Dumb amp question

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by noelweller, Jun 25, 2008.

1. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I have a Fender Blues Deluxe reissue, I love the sound but it is a monster. how can I tame the beast or should I get a smaller amp and push it harder?

what is best push a small amp hard or not push a large amp?

2. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    A Weber Mass or minimass (or any attenuator, really) will work well if you need that big sound from time to time. But if you never need the loudness, buy a smaller amp!

I use one with my Deluxe Reverb Reissue and it's great. Gives me good tube overdrive without the deafness! (or the wife's complaints!)

3. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    AAAH CMON, Man yous gots to play that BD loud!!!! ;) I have one too. It is such a cool amp! I had a bassman back in 76 and I swear the distortion sounds exactly the same. I see you have a Champ also, that should do the trick for quiet break up. I know what you mean though it is a kickin amp,really loud for 40 watts!:eek:

Attached Files:

4. bobframe

bobframe Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    US
    Have you ever looked into a product made by Dr.Z called an Air Brake (I think that's the name of it)? Supposedly you can use it to get cranked amp tone, but attenuate the volume down to bedroom levels. Go to Dr Z's site and you'll find a description of it there.

Here's a link: http://www.drzamps.com/airbrake.html

5. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I have just learned about the Dr Z, and plan on doing some research. I love the tone that amp can give you.. hence why i bought it. I agree with Bobkat I can get a sweet bassman like tone out of it when I can turn it up.

6. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    noel, I just got done with practice and my poor old ears are ringin! Gotta get out of the basement! Way too much bounce back down here.

7. Pappy

Pappy Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Georgia
    The Air Brake is a great option. I love them.

8. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Would a Weeber Power Tap be the same thing as a Airbrake or MinMass? I like it cause you can get it in Tweed or Blackface.

9. getbent

getbent Super Moderator

Jun 1, 2008
    sunny california
    all good ideas...

buy a bad monkey.

10. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    recklinghausen, germany
    i also came to the conclusion, that it is a good idea to have an excellent clean soud first, and the dirty things up with a stompbox.

11. Studio1087

Studio1087 Electromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Near Milwaukee
    When did attenuators get so expensive?

I had an Altair Power Attenuator in college that cost $99 and could turn my Band Master up to 10 and dial the speaker volume back. The overdrive and sustain were heavenly.

I see these going for $370 and think ouch!

[​IMG]

http://www.amptone.com/thdhotplate.htm

If I had to spend $370 on an attenuator I might consider leaving my big amp alone and buying a VOX AD30VT for practice, The VOX amp is about $270 and it has an attenuator on it's rear end.

Yes college was 22 years ago.
    No I'm not as old as dust just yet. ;)

John

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  12. Studio1087

Studio1087 Electromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Near Milwaukee
    Here you go man. I had one of these for five years. You could drag this behind a car and it would still work to perfection.

Altair Power Soak circa 1982......

Altair Power Soak Linky

13. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    I had an original Blues Deluxe that I wish I still had. I used it with a Marshall JCM900 2x10 amp for my distortion / lead sound. When playing a small club, I would use a second Tube Screamer for a bit of break up and back off the volume. I would keep it on most of the time in those situations. It worked well for lower volume situations, but I don't think any amp sounds their best unless they are being pushed hard with nothing between it and the guitar. A good sounding amp kind of reminds me of a Harley Davidson. They sound good at idle but when you hit the throttle they should come to life and make your heart race!

14. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Another plug for the mini-mass and Deluxe Reverb combination. I've been using one (mini-mass) for a couple of years and couldn't be more happy with it.

15. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    I find the Weber Mass is less expensive than the THD's or the Airbrakes and therefore much more attractive to me!

What can I say, I'm a cheap S.O.B. The reality is I will spend as much as it takes to get good tone! Cause I'm also a guitar player!

I picked up my Weber for a ridiculously good price used. I have zero complaints about it. It performs quite well in all situations and really helps my tone while practicing without causing that beautiful ringing!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  16. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I am goin out today to look at some of these guys. I am in love with my amp cranked. I got to crank it last night bein as everybody went out on the town so my buildin was vacated... sweet sweet tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice