Doublecut Jets?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Uncle Daddy, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Been a big fan of single cutaway Jets since got my first projet from Marlin (sadly missed here) in a trade, and my red sparkle is a keeper. Anyone here a fan of double cutaway Jets? You don't often see them for sale. I was wondering what the neck access is like; is it much the same as a single cut? neck dive? Control positions?

jfassett likes this.
  2. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Neck dive was a problem on my Broadway jade DC, however, a strap button on the heal of the neck eliminated the problem and now the guitar is super comfortable and feels very light as well

j.s.c likes this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Neck access is amazing. As a mater of fact, it is disorienting after playing single cuts for so long. I keep finding myself moving to far up the neck during lead play because the 12 fret is so far from the body.

4. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I recently became a doublecut fan when I used an Electro in Tahiti Red while amp shopping. Didn't care for either amp I tried but I took home the Electro. Gigged with it immediately and got good results. Inferring that a Pro Line version could only be better, I bought a Broadway Jade Penguin from another GT-er and love its big chunky neck. Neck dive is an issue for me, too, on that one, but I'll find a way to remedy that once I get it set up the way I like it. I'd be gigging with the red one more if Reverend hadn't gone and come out with those new Sensei RTs with Bigsby in sparkly finishes. But that's another story. (Double) thumbs up for doublecut Jets.

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Sorry, the double cut Jet design is not my taste, conversely to single cut Jet... :oops:

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

speedicut and jfassett like this.
  6. davenumber2

davenumber2 Electromatic

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
    I do the same thing with an SG.

radd likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Dude. Get a double cut jet. SOME have better upper fret access. My DCM jet and the BJPs have the necks join at the 19th fret. Many other DC jets have a longer joint, probably the same as the single cut - e.g. the firebird.

And . . . Symmetry!

8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a few doublecut Jets. The upper fret access is really good but avoid the versions with the long neck tenon if access is your priority. My standard doublecut Jets don't exhibit very much neck-dive with a wide leather strap, but my 2 doublecut Penguins are definitely neck-heavy.

ZackyDog likes this.
  9. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Love double cuts, we have had zero issues with them. The accessibility, reduced weight score two additional points with me.

I ended up giving my son my 1989 Gretsch G6128T-62.
    He wasn't sure what is was because all the kids were playing Strats and Teles.
    He had a 5120, so I let him try it. He and that guitar were inseparable. He even used it for his Senior pictures. It was his "go to" guitar, and still loves it, since he is a far better musician than me, I don't have the heart to ask for it back.

Attached Files:

new6659 and audept like this.
  10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Great story, love the pic

mrfixitmi likes this.
  11. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I had a modern double cut that was a great guitar but had just enough neck dive to tweak my already tweaked back - eventually over come with guitar tweaking. Latter, I got an older, solid mahogany double cut pro jet. About 4 lbs heavier and (oddly enough) no neck dive and no back issues! Dumped the factory pups for some TVJs and I'm pretty much in love. IMG_4001 (2).jpg

mrfixitmi likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don’t have a DC Jet but my Penguin Broadway Jade DC does have a bit of neck dive but doesn’t it doesn’t bother me. I would say in the Jets if it has a standard neck join the fret access would be similar to a single cut, the long neck join. But with a short neck join you can get right up there easier so it feels like better access. So, if you are using the neck heel as a landmark you could get misplaced.

13. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    No deck dives with this jet either, maybe we play with lighter hands. I understand the physics, with a shorter neck joint, so it may cause concern with some. With our jets, we have had no issues or concerns. Here is the other Dbl cut that has not given us any neck issues, however, it is about 1.5 pounds heavier than the 1989 pictured earlier Champagne Jet (2).jpg

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    My Penguin is the heaviest electric I have at 9lbs.1.5 ounces.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  15. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

You must not own a Gibson Les Paul:D

mrfixitmi and new6659 like this.
  16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Here's my doublecut Jets/Penguins:
    6129-TC 020.jpg Frank x 4 007.JPG G6128T-1962 004.jpg 6128T-DCM & 6128-TC 027.jpg 6134-1962FSR 006.JPG 6134TDC-LTD15 003.JPG

17. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Man audept!! ! That champagne sparkle makes me more than just a little firm!!! You also still have your DCM!! One of the only guitars I really regret moving on!!

new6659 and audept like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You are correct. two Strats, a Minarick Lotus studio which is 2 oz less than the Penguin at 8lbs 15.5 oz, and the Penguin. I do have a Sears 1970's sg copy but it is out of commission currently. I really love that white DC Penguin in Audepts pictures.

radd likes this.
  19. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    audept likes this.
  20. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Got this double cut Electro in a trade and it's a really nice guitar in all respects, although it's not getting much play time these days since the 5622T turned up.
    20180118_155719.jpg

mrfixitmi and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice