Dream car or Bike

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, May 4, 2020.

1. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    When I was about 16 I worked with a guy with a tricked out Camaro, 1969. It was fast, could pull wheelies. I told him I wanted an MG. He said, "What do you want to do, drive down curvy roads at 45 mph?" I said, exactly. That's why I've had my Miata for 11 years! (2009)

new6659 and wabash slim like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've gone from one extreme to another. From big 4X4s to little two seat roadsters. I'd happily take a Miata. Closest thing made these days to a Triumph or MG roadster---and, it has AC and a real electrical system.

Sabato likes this.
  3. afire

afire Country Gent

When I was a little kid, I got to go for a spin in a couple of 1980s Duesenberg IIs, one a Murphy Roadster (the only time I've ridden in a rumble seat), the other a Dual Cowl Phaeton.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The founder of the company, General Dick Braund, was a friend of my grandfather, who was also an avid antique car collector, and these were made in Wisconsin. When he'd be in the area, he'd stop to pay a visit to my mother and take us for rides. They are unbelievable cars. Custom built from the ground up on a chassis with the correct original wheelbase, coachwork and matching original examples, interiors based on originals, correct sized wheels and whitewalls, but with a modern Ford drivetrain, modern comfort features concealed in the original dash layout, and modern(ish) safety standards. And in 1980, one of these would set you back $125,000, so adjusted for inflation, they were actually even more expensive than the originals.

Thinking about it, one of these might actually be my dream car. My nephew has a 1931 Ford Model A Phaeton. I went for a ride with him, and holy cow, no thanks. That thing is a bear to drive, and temperamental. So, that cured me of ever wanting a real 1920s or 1930s car. One of these, on the other hand, I could see myself in.

Bertotti, blueruins, Merc and 2 others like this.
  4. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Totally!!! I never knew.

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Some of those early cars are quite something,i wouldn't want to own one though, but still look at this;

1914 American Underslung 642 Roadster ,it's HUGE!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TubeLife, new6659, blueruins and 2 others like this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    1926 Bugatti Royale

[​IMG]
    1927,i have a model of this .
    [​IMG]
    And a bigger model of this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Bertotti and Merc like this.
  7. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    It look great but I don't want a car to be driven in but to drive!

JC higgy likes this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    This is what i'd want in a Bugatti,the Chiron

[​IMG]

Wozob, Bertotti, Sabato and 1 other person like this.
  9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    For some reason this reminds me of Chitty. I know it’s nothing like it and likely just the big wheels.

AA7CB85B-45A7-4916-A592-66973EDA86D8.jpeg

Bertotti and Sabato like this.
  10. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Lamborghini Aventador SVJ,a shame these will probably be the last naturally aspirated Lambo V12 .

[​IMG]

Merc and Sabato like this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    7F715F03-53DE-475A-82DD-DD13804C27E4.jpeg

I drove Phyllis Dillers 1968 Excalibur once....Ok, so all I did was drive it around a dealership parking lot where she was having it worked on. It was in the way of a car the salesperson was showing my buddy’s dad. Sales guy tossed me the keys to move the Excalibur around to the back. Gutsy guy, I was 17 at the time.

https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/ds-1968-excalibur-series-i-phaeton/

JC higgy, Bertotti, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I got drive one once. My wife's neighbor, Homer Fitterling, owned 28 of them. He was one of the owners of the company that transported Studebakers around the US. He'd hand a driver a check, and have him pick up a Deusy on his way back to South Bend. He also had fire trucks, 30 head of bison, and 4,000 acres of mint. They weren't restored (or stored) correctly, but they survived. I'd suspect Leno got a few of them when Homer passed. Duesenbergs were built in Auburn IN, along with Auburns and Cords. They never had large numbers. The bare chassis went for 10 times what a complete Ford did, and then you'd have to pay a body builder like Murphy to finish it. Hard to survive the Great Depression that way. Amazing autos with incredible engines, and had amazing hand built bodies. Sad to see the likes of these machines go by the wayside.

new6659, Sabato and radd like this.
  13. 64ChevSS

64ChevSS Gretschie

Dec 24, 2016
    Innisfil, Ontario
    The Niekamp Roadster. The winner of the very first America's Most Beautiful Roadster award in 1950.

Neikamp Roadster.jpg

I have had a thing for this car since I bought the January 1978 issues of Hot Rod magazine.
    They did a story about it being restored back to it's 1950 specs.
    It was originally in Hot Rod mag in March 1950.

It got 20 miles per gallon, ran the quarter in 15.5@86 mph and had a top speed of 142 mph.
    These are great numbers for a home build with the technology and parts of the time.

14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

What a beautiful and tasteful hot rod. Thanks for posting the pic and story

Merc likes this.
  15. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    As someone who came of driving age in the early 90s, this is the only Bugatti that mattered back then, and it's still my favorite. I have seen a few in the metal before, and they are simply incredible.
    [​IMG]

JC higgy, Merc and blueruins like this.
  16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Oh no, that is so sad, no, no, no...

This is the most beautiful Bugatti ever made..

Clearly this is not a matter of opinion, just a historical fact :D

D577C7A0-43C2-4A50-B5FB-D128F1D49C3F.jpeg 61ED71D1-5D1C-462B-AA43-865B02637966.jpeg

dougmon, Bertotti and wabash slim like this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Isn't this the model that caused the demise of dancer Isadora Duncan when her too long scarf got caught in the spokes of the wheel?

radd and new6659 like this.
  18. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Try going to Costco in that;)

radd likes this.
  19. afire

afire Country Gent

I never thought much about it as a kid when I was getting rides in them, but it's fascinating that these cars with bespoke coach work and fine details on par with what was being done in the 1920s were being built in tiny Elroy, WI, so many years later where my mom grew up. General Braund (enlisted and rose to the rank of brigadier general) died in '88. The company lasted into the 2010s. Evidently the total production ended up being about 70 cars over about 30 or so years, so roughly two per year. But from what I can tell, I think the bulk of them were built early on in the 1980s. Not one I ever got to see, and built after Dick Braund had died, but the Torpedo Sedan is the one that I'd pick as my dream car. It was a show car in 1933, and the Elroy factory recreated it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Merc, JC higgy, blueruins and 3 others like this.
  20. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm with you. I'd skew more towards 1930s than your example, but same general idea. A 1990s Bugatti? Sorry, nope.

radd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice