Dream car or Bike

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, May 4, 2020.

1. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I believe the gag goes that it requires special Lucas tools; I've not seen them advertised.
    Every electrical device can be a smoke machine - once... :D

wabash slim likes this.
  2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I really love these - and specifically the wagons. Timeless.

MTurner and Merc like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The only concept car I’ve ever see in person was Fords 49 at a dealer in black back in 2006. It looked stellar in person.

8C25D8B7-E742-4D35-A058-4F540AF09504.jpeg 8389C80A-CAE3-4E47-9B2B-A6927480E2AE.jpeg 1BA647FF-8850-4696-8E1D-9BA1BA5432FF.jpeg

new6659, JC higgy, blueruins and 3 others like this.
  4. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I heard another one for Pontiac, but I'm not saying it here...

The most odd thing to me is that Louis Chevrolet was a founder of the Chevrolet Motor Car Company and after four years sold it to partner Durant, but for 109 years it's been named Chevrolet.

Redliner likes this.
  5. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Merc likes this.
  6. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Certainly looks good!

Showcars, Concept-cars and the like ... are generally cool, often a lot cooler than one would wish his own vehicle to be.

I even like the idea of nuclear-driven cars. I mean, I know exactly why this would never be a good idea to actually do (there are several reasons even a fan of nuclear power in stationary plants must admit that a nuclear reactor in a passenger car is not among the greatest ideas...), but I like the approach of showing the possible, of not only repeating the stuff already known, but employ new ideas, research and develop them with any imaginable sincerity. Even if it doesn't take much to see that they are bad, the process of developing it into more usability is likely to have a lot of valuable outcomes improving the more normal cars, often so invisible to the customer (the rightfully loved 5-link-suspension of current Mercedes is a result of the test-orgies committed with the C-111).

This goes on every level, from the entire layout and approach to the details of different valvetrain variabilities and their effects or the amount of sodium to be placed inside a valve stem for cooling and so on, on, on, on, on, on.

:D

I'm not a fan of phrases along "thinking outside the box", as there shouldn't even ever have been any box at all, ...

... maybe this isn't to be blablaed-out in totality here. I might bore someone...

... Dream car of the day according to Mr.C: Lancia Aurelia! One of the finest cars made in the fifties, containing a lot of cool technology, and certainly a real progressive vehicle in its time - a brilliantly executed suspension, transaxle, brakes on the inner side (where they belong ... mass moment of inertia of the rear axle has to be low to keep the eigenmodes at a high frequency, therefore mass that usually is attached on the outer side is to be removed from there if possible - and so they did), one of the first V6 in series production, a cool layout of the cylinder head (placement of valves, OHV but still cool - like in a Guzzi, but the ports are rotated around the valves so the intakes face the inside, exhaus face outside), all housing parts made of aluminum (sleeves of course are cast iron - those XYZ-Sil-coatings weren't available until the seventies), a perfect weight distribution, - and they look really beautiful, even on the outside:

[​IMG]

... rear axle with gearbox:

[​IMG]

...engine, a close look might reveal what's said above...:

[​IMG]

... and a few words about it:

https://www.autozine.org/Archive/Lancia/classic/Aurelia.html

Merc and Wozob like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My Harley leaks oil to mark my spot!
    Loud pipes save lives.

DennisC and stevo like this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The bowtie logo came from wallpaper in Paris.

Sabato likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My wife works at our local Chevy dealership, my brother in law and both of his sons work at the Corvette factory in Kentucky. I drive Chevys coz they stopped building Studes.

Sabato likes this.
  10. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Admiral Rickover's submarine nuclear power plant was infinitely safer than the commercial plants.
    And in case George Bush is listening: It's NU Clee err not NU Ku Lar

DennisC likes this.
  11. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Couldn't you get a super deal on a vette? I spose your wife gets the deals.

12. Redliner

Redliner Electromatic

May 7, 2011
    Fleetwood, PA
    I think I know the other one you mean, that is the only one I ever knew until my room mate at auto/diesel school told me the one I posted. Always interested me how the early automotive days worked, as far as who owned what and how things changed. Also lots of obscure makes that came and went depending on how long their money held out.

Sabato likes this.
  13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    He had to fight for that safer design though. Amazingly.

Sabato likes this.
  14. Redliner

Redliner Electromatic

May 7, 2011
    Fleetwood, PA
    Took the tour of the Bowling Green plant twice. Was going to drive my 82 Vette down there the first time we went but hadn't had a chance to go through it and make sure it could do the trip. Lots of nice Studes, would love a Golden Hawk myself.

Sabato likes this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The Vette plant tour is even better than the Vette museum across the street. You ought to go to the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend IN as well.

Sabato likes this.
  16. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Makes me think of Tucker, which was mostly a car made from other cars....

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We're on the A plan. Can't afford a new one anyhow. Don't want a Vette---they're just overpriced plastic snow plows. I really don't need a car that'll break every speed limit in the country in first gear. I'd prefer a Camaro were I to go that route. I'm more into 4WD. TBH, I'm really disappointed in the new Blazers. Ford did it right with the new Broncos, but the new Blazer's just another run of the mill SUV, not the serious off-roaders the original ones were.

I'll stick with my '99 Jeep Sport Cherokee. It's worn, it's rusted, and it's paid for. It'll outlast me.

Sabato likes this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I never was ashamed of George Junior, tho.
    Bits and pieces, here and there. Continental aircraft engine, rear mounted, years before the Corvair. Tucker was years ahead of everyone else, and got stomped by the Big 3 and the government.

19. Redliner

Redliner Electromatic

May 7, 2011
    Fleetwood, PA
    Been to the Vette museum couple times, have to admit I am more of a car guy who happens to have bought a Vette than a dyed in the wool Corvette owner. If money were no object, I would be another Jay Leno probably. Hard to pick only one all time favorite ride.

One summer the wife and I did a car museum vacation. We went to the Studebaker Museum, loved that one. Then we went to the ACD Museum in Auburn and was impressed with that place. We then went up to the Gilmore in Michigan, another good one. My wife is car nuts also so I didn't have to beg her to take the trip. Also stopped at Sweetwater and Elderly so there was something guitar related in the trip.

wabash slim and Sabato like this.
  20. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    It made for a good movie...

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice