Does GC carry Gretsch? (Minor rant)

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, May 4, 2019.

1. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I don’t want to start another Guitar Center gripe session. I shop there and have no complaints about the local stores, their pricing, or their staff. BUT! I just got their latest catalog featuring fine and expensive guitars, many familiar names, but dang near nothing about Gretsch! My local store actually carries a nice selection of our favorite brand, from low price to high. But you wouldn’t know it from this latest catalog (which, btw, was a classy and expensive item to produce and mail). There seemed to be almost no interest or effort in promoting Gretsch. :confused: I like these mailings because they are like wish books, but there wasn’t anything on my wish list shown in this catalog.

I know. Wah wah. It was free. Kwitcherbitchin. :rolleyes: But GC, you carry Gretsches, and if you wanna sell ‘em, you gotta show ‘em!

Jena, mrfixitmi and benjwri like this.
  2. DannyB

DannyB Electromatic

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Hi Jelly Roll, I noticed also that GC Does not seem to advertise or sell too many Gretsch guitars on their web site. Sweetwater seems to carry more Gretsch products on their website. I actually bought my Streamliner at Detroit Guitar, a guitar store in Birmingham, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was actually nice to go into a guitar store and try the guitar out rather than buying it online although Guitar Center of course has stores you can go to try out guitars. It does seem some guitar outlets are more into selling Gretsch products than others. The ones that do not it's their loss as far as I am concerned.

3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I bought my first Gretsch from GC brand new, a 6120-60 around '98 or 9.

MKunie and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  4. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    I was in Mesa Arizona this winter and went to Guitar Centre for the first time. There were lots of Gibsons and Fenders but only a few Gretsch guitars and none were Pro line. Pretty disappointed.

5. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    My local CG carries Electromatic models. And did have Streamliners awhile back, too. There up high on the wall.

sh4rkbyt3 and DannyB like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Sometimes I wonder if the big chains get special deals on stock at times and push those ones more to make a bigger profit. But I’m not big and in the know.

What were the guitars they were pushing? Likely a Fender, Gibson, maybe PRS.

DannyB likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    the guitar sells itself ......
    I hear ya . Received that same catalog too . Yea , disappointed to be honest and can't really afford anything in that catalog either .

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Shelf-place and storage is pricy.
    Since there is only a limited demand for Gretsch guitars retailers tend to go wth what gets more sales volume. And that is probably Fender, Gibson and Ibanez.

RG7X likes this.
  9. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    This came up a few months ago, didn't it?

I still say it's probably a matter of co-op dollars Gretsch makes available to their dealers. Dealers don't carry the burden of advertising costs by themselves. They share it with the manufacturers. Maybe Gretsch has a lousy co-op program. No co-op dollars? No ad space. It's got absolutely nothing to do with what's actually in the stores.

My 3 local GC's usually have a fair selection of mid and lower end stuff, one or two prolines waaaaayyyy up the wall where greasy fingered teenagers can't get to them.

They're not as dumb as they seem - LoL!

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  10. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    This right here...
    Stores don't want to sit on a lot of expensive inventory that may or may not sell quick enough ( or even at all).

Likeabrave and loudnlousy like this.
  11. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I bought my G5420T Red Sparkle from GC about a year ago when it was on sale. However, they didn't have the Gretsches displayed on the guitar wall. They were all hanging up by the ceiling back in the back by the bass guitars. It was like they wanted people to have to search for them.

12. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I imagine that GC probably sells way more of their cheapo house brand Mitchell acoustics than they do any Gretsch models.

It's all about pushing items and brands with either the highest profit margin, or the brands that even a dead man would recognize.

Unfortunately, Gretsch ain't gonna be on either list.

13. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Ha! Yeah, I thought we covered this not too long ago! Jelly Roll, this must bug the bejeezus out of you - you started the other thread too!

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/guitar-center-gretsch.187813/#post-1127987

... and I had the same answer then. LoL!

Anyway, what you'll see in a company's catalog can be a whole different thing than what's in the store. Just google "co-op advertising". This is a very normal practice.

14. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, it’s like deja vu all over again.

Is does bug me. :p I want Gretsch to get the recognition and respect it deserves as an exceptional guitar and a worthy consideration in music.

But I promise not to reiterate the issue next time I get GC catalog. :)

Henry likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol. The solution is simple, avoid GC.

Gretschtim1 and Sabato like this.
  16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I can only speak about the 2 Guitar Centers in my area but I think there selection of guitars suck.
    Not only is the stock of high end Gretsch guitars lacking but they don't even have one freakin' Rickenbacker in either store. How can you call yourself Guitar Center and not have at least a few of an Icon brand?
    They should change the name to DJ Center because they have a wider selection of DJ mixers, turntables, etc. than high end guitars.
    In fact I don't even waste my time going there anymore. I rather drive the 40 minutes to Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center where they have a killer selection of guitars and amps and salesmen who know what they are talking about. They beat Guitar Center's prices and the guitars don't feel like seconds the way the guitars do at Guitar Center.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yep that was my solution.

Henry likes this.
  18. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Given their cash flow issues, it was no surprise to me that the money necessary to create such a slick catalogue was spent to advertise higher end guitars, and higher end Fenders, Gibsons, and PRS tend to be well know and sell well. If the manufacturers are willing to kick in for the cost of the catalogue, I'm sure it spurred GC's willingness create the catalogue.

Frankly, I think a great deal of Gretsch guitars are being sold by satisfied players. I'm not putting down Gretsch's advertising efforts. I'm just saying that Gretsch players know they have a Gretsch guitar, and they aren't shy about sharing their respect for Gretsch. To me, it seems to go hand in hand with Gretsch's advertising.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Jena, Flouswa, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  19. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Gretsch has quite the following .....

new6659 likes this.
  20. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Personally, I'd prefer Gretsch to be kept a little on the "secret, unique, and uncommon" side of things.

Last thing I want to see is every other bar band guitarist in America ditching his commonplace Les Paul or Tele for a Gretsch. Why????

Because I like being different from the "crowd". I know how good Gretsch instruments are-- word of mouth has actually grown the brand quite a bit.

mrfixitmi, Henry, thunder58 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice