Dr. Feelgood - opinions please

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Floo, May 15, 2019.

1. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    It's somewhat related to drmilktruck 's post about who you'd like to see, still touring. But this one is specific, indeed.
    Has anybody seen Dr. Feelgood recently? I know there is no original founding member in the lineup anymore, but how do they perform at the moment? Are they worth seeing, would you go to a concert?
    There is a very special background to this question that I can't reveal at this moment, but will do in maybe a week's time (if anybody still is interested in this thread).

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had no idea. Not one original member, wouldn't that be a tribute band?
    I love the original band btw.

conanb, Philtertronic and Floo like this.
  3. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I have You Tubed the current band and they do seem to rock, it's just for me with no Wilko or Lee, they're just not Dr Feelgood. The drummer has been with them since Lee was still around. But it's a classic example of the Ship of Theseus paradox:

Suppose that the famous ship sailed by the hero Theseus in a great battle has been kept in a harbour as a museum piece. As the years go by some of the wooden parts begin to rot and are replaced by new ones. After a century or so, all of the parts have been replaced. Is the "restored" ship still the same object as the original?

ponca, drmilktruck and Floo like this.
  4. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    I’ve seen twice Wilko Johnson in the ‘90ies. Fantastic!

Yukimajo likes this.
  5. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    Without Lee and Wilco like Stones without Jagger and Richards. No Way

6. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    Would Wilko get involved? I dunno. He's having too much fun on his own and with The Blockheads. But you never know.

Trash Kidd and Floo like this.
  7. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    I guess he would not but without two of them they shouldnt call them selves Dr.F.

Trash Kidd, Floo and Yukimajo like this.
  8. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Well, the actual members except the singer have been playing with Lee in the '80s and '90s. Dunno if Wilko is involved, but I guess not.
    I can understand that some of you think they are more of a tribute band, but I'm just wondering if they are worth seeing. A whole lot of normal folks won't know the difference, they see the name "Dr. Feelgood" and either they like the band and go to the concert or don't know/like them and don't go.
    I'm just wondering if they still draw attention and are a good band to see (especially for free...)

9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    We’ve discussed this in the past, some say the key contributors must be there, others say it’s more about continuing the tradition and spirit. I’m in the latter camp. If the band plays the tunes well, they’re worth seeing, regardless of what you call them.

The example I’ve used that might apply here is the Southern rock band Molly Hatchett from the 70s. All original members except the drummer are dead. The current iteration of the band has been touring together since the 90s, with several members from the 80s. The show was great fun when I saw them last fall. Well worth an evening. It’s as close as you can get to the “real thing” and it’s the only option if you want to hear the music. (Of course, the current singer just died two weeks ago!)

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Floo likes this.
  10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Essex boys doing proppa pub rock!

Philtertronic, Floo and Yukimajo like this.
  11. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    He does it right!

drmilktruck, Floo and Yukimajo like this.
  12. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Hi @Floo

As I said the current line up does rock and if you get to see them free then I'd say go for it. You will have a great time. They are just not the Dr Feelgood I am into. I like Wilko's song writing and even after he left they went off the boil for me, so don't let my hang up prevent you having a fun night.

Floo likes this.
  13. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I saw Dr Feelgood live about 4 years ago.
    Pretty sad state of affairs..
    Just 4 old blokes looking tired going through the motions!
    No original members = Tribute band that shouldn’t really be using the name!
    Go see Wilko live... he’s still as energetic & exciting as ever..

Yukimajo, Floo, stiv and 2 others like this.
  14. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Off-topic: Hey mate, I saw you played Rockaway Beach last weekend... good stuff! How it went? :)

Trash Kidd likes this.
  15. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    It was an ok night at Rockaway Beach!
    Terrible sound due to no sound check/line check but fun.
    That was my last show with Kult 45s. Sadly I’ve left the band coz of some personal issues with another band member.
    In good news I’ve a new band up & running called “Imperfect Creatures” got a great & very talented line up & rehearsals start this Saturday:)

stiv likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I would never pay for a tribute band...oh wait. ;)

Floo likes this.
  17. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Ok! Well, like we say over here, "when a door is closing, then maybe a gate is opening" ;). I saw you guys were playing 'cause I had my girls (an all-female proto punk band I'm producing) lined up for that night as well but in the end it would be too much squeezing, so they'll be back in October for a Garageland night at The Shacklewell Arms. :).

Trash Kidd likes this.
  18. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Remind me about that show nearer the time.. I’ll try & get along.

stiv likes this.
  19. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    I'm fortunate to have spent 29 days on the road with Dr. Feelgood in 77. Granted it was Mayo on guitar for that tour but they never disappointed or got old for me. I stuck around and watched each night as they whipped the crowd into a frenzy. Good memories. Great band!

TeeDub, mbkri, dankas11 and 3 others like this.
  20. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    I'd pass, not the same band

Floo and Trash Kidd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice