Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Dolores O'Riordan Cause of Death

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Sep 12, 2018.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The coroner's inquest into the death of the Cranberries lead singer showed she died of alcohol intoxication and drowning. Blood alcohol level .33 per cent! Very sad end for a great singer. Love the Cranberries and her voice. RIP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45434898

She was supposed to have recorded Zombie with Bad Wolves. After her death, they released their own version, donating the proceeds to her children.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    .033, or .33? .033 is less than half the legal driving limit of .08 and is less than one beer's worth for someone with a smaller build.

benjwri likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Five shots and a bottle of champagne, not way out of line for a drinker (i could do it). Just sounds like a sad accident to me. Btw it says 330mg per 100ml B.A.C.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    Wait a minute. You could do five shots and a bottle of champagne...and do what? Function?

5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    My bad - 0.33, about four times the legal limit.

6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yes.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeah, that's a lot. :(

8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That's 10 standard drinks. In 2 hours, that would raise my BAC to roughly 0.15 percent (add one drink per hour to keep that level.) I would be asleep. Maybe over 24 hours I could do it, but not in an evening. However, despite my size, I am a lightweight drinker.

Most people probably wouldn't be functioning very well, although both they and people watching them might not be able to tell. In medical school, we had an experiment where one person was given an unknown quantity of alcohol. They were then run through a series of tests. Based on the test, one observer attempted to estimate BAC, as did the subject. What was found was both the subject and the observer underestimated how drunk the person was. However at surprisingly low levels of intoxication, the subject failed basic cognitive tests. Obviously there are variables, especially tolerance and body size, but most people fit the same pattern. This raises a legal question. Bars have been sued for serving intoxicated people who then drove drunk and killed people. However given it's very hard to tell how drunk someone is, this may be unfair, if the person did their drinking at multiple establishments.

The highest BAC I've ever seen in a walking, talking person (albeit neither one was done well) was 0.7!!! I've also seen patients going into alcohol withdrawal at BAC of 0.3. It takes years of hard drinking, essentially being drunk almost all the time to get to that level.

Here's a good article on what it takes and what happens at a similar BAC as Ms. O'Riordan.

https://www.businessinsider.com/this-is-what-it-means-to-blow-a-341-bac-2013-9

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Dreamtime likes this.
  9. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Very sad!! 0.33 is pretty high no matter which way you look at it.. RIP!!

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    When I've heard about bars being sued, its usually because the person was visibly, obviously drunk, or based on the number of drinks sold at that bar. I don't know if claiming that the patron was even more drunk than you thought would be a good defense.

She was also on medication, though I don't know what type(s).

drmilktruck likes this.
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    It’s amazing how bad it can get. I’ve worked in places where there were some folks with wicked alcohol problems and it was amazing to see how far gone so,some could be, but still be walking and talking. But almost inevitably that same person would begin to have serious problems and go downhill fast.

Perhaps the saddest of these stories, at least for me, was a fellow that got drunk on New Year’s Eve and died of exposure in his own front yard after fighting with his wife and being tossed outside. He was a nice fellow, but he couldn’t control his drinking and he died far too young.

Gram Parsons was a brilliantly gifted musician whom worked with The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Emmylou Harris and others. He had serious drug problems and serious drinking problems to boot. Had he survived, he would have been an elder statesman of alternative Country music, but he died of an opioid overdose in 1973. Even without the drugs, his alcohol consumption would have caused problems, probably sooner than later.

I’m fortunate, in that I can take or leave alcohol and do not drink to excess. It doesn’t appeal to me much of the time and I find that if I drink a couple of drinks over the course of two days I won’t find the prospect of a drink appealing by the third day. But I’ve had friends, relatives and loved ones who had alcohol problems and it is heartbreaking to watch.

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    This is a sad way to die, It happened to a close friend and ex-band member in the '70s. I never really got over it, such a tragic way to end a life.

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My family history with alcohol isn't a good one. I stopped drinking when I turned 21. Lost four days, yet somehow made it back to base on time. Never again. The legal penalties once you're over 21 are far more severe. I've learned that I can have one beer a day. I like it too much, so, If I have two, I'll wind up having twelve. Just not worth it to me. After the military (where alcohol is a way of life) and 40 years of dealing with college students, I've just learned drinking is not worth all of the potential aggravation.

NJDevil and drmilktruck like this.
  14. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    She was amazing. Very sad indeed....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Although I never liked her voice or her songs I feel sorry for her.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    One of my patients achieved a certain amount of notoriety in the Twin Cities. He purchased beer at a liquor store a several years ago. In the store video the cashiers were recorded making disparaging remarks about him and how drunk he was. They were laughing at him. Despite this, they sold him more alcohol. Sadly he left the store and passed out in the snow and died from exposure. Thankfully they were prosecuted and sent to jail for not long enough.

Mitch Hedberg says it best:

17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    In the Twin Cities, exposure is nothing to trifle with. When it’s -25 to -30 you can be in danger quickly. IIRC, alcohol in the bloodstream makes it even worse. It’s terrible to even think about.

Down here, the greatest risk is in the summer. If heard some chilling accounts of people dying from exposure to the heat. Winters are milder, but even here, a stone’s throw from the border, I’ve seen -4 F. There’s something about the winter air here that really chills you. Forty degrees here feels about like -10 in Minnesota, which is to say I’d wear the same jacket at ten below in Rochester as I would in forty above in Tucson. SE Arizona has two seasons; too hot during the daytime and too cold at nighttime. :)

drmilktruck likes this.
  18. Redfish

Redfish Electromatic

Apr 11, 2018
    St. Augustine, FL
    .33 is definitely drunk but being drunk enough to not wake up when you are inhaling water, I don’t know. Have to remember though she was a tiny little thing. I doubt she weighed 100 lbs.