do you prefer working your guitars volume pot or using presets by channel switching?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by loudnlousy, Nov 20, 2019.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I wish I could be a volume pot guy, but mostly I'm a clean boost one.
    Being the lone guitar player sometimes makes it hard to properly use the volume pot, especially if you play some fast-paced songs and you need to switch from breakup to overdrive and from overdrive to soloing. And back. :)
    Add to all this that I'm also the lead vocals (99% of the times. I'm a way better singer than guitar player :(), you'll see why it's hell to be me with just a volume pot on stage. Oh yeah, dynamic picking (especially if you fingerpick a lot like I do) it's a great tool, still not enough for what I play.

loudnlousy likes this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I hate too much options and everything that confuses my playing. Volume pot and pick attack, at best only pick attack. Since I'm using a sweet honey pedal I've learned a lot about picking dynamics from clean to naughty ;) and yeah, the Dunlop JazzIII also helps a lot controlling my pick attack. Dynamic playing is the key to personal tone I bet!

Waxhead, Robbie and loudnlousy like this.
  3. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    I switch pick ups for dynamics, neck n bridge is home during vocals, neck for break down 7 and 9 chord mellow, bridge for intro hooks n blast off.. I pinch the volume knob as a balance over vocals... I should start incorporating the Abby mode on my MB as riffing boost but don’t like seeing others stomping buttons so I don’t

loudnlousy likes this.
  4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I find that pick attack is a separate tonal and dynamic option from volume. Using pick attack for volume often means you are compromising the tonal/dynamic option. That's why I use the volume knob a lot. And why I play a Strat most of the time as I can adjust with my little finger. Of course, they are all interrelated.... and a temporarily dimed volume knob is yet another tonal option, similar to using a boost pedal.

Waxhead and loudnlousy like this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I like the volume but I also don’t have it dimed all the time. I set it at 7-8 and adjust my amp as needed then when needed to drop the guitar volume or raise it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Waxhead and loudnlousy like this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    You need inspiring equipment to ride your tone via the guitar`s volume-pot.

I landed on Reußenehn amps as my main tools which happen to be very sensitive to that kind of operation.
    They are super-reduced Marshall plexi realtives somehow and can sound plain ugly when you are not familiar with playing that way.
    Sh*t in = sh*t out.
    In the end that kind of amps are what I would call "magifying glasses".
    As a guitarist I came to the conclusion that you got your tone in your brain and hands and they make it "high-definition" versus low resolution.

I really think that Clapton and Van Halen would sound ideosyncratic even if they would play cheap guitars and amps. Even if the would play an acoustic their "voice" would be very identify-able.

So if you got no tone in your hands these amps (and great guitars as well)will make you sound even worse by showing it to everyone in high-definition.
    If Pavarotti would sing to you over a cell phone you would still recognize his wonderful voice.
    If he would sing to you over a high-end Neumann vocal mic it would show his genius timbre even more. A Neuman would not save my voice from sounding mediocre.
    If you have a nice motive for a photo a good camera would make it even more enjoyable.
    If you do not have a good motive, a good camera with a nice resolution would make it even more ugly.
    Just my humble opinion.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  7. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Everything on my guitar is on 10

loudnlousy likes this.
  8. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

No. But it would save your engineer and producer a bunch of work. Lol. I use a U-87 daily and all I practically have to do is turn it on. It almost always hands me an almost perfect product.

loudnlousy likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    This was only meant as an analogy.

TSims1 likes this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I know! ;)

11. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    @loudnlousy, I‘ve had an enlightening moment some years ago when I threw John Scofield‘s „QUIET“ where he is playing a classical guitar into the CD-player. With the first note he played, my wife enternd the room and said „this is John Scofield, right?“. So definitely yes, the best players have their tone in their fingers.
    I‘ve learned to enjoy the volume pot when I got my 5420 and installed a treble-bleed cap at the MV. I still have a stompbox for the two moments at a gig when I need some real distortion, but normally my Vibroverb works at about 6 (+ power soak) and I clear it up with the guitar‘s volume.

loudnlousy likes this.
  12. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Volume pot is and ALWAYS set at 10. If I could put it to 11, I would. If its too loud you're too old so GTFO.

loudnlousy likes this.
  13. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Back in the 80s I had a 2 ch Peavey Artist a d I would use 1 ch for rhythm and combine both channels for a boost. The only pedal I owned back then was a Cry Baby.
    I haven’t owned anything but single ch amps in years tho, so now I’m a vol knob guy.

loudnlousy likes this.
  14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    It all depends on the song and if it's studio work or live performing. Live I tend to use presets more because as the lead singer in the band it's just easier to use presets while I'm singing. In the studio I generally don't even hook up my pedal board/switching system. So I can use just a few pedals and use my guitar's volume and tone controls to fine tune the sounds. A lot of the time in the studio I don't even use pedals.

loudnlousy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice