another luthier.

Flynnski likes this.
  6. ADGC

ADGC Newbie

Nov 8, 2018
    Glasgow
    Thanks, I will. The previous attempts to fix the issue were by other luthiers, this guy is definitely obsessive enough to want to sort the problem and does a lot of high end work. I'm sure we'll get there in the end...

Will keep you informed, was just interested to know if anyone else has had this problem. A friend of mine has the midrange model of this guitar and uses 12-56s, he's never had any bother!

audept likes this.
  7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT ,ADGC!

Hope ya get this sorted out sir,sounds frustrating.

8. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    You asked if anyone else has this problem, the quick answer is no one to that extreme that I know of. The bigsby equipted Gretsch’s often times have a adjustment period at first where they must get tweaked in a few different ways before they hold tune well.

However, to have a guitar that goes sharp in a mater of seconds is highly unusual. Find another luthier.

9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Good luck. If it's going sharp, I doubt it is the tuners. I agree that sharp tends to be binding at the nut. Does it have a bigsby? If so, try rotating the spring a bit.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I see you said you removed the Bigsby. I would also double check the bridge saddle. It's possible energetic strumming pulls the string over the bridge and it binds.