Dont know why people are afraid to refinish their own guitars.....

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by freddyfingers, Apr 21, 2019.

1. afire

afire Country Gent

My last post probably reads like a nonsensical rant, because I messed up attaching an image of the obviously and poorly refinished Wandre being sold as original. Music Ground's forgeries are usually rare amps (mostly British) and converting instruments to more desirable specs and assorted other things. I doubt this Wandre is even their work, just being misrepresented by them:
    [​IMG]

mrfixitmi likes this.
  2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    OK, I see... :eek::eek::eek:

For sure this instrument evokes a poor forgery of some acoustic Wandrè BB model... I think that a collector of the brand wouldn't be abused, and I wouldn't be too, simply because... It looks really too ugly !

Harvester Guitars in Melbourne, Australia, made some nice Wandrè-styled guitars. We retrieve on it some Wandrè's workshop painter's genuine tricks (candle fume black traces) :

[​IMG]

Even in France (yes !) Plantegenet Guitares has made a tasty Rock Oval Arlequin guitar :

[​IMG]

These are tribute guitars, evocation of a model and a brand, much different from an approximative or ugly forgery trying to pass for an original instrument in order to be sold at collector's price... Beside building the instrument itself, the intention isn't the same at all.

A+!

3. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Like Johnny Bench used to say "no runs, no drips, no errors."

Sid Nitzerglobin and wabash slim like this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've spent a lot of time with a brush in my hand. Not "art" mind you , but originally walls primarily. I was a "cutter"---the guy who did the corners and edges, so that the guys with the 18" rollers could zoom behind you. I painted offices and schools. Pollock's work always looked like abused dropcloths to me.

Helped out in my uncle's body shop for a bit, and did touch up paint in the old Studebaker plant on car fenders. As a stagehand, I moved up to scenic art for use on stage---pretty much paint by numbers on a mega scale. Our canvases were 50' tall X 120' wide---our theater is one of the largest in the country. Painting walls, our pants would be white, beige, or very light pastels. Painting scenery, the colors would be anything and everything. I tend to be my own drip cloth---wipe your fingers on your pants. Check out a sign painter's pants---every color imaginable and then some---including a lot of gold. The guys in the body shop at the Chevy dealership where my wife works have done a few guitar bodies. They've turned out pretty nicely.

I saw a video of a guy painting guitar bodies with that waterborne film process where things are dipped into patterned film in a tub. Camo, swirls, etc.---almost anything is possible. I've picked up a lot of technique---using a feather to make a marble look, sponging multiple colors, shading, and spritzing water then spraying paint to make a bubble texture.

It's been said that "Art is what you can get away with". If you like the way it turns out, fine. Have fun with it. Release your inner Bob Ross---"happy little accidents" might just be what you're looking for.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Sid Nitzerglobin and Ricochet like this.
  5. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    My first job was a cutter, way back in the 50's. My uncle used to paint apartments in Toronto...I got to do the window frames. No taping...no time for that nonsense...a good bristle sash tool (angled) and a (young) steady hand. But found out I was allergic to paint LOL...so much for that career!!!

wabash slim likes this.
  6. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    No tape! Tape's for amateurs! based paint. Taping took three or four times longer.

benjwri likes this.
  7. I am NOT interested in a full refinish of the body . . .
    but ONLY (after filling pickguard and strap button post holes etc. with wood dust/glue(or epoxy) “paste”) some degree of match for touch-up of Gretsch’s ‘Gold Dust’ finish.
    Maybe, acrylic paint ?
    If I got a really good match from those touch-ups - maybe finding that book @hcsterg uses in an inter library loan (?) - I would consider maybe doing the matching headstock especially if/when I’d upgrade to locking tuners in some future year.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Which book, Jena ? o_O

A+!

9. that guitar finishing book Wandre "The artist of electric guitar" looks interesting - nice lead. Thanks.

10. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Looking at some of those Wandre guitars, they seem more like "guit-art". Some of them (the black hollow body with the squiggles) look like they were vandalized. Others look cool, but seem to be more interested in looks than playability. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Variety is the spice of life.

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Ah, yes. You can find it on eBay, Amazon, etc... I bought mine via eBay.

Conversely to their looks, Wandrè made competely playable instruments. A friend of my father had a Wandrè/Framez Twist, I remember hearing him while a was a child... It looked like this one, but in blue :

[​IMG]

OK, they had certainly their quirks... Like many others (think Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster, for example).

Here's a short video of a (unfrotunately poorly :rolleyes:) played Wandrè Rock Oval, produced from between circa 1958 to 1962 :

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice