Doc says to quit smoking "OR ELSE", anyone else in?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by freddyfingers, Dec 6, 2011.

Well, i made my bi-decade visit to the Doc yesterday. Nothing good, except i lived to pay the bill. Long story short, its quit smoking, or face the same fate as my father, and no, its not like Star wars, joining the dark side, or the Jetty side as I recently read, its more like the dead side. So, I start tomorrow. I know all the details, I am a seasoned smoker, know the problems that lay ahead of me.

So, anyone else out there interested in joining me quitting something thats bad for you? Even if its not cigarettes? could be chocolate, beer, coffee, smelling bicycle seats? I only promise to be honest on my post, and if I break, i will let ya's know. Support group online.

Just a few more to go, then the morning of battle begins, who will win?

1. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    I wish you the best of luck
    i'm trying to stop eating ****loads of candy(a)

2. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I'd join you, but living with a smoker means I have no hope in hell.. I need to talk mum into quitting with me again, we managed before the move but the stress drove us back to them after a few months. long story short it will be this new year's resolution.

Good luck with the quitting, my fav trick is to put aside the money I'd spend on cigarettes and put it in my GAS fund instead... after a couple of months you'll have quite the cache together! :D

3. I've been quit since 1990. it's tough, but make your mind up that you're gonna quit. if you've quit for a few days and you want another one just remember that you'll have to start quitting all over again. change your habits, too. don't put yourself in the situation of "right now I'd be smoking a cigarette". play your guitar or anything that keeps you away from smoking. you can do it.

I, too, lost my dad to lung cancer due to smoking.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Gave up the smokes a year ago ( Sept 18 , 2010 ) 2 packs a day at $10.00 a pack ( here in N.Y. ) do the math ..........yup , started in high school ....knew all the consequences too ...did the patch for only 5 weeks , first 3 days were the hardest .........friday I'll be 53 years young , can't wait to turn 93 ..you can and WILL do it ...keep us posted thunder58 (Rich ) P.S. araT , don't wait till new years , do it now ...................

5. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    just thought i'd share it with you guys
    i lost my dad to lung cancer as well
    had nothing to do with smoking

6. you shouldn't have any trouble quitting. those German cigarettes are awful. when I was over there even our worst American cigarettes were better than the German cigarettes. I only smoked them when I was out drinking and ran out of my Marlboro's.

7. LittleRedRooster

LittleRedRooster Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2009
    Falls Church VA
    pm sent based on my experience. hope it helps

8. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I would if I could, if it was just me I'd have no problem.. I have to talk mum into it too or I'll have no chance. :)

9. SaltyDog

SaltyDog Country Gent

Aug 23, 2008
    Between F sharp and G flat
    Smelling bicycle seats is bad for you ??? :eek:

10. dgshooter

dgshooter Country Gent

Oct 18, 2011
    Central MO
    I quit 15 years ago when I was diagnosed with oral cancer. Still not smoking.

I don't recommend that route for smoking cessation, go with the patches.

11. If there are cigarettes in the house, i wil smoke them, well, my wife smokes. she says she will quit, but i know her. The rule will be that she has to bury them somewhere, cause if i find them, there goners. So i understand it doesn't help having someone there that keeps doing it in from of you. As far as saving money, experience has showed me that any extra cash gets absorbed by the two non gretsch related items in my home, my sons.

Thanks for the kind words.

12. Sorry to hear that, but congrats on the progress!!!

13. only if you get caught!

14. Part of playing blues in smokey clubs is being able to smoke while you do it, it adds to the atmosphere, cant be a blues player that chews gum, can ya?

Sorry to hear about your Dad, that can really wake you up.

15. sleeperNY

sleeperNY Gretschie

Jun 18, 2008
    central NY
    I quit just over 2 years ago. I had a doctors app. and found out I had lost almost 50% of my lungs capacity. Its best to quit before you have to. I was smoking on my way to the doctors office but haven't had 1 sense I left his office.

Jim

16. I didn't smoke on the way home either, but got home, talked it over with my wife, and had a few. I see the pattern, so tomorrow it is.

17. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I stopped smoking last month but expect this to be temporary as twice a week i spend 3 hours with a smoker, and I have no will or desire to stop.

They want to ban smoking while driving. It's all too much. I know they measure the slip-stream, I know. It makes me so angry I want a cigarette.

I stopped drinking Coca-Cola last year, the day my dentist said Coke drinkers never stop.

18. what does "measure the slip stream mean?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice