Dr. Feelgood - opinions please

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Floo, May 15, 2019.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I saw many incarnations of Dr. Feelgood and every lineup was awesome. Different but awesome.

Floo likes this.
  2. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Ok, thank you all for your contributions.
    To make it short - me and the band will be the supporting act for Dr. Feelgood at a free concert/Blues-weekend on a saturday evening. I just wanted to know wether they would make like 1500+ people scream with excitement or if we should expect 150 bored beerdrinkers. Usually there are 1200-1300 people attending that Saturday evening concert, a little less on Sunday morning. The gig is definitely taking place, so I was just wondering how you all think about DF.

Trash Kidd and loudnlousy like this.
  3. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Wilko's son plays guitar for this mob. You can virtually smell the Essex in this video.

loudnlousy, Uncle Daddy and Floo like this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Is a gretsch still a gretsch? None of the people who designed the guitars, built the brand, etc. are around anymore. Or are they really just tribute guitars fortunate to have bought the trademark?

Floo likes this.
  5. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I really envy you. This should be something really special.

In the nineties my friend Horst worked at Kalms cases Hannover. He told me that there are three cathegories of flight cases.
    Economy, deluxe and Dr. Feelgood-quality.
    The latter where built of ultra-heavy duty plywood. Because that band usually passes through more than 200 gigs a year and only the heaviest-duty equipment could stand that torture.

When I was a kid there were two bands I had the opportunity to watch that I would consider really intimidating and dangerous: Dr. Feelgood and Herman Brood. Forget the Sex Pistols and kids like that.

Both seeemed to be the baddest and most dangerous drinkers/drug-addicts, fist-fighting rowdy genius rock`n roll acts you can imagine.
    Noone dared to play after them. They came, saw and left the place burned to the ground. Taking all the young girls with them.

In fact they where far more spectacular and intimidating than any 80ies Hair-metal band like Motley Crue. Because they were veterans, far older and more crazy than these young wannabees.
    Making a carreer and earning money seemed not to be their main point.
    Struggeling, suffering and living the dream. That`s the reason why i still buy this band although there is not one original member left, alas.
    Gypie Mayo (RIP), Wilko Johnson (glad that he survived cancer), Steve Walvyn. Absolute madmen. No virtuosos but sheer brutes.
    They stand in the same tradition as Bernie Thorme (RIP), Fast Eddie Clarke (RIP) and all that british brilliant underdog-cats that convince you with sheer attitude.
    Compared to this guys I feel like an old fart athough I am far younger in years.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Henry, Ricochet and Floo like this.
  6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I've been to a few weddings like this, which is why we eloped.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I thought I would not live the day to see a mention of Herman Brood (and his Wild Romance) on a Gretsch forum. Dany Lademacher was my hero. Rock and Roll personified and using solid state to boot.

loudnlousy likes this.
  8. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    I've got a 150 year old hatchet. It's only had 5 new handles and three new heads.

larryb and loudnlousy like this.
  9. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    So today it has been officially announced:
    Dr. Feelgood is going to play at the "City Blues" in Elmshorn (near Hamburg, Germany) on Aug 31st. It's a free concert, starting at 7 pm with me and my band as supporting act for DF. The next day will see kind of an all-star-jam with several musicians that have played there in recent years, beginning at 11am.
    https://www.holz-junge.de/aktuelles/veranstaltungen/city-blues-2019.html

loudnlousy likes this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow, congrats!

Floo likes this.
  11. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Wow. I`ll better check my calendar. Elmshorn is not too far away from my home.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Floo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice