Does GC carry Gretsch? (Minor rant)

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, May 4, 2019.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Our local GC, 35 miles away, carries a few Electromatics and other lower priced Gretschs but no Pro Lines. They carry a lot of Gibsons and Fenders. I bet the lower percentage of Gretschs in the store is a higher percentage than Gretsch has in the guitar market overall.

2. A Denver GC has four Gretsch on the floor level ready for the grabin' and tryin' out. . .
    including the Streamliner Jr. G2655T in "Candy Apple Red" at left, and two other electromatic both in an amber finish, but one a 12-string.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    MKunie likes this.
  3. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I think you guys are right about the cost and intent of this latest catalog.
    It used to be that they advertised the cheaper stuff to get you into the store to be stuck with the more expensive stuff. Those were the good old days I guess.
    Around Charlotte, most guys refer to GC as "Strats-R-Us", and you only have to walk a few feet inside the door to see why. But, since that store opened, around 2001, they have always kept a few Gretsches on the wall.
    During the period, before Fender took part in the Gretsch effort, most of the models were Korean, and very nice. All of the price points could be found. The first time I walked into the store, I walked out with a 6120.
    Now, you don't see as many different models, but they do try to represent the line to some degree. In fact, I just bought my 5230 from them last Friday.
    As far as that catalog is concerned, seeing the average prices listed, is really not the kind of information that"s going to get me back in the store.
    But my biggest gripe is the complete lack of decent cases for the guitars in stock. I'm still waiting for UPS to deliver the case for my latest treasure.

Jelly Roll Horton, Jena and mrfixitmi like this.
  4. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I remember seeing that red sparkle one at that location for awhile when I lived up there. Although it was on the top in the back, it stood out for sure.

5. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I do think that some of it may be because while Gretsch doesn't have as big of a fan base, they do sell well even without advertising. The local small mom and pop store here regularly gets shipments in and it doesn't take long for them to sell out. Their advertising is simply social media and they always sell well. Unfortunately, they don't sell any of the pro-lines either, if I want to try one of those out, I'm going to have to make a trip into the city. But I totally get that they don't want to tie up their inventory money in something that might hang on the wall for ages due to it's high price tag.

6. knh555

knh555 Electromatic

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    As a new Gretsch fan, what really jumped out at me as I started looking at the line is there's no obvious middle price point. While this may actually reflect well on Gretsch with the Electromatic line being so good, it may confuse people new to the line to see a gap over $1000+ between their middle and pro lines. I can imagine this affects how the retailers choose to market these guitars as well.

Flouswa likes this.
  7. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Its
    It's 2019. Paper catalogs are outdated.

Their website lists plenty of Gretsch guitars and you can use it to figure out which local GC has what you want in stock AND they'll ship from store to store for free.

MKunie, johnny g and Flouswa like this.
  8. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I think Sweetwater does a better job of printing a hard copy cat. Wish they were close by so I could go play some of their products.

9. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    I think this was a high end marketing campaign with a heavy push towards Gibson's. I think this was the Nita Strauss catalog? As soon as I saw it I could tell the market they were aiming for. I also think Gibson is doing a heavy push to re-gain their reputation in the market as well. The added PRS and others were similar priced range so I suspect this was heavily planned for a while.

Let's face it, they're (for many areas) the only brick and mortar retail store with a decent selection unless your fortunate enough to be in a big city.

Our local GC has some mid to high range Gretschs but as others have said they put them up high to avoid probably being damaged or greasy fingers messing with them. I mean would you take Charlize Theron to a dive bar and let every pool player paw her?

10. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Depends. Do i get a cut of the profits?

sh4rkbyt3 and tartanphantom like this.
  11. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    After the proverbial face slap or before?

12. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    That costs extra, so...after.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  13. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    LOL! Might as well pay for it afterwards anyway.

14. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    We don't have a GC and I've never been in one.. sounds like I'm not missing much! :p

15. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I have nothing but good experiences in GC. There are 2 in Vegas, One is amazing! Yeah, you get the sales people who know nothing, But If you know what you want? It is not an issue. I think it is attitude, Got both my Gretsches from them, One online and one in store. Amazing experience. But I do believe they are all different and have different stock in store. When I went and got another proline last week, I tried the electromatics and yeah most of them were scratched and missing knobs. It was a mess. But here in Vegas both shops have many from Gretsch, Now, you gotta find a good one.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  16. [​IMG]

This G5420T was at $899 in "Snow Crest White" and also was in front of the stack of Marshall amps . . .
    This Electromatic finish might be a color I could use for re-touch up . . . (?)

so, anybuddy know who sells guitar finish lacquer in manufacturer colors (like car touch-up paint) ?

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  17. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Amazon seems to have no shortage: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nitrocel...901613&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_40phwhayce_b

Jena likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice