Double sided adhesive tape glued my bridge

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Yann G, May 15, 2019.

1. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    It depends on the tape thickness of course. The one used in the OP pictures looked like the kind you'd use for attaching mirrors on the wall :).

Henry and audept like this.
  2. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Is there any softness or rubberiness (is that a word?) to the remaining residue. Any stretching or other movement that does not result in hard crumbly particles? If so, then you might be able to try one or two tricks that work on automotive finishes to avoid chemicals. The first is a rubber bar eraser like kids use - NOT a fret eraser. Make sure there are no loose dirt particles on the surface and then start working at the edge of the residue, pressing lightly with the eraser and pulling it toward the center of the residue. If the residue is soft enough, the eraser should softly “grab” the residue and pull it back away from the finish. You might try applying a little heat with a hairdryer first, or maybe a soft cloth heated with warm water and wrung out - hold it over the residue spot, but don’t scrub. The other method seems counterintuitive, in that it involves using a new piece of the same or similar tape. Apply the tape over the residue spot and lift it off again. Don’t use a lot of pressure when applying the new tape - use your fingernail to “feel” through the tape and apply light pressure only where there is residue. And don’t try either method if there’s no give to the residue.

new6659 likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    :eek::eek::eek::confused:

4. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Not all luthiers are created equal.

They are all created equal, the first time they turn their hand to working on a guitar. Some then rise to great heights, while others lie for ever in incompetence and ignominy.

rcboals likes this.
  5. Altho a bit different use of heat to get glue off . . .
    I had glue stuck to the fretboard side under the nut when changing to TusqXL, and got out the exacto knife.

Really was not having fun, until I put the exacto blade into a single candle flame . . . voilà !
    Like butter.

6. Grez

Grez Electromatic

Apr 29, 2015
    Petaluma, CA
    I saw a couple of pinned bridge photos and though I would mention that, if I'm asked to do this, I position the bridge, then tape it down very well. Then remove the strings, the bridge top and the thumb wheels and drill the locating pins just inside the studs so they will be covered by the thumb wheels when everything is reassembled.

7. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    WD40 or Goo Gone works great. This is the only correct way to do this. All other techniques are just wrong. :) :) I would also recommend using dental floss under the bridge as the the WD40 or Goo Gone works as it softens the glue on the tape. I find it so hard to not share my super vast amount of knowledge and experience with others. ;) (this is supposed to be humorous)

8. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I'm not kidding at all. WD40 and Windex will not affect the finish in any way, shape or form other than removing any wax that may be on it. WD40 is mostly kerosene anyhow.

Guitars aren't some magical thing - they're wood products. I do woodworking. It's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

9. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    I’m guessing the guitar sounds much better with the tape off. I put two sided tape under one of my bridges and it robbed the tone.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A lot of stuff works “fine” when in a bind, but it’s hard to see the long term effects. Not all guitar finishes are created equal. Poly is def okay, but I would not chance it with Nitro, particularly as the make up and application tends to vary between manufacturers/builders.
    Fact is WD40 is way more aggressive than Naptha or rubbing alcohol. Why chance it?

Windex, not sure here. I tried it as string cleaner once and the next day my strings were corroded twice as bad as before the clean. :D

Jena likes this.
  11. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    The bridge could have moved a little over time from playing it and hand pressure.
    So I wouldn't automatically blame the old luthier for the string misalignment.:)

S Mac

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Yann G likes this.
  12. Yann G

Yann G Electromatic

May 12, 2019
    europe
    I remember being disappointed by the misalignment after he taped it (he was young and supposedly inexperienced), but I guess the playing has pushed the bridge an extra millimetre :)

13. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Why doesn't Gretsch pin all their bridges?

14. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    For those of us who like to swap them out for Compton, Tru-Arc etc. It's a good thing they don't.
    You would have to (in many cases) unpin and move them a little.

S Mac

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Yann G, Jena, audept and 1 other person like this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I had to have 2 of my Gretsch pro-line bridge bases unpinned so I could get perfect intonation with Comptons. Worked great and totally reversible if needed.

Jena likes this.
  16. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    I get that, but the pins on my 2420 are very unobtrusive. The bridge pins run right through the base, sticking out the bottom by about an eighth of an inch. There are two small holes in the top of the guitar that accommodate those pins. So its not really attached, just held in place. Can easily be eliminated by nipping of the excess pin if needed. Just seems odd that people want a floating bridge but then resort to two sided tape to hold it in place.

17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The issue isnt holding it in place, but where. With rosin or tape, you can move the bridge around. Pinning is not as flexible unless you want a lot of holes in your guitar.

macatt likes this.
  18. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I “fixed” the bridge on my 5420 with double-sided carpet tape that is probably about the same thickness as a Zigzag rolling paper (don’t ask how I know that ).

No tone suck here!

19. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Ya, I get that, but if the bridge is positioned properly and pinned, there shouldn't be any reason to move it. Obviously if someone is using a bar type bridge, you don't want to pin it. I just find it odd that most Gretshes come with adjustable bridges, so really there is no reason for them not to be pinned. Kind of a pain in the butt for the casual player that doesn't know how to do anything more than change strings.

20. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    I can't see there being any tone suck with the pins that are in my bridge either. Can I ask why you need to tape it? Surely you could just change strings individually to keep the bridge in place? Or is it actually moving while under tension?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice