Double sided adhesive tape glued my bridge

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Yann G, May 15, 2019.

1. Yann G

Yann G Electromatic

May 12, 2019
    europe
    Hi,

A luthier added double-sided adhesive tape to the bridge so that it wouldn't slip, the problem being he wasn't precise enough and set it about a millimetre too far to the right. It hasn't bothered me for years but I guess my playing style has changed, maybe the bridge has slowly slipped over the years too, anyway, I wanted to correct this as it affects the playability of my beloved instrument but I can't seem to remove the bridge and I'm scared of causing damage, what would the savvy & friendly bunch recommend? hot water? Pulling really hard? I'm afraid the finish would come with the base :eek:

1-strings.jpg

2-glue.jpg

Has anyone had a similar problem? I couldn't find a similar post in the forums, thanks in advance for any help!

2. Yann G

Yann G Electromatic

May 12, 2019
    europe
    DaddyDog, calebaaron666 and Jena like this.
  3. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I was just about to answer, but it's good you worked it out already :). In the future you'd better use cello rosin, not tape. Double sided tape kills (dampens) sound, rosin does not.

I would try to to bend the base downwards (towards the bigsby) and at the same time try to cut the tape with a sharp knife or razor blade, very carefully.

Grez, audept, loudnlousy and 4 others like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Glad to see no damage

sh4rkbyt3 and Yann G like this.
  5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Glad it worked out ok Yann. I was surprised that a luthier would have used a double sided tape, since there are better alternatives.

audept, Stefan and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  6. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Is it too much work or the damaging of the face of the guitar to actually pin the bridge? To me anyone that palm mutes should have this as a standard?

Jena and hcsterg like this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, if it was me, I wouldn't rely on the services of this "luthier" anymore :eek:... But it's me, OK ? :D

Yes. It's what I did on all my floating bridge guitars once the correct setup found :

On my G6119LH :
    [​IMG]

On my Orange Blossom Special :
    [​IMG]

On my G400 :
    [​IMG]

A+!

sh4rkbyt3, Jena, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  8. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    1. Clean the mess with Naphta.
    2. Next time carefully use a hairdryer to warm up the glue from the double sided tape.
    3. Look for a professional luthier.
    As said above, there are much better professional ways to solve the „problem“.

DaddyDog, wildeman and audept like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I would not use it myself, but there is double sided tape, and there is double sided tape...
    One is foamy and the glue gets goo-y after a period of time, and there’s the stuff that is thin as rolling paper.

Besides that, it’s good enough for Brian Setzer.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    dilver, reverb11 and Henry like this.
  10. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Not all luthiers are created equal.

sh4rkbyt3, Jena, audept and 2 others like this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I've used tape and rosin and I dont think it makes a material tonal difference. It is incredibly thin and dense and strong. I

One thing I did is attach the tape to the bridge then before putting it on the guitar, I out the tape on my skin several times to reduce the stickiness, then put it on. Tape residue should come off poly without damage.

JHowdy and Ricochet like this.
  13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I use Cello rosin, never had a problem on more than 30 guitars.

Jena, Dave-B, JHowdy and 1 other person like this.
  14. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    +1 on the rosin, that's what I use and it works great.
    I was going to suggest a little heat to help remove the bridge but that might not have been a good idea... glad you managed to get it off ok

15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yes. Stefan is right, a little heat would make that much easier.

Jena likes this.
  16. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    I have used double sided tape for literally decades (well, two of them, anyway). 3M makes a very fine tape and I use a very conservative bit on each side of the bridge base. I have never had a problem (on a poly-finished guitar--my SSLVO is "pinned").

I don't use carpet tape, which is what the gummy mess in that picture looks like!

However, I don't think it's necessary to grab the torches and pitchforks and start chasing the OP's guitar tech just yet. It's NOT a crazy fix, but a common solution to a common problem.

dilver and Ricochet like this.
  17. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    you would use wd40 and windex on a guitar?

Attached Files:

Yann G, rcboals and audept like this.
  18. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    I hope you’re kidding...Please don’t use WD40 on a guitar. Naptha, yes. WD40, no.

audept likes this.
  19. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    You could also dampen a cloth with white vinegar and lay it on top of the glue and let it soak up and dissolve. A bit of elbow grease and you should be good. I'm kind if a broken record here on avoiding chemicals you would not want on or in your body.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice