Do you wear your reading glasses to play guitar?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by DaddyDog, Apr 2, 2019.

Play with your readers on?

1. yes

67.5%
  2. no

32.5%
  1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The cataracts snuck up on me.

2. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I started wearing glasses in about four years ago when I was sitting on the couch realising that the episode descriptions for whatever show I was watching on Netflix on tele were really, really blurry.

I actually need another check since I know my eyes have gotten a little bit worse since. But I don't mind wearing glasses. I don't need them for reading, just for any details further than about six feet away. I blame 20 years or so of computer work.

3. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Since I only play at home I just chose to get a bigger screen ;). Does that count?

4. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    look into contacts Blair, prescription shades to look cool, fake it

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A Monocle! Almost as steampunk as goggles! A monocle is the choice of old timey bankers and evil masterminds!

I don't sound any better with or without my glasses.

DaddyDog and Flouswa like this.
  6. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I had a friend in the ‘60’s who played mandolin in a jug band, and wore a monocle. That was especially cool. The monocle would frequently fall out and land on his mandolin. Eventually the mandolin had a significant scar. After John died (way too young) his mandolin was displayed at a local music store without any explanation. But everyone in the local music scene who went into the store knew whose it was.

About 15 years ago the mandolin disappeared. Some said it was stolen, some said it was in the hands of one of the surviving members of the original band, some said it had been shattered in some unknown accident. But no one could -or can- say for sure where it is today.

7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I need glasses for my ears:(

oldman.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    MotorCentaur, Flouswa and TW4990 like this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    It's here:
    Twilight-zone-logo.jpg

9. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    When practicing or learning something new, Always on. Playing live I take em off. For now lol.

Flouswa and benjwri like this.
  10. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I'm near-sighted, so no - don't need anything for guitar. But if I wanna see what the guy across the stage is doing - yep, need some help.

Thing is, I discovered contacts about 30 years ago. Greatest invention since sliced bread! I rarely need to wear glasses anymore.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    thunder58 likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Glasses for reading here ....

12. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    A guy I used to work with and I frequently had to review printed orders, I would take my glasses off and he would put his glasses on to read...

Jockabilly likes this.
  13. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    I always find that peculiar myself :D I know a few people who are 'all the time' wearers of glasses who have to take them off for close work and reading where I have to put my glasses on.
    No idea exactly what causes my eyes to be the way they are but the optician told me last time I was there that there was no surgery or contact lenses that could give me back my original level of vision.

14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am near sighted but wear glasses 24/7, except when bathing and sleeping. And I often fall asleep with them on.

15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    For the moment, I’m nearsighted in my left eye and farsighted in my right. Yesterday, my left eye was 20/200, ten minutes ago it was 20/80 but seems to have improved over the last few minutes. They took off my eyepatch from cataract surgery ten minutes ago and my vision is improving by the minute. I’m still relying on my right eye (with reading glasses) but I’m worlds better already.

Sabato and Ricochet like this.
  16. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    audept likes this.
  17. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I've been wearing glasses since i was 4 or 5 years old,yes,i now have to wear reading glasses,but i don't need them when playing the aul geets.

If i have to read tab ,different story.

Computers have made my eye sight a lot worse though.

Jockabilly likes this.
  18. Calvin Lee 2

Calvin Lee 2 Electromatic

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    I probably should, but I don't wear my glasses nearly as often as I need to. I'm extremely light-sensitive (look up "vampire vision" if you're curious and bored) so most of the time I need sunglasses, even indoors and in the nighttime in certain situations, and I don't own any prescription sunglasses (too pricey at the moment).

Because of my weird vision (seeing excellent in the dark, but being almost completely blind on sunny days) I actually started collecting sunglasses. Right now I have like 100+ pairs.

Hmm...
    100+ pairs of sunglasses,
    30+ guitars
    9 mannequin heads and 3 full size mannequins, all displaying pieces from my collection of 100-200 masks...

I'm starting to have a sneaking suspicion that guitarists just might be unreasonable when it comes to collecting...

:p

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    Progressive lenses here. I can't do a think without them.

20. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Graying hair and bifocals, matches my date of birth and to answer the question, the glasses stay on 'till bed time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice