Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Doyle Dykes' New White Falcon

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by JLoud, Jul 29, 2012.

1. JLoud

JLoud Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2011
    Gretschland
    Hey Folks,
    Went to see Doyle Dykes this evening. Since I read he had come over the the FMIC Camp I was interested to see his gear. He played a F47 Guild, a Guild 12 string, a new nylon string guitar that will be added to the Guild lineup that is made by a friend of Doyle's in CA. He also played a very nice Telecaster but the best of the evening was when he brought out a beautiful Gretsch White Falcon. I noticed it had single coil Pickups. I asked Doyle after the show and he said they were Dearmonds. Man, it sounded awesome.

Attached Files:

CatTones likes this.
  2. fender62custom

fender62custom Friend of Fred

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
  3. iowa

iowa Gretschie

Jun 3, 2008
    corn country
    I saw Doyle at a Taylor clinic in Illinois some years back. Not only is he a monster player but really seems like a great guy. He also had his daughter with him and she is quite a player as well.
    I'd love to hear what he sounds like on a Gretsch. What amp was he playing. I believe he had a Rivera signature amp at one time.

4. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france

Old 2017 Grestch contents for the release of the "return of the falcon" record...
    Great play, very very cool guitars, of course !

CatTones likes this.
  5. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    Reminds me of the story of Chet putting his guitar a chair and saying "well how does it sound now" after being told his guitar sounded good :) Doyle could make a piece of string stretched on a broom handle sound good I think.

I've always been a bit puzzled by White Falcons - they are supposedly top of the line but I struggle to think of too many top players that actually performed with them as their main instrument. I know Chet owned some - I've heard stories of him giving them away to up and coming players. I'm sure someone here will set me straight lol.

6. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Neil Young
    Sylain Sylvain (New York Dolls)

j.s.c and rob batz like this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It basically was the Jimmy Webster model.........Malcolm Young, Steve Marriott, Lowell Fulson, Steven Stills.

j.s.c likes this.
  8. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    Doyle Dykes is a fantastic guitar picker and a great guy. If I have my facts straight, he is also an ordained preacher. I really enjoy his music.

9. rob batz

rob batz Gretschie

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Joe strummer ( before his tele) , salvain salvain, Billy Duffy , oh True story , joe strummer was givin his white falcon by their manager Malcom after he got it as payment or (stole it) , from the 2 weeks he managed the dolls when they broke up, dude from Adams ants

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  10. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    "Steve Marriott" + a falcon... I didn't know that. I would like to see and heard that if you can post something. I saw Steve and a jet (probably a 58/60 6121 refinished in black) but never saw him with a flacon really...

11. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You got it!

j.s.c likes this.
  12. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france