do you prefer working your guitars volume pot or using presets by channel switching?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by loudnlousy, Nov 20, 2019.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I know many cool guitarists that build their tone around channel-switching amps and presets.

There is another ancient method of changing basic sounds of your guitar by riding it`s volume-pot from clean to heavy distortion.
    I prefer that.
    I even treat my multi-channel amps as different one-cannel opportunities and rarely switch channels for a given project.
    What is your way of doing it?

Ricochet, new6659, Bertotti and 2 others like this.
  2. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Electromatic

Jan 14, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
    A combo of my guitar volume and my picking attack. Albeit, I don't play with a lot of distortion. Just a nice breakup

3. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Electromatic

Jan 14, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
  4. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Volume knob, but starting to mess around with presets. You should add a survey.

loudnlousy likes this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I'm a volume pot guy. Most of us old Fender guys had to be. Single channel amps and guitars rule

6. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Tho I've tried to like a few channel switching amps, I never could get "that" sound from both channels when setting them up at the same time.

It was like the Duncan Twin Tube pedal. I could get a very likeable sound from each channel, but couldn't set that sound from each channel when set up together.

I think that having a shared tone shaping circuit was the issue on the TT pedal.

On amps I the the TMB circuit, but to duplicate that times two, is starting to get into a complex amp with switching.

I'm sure folks have different results with different guitars and amp set ups, but then throw in the speaker/cab into the equation, and it's another new game.

Just too complex for me. Between pick attack and the volume knob, I get what I want when plugged into my little Vox or low power Plexi.

Nothing better than a great touch sensative amp to plug into. A good one will hit you like a lightening bolt when you start using the guitar's tone control and pick attack together.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    loudnlousy and TSims1 like this.
  7. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Volume pot. I work it a lot. Of course how and where you pick is a variable also.
    Was never a channel switcher really, but tried for years to have a gain or OD that I would push when playing a lead or etc. Nothing but trouble with that because you just cant get it totally right and work the volume anyway.

loudnlousy likes this.
  8. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    I have never used a tone pot in my life, on my telecaster I made the tone pot separate volume for the neck pickup.

loudnlousy likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Pretty much same as you. I found some amps are better at working with me riding the volume than others. The JSX Mini is great for riding the volume pot very responsive. I haven’t tried it much with my bigger amps for anything more than clean to edge of break up to just barely broke up. In those cases I like to goose the front end a bit with a pedal or channel switch.

loudnlousy likes this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I do a mixture depending on situation.

To change tones I change either an amp channel or a pedal on/off.
    I don't ride guitar dials to change tone - I do it to change volume.

But I've built into my rig several versatile ways of changing both tones and volumes. I can either use....

a) 6 different foot switchable voices on a MB Mark V 25 amp.
    b) using the Mark V Graphic EQ (foot switchable) to either change tones and/or add or reduce volume. Also very good as a solo boost.
    c) using overdrive, fuzz pedals.
    d) using an EQ pedal set to change volume or tone without adding gain. Same as the Mark V Graphic EQ.
    e) using the guitar volume dial to change volume.
    f) vary pick attack.
    g) any combination of the above :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    loudnlousy likes this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I use a Nocturne Detroit Casket Fluid drive as a boost.
    I almost never use my guitar’s volume pot. As the singer/guitarist of my band, it’s a pain in the butt to work knobs.

When I’m playing with other people and I’m NOT the singer, I’ll use the vol pot.

loudnlousy and Waxhead like this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok but there's a simple solution.

On 2 or multi channel amps you've got to have independent EQs and reverb for each channel. Fender and Vox still don't do this and it makes their amps non versatile imo.

With independent EQs and reverb you just set up both channels as you like and switch away. Guess what amp company does this on every amp :)

loudnlousy likes this.
  13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I use my volume knob. Pick attack. Tone knob(s). Selector switch. Pedals. Gimme ALL the tools, please. :)

14. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yes, I forgot to say pick attack. I try and use my hands for dynamics as much as possible.

15. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll use my volume as a boost and drop for certain things maybe once in awhile. Mostly, it's either on or off, and I touch no other knobs. Ever.

loudnlousy likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I hate twiddling knobs while playing- maybe my piano background.

If I need to adjust volume during a song, I use a Mission volume pro pedal. Its wonderful on the "tweed" side of the amp as it doesnt really increase volume much but gain and saturation

17. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Mesa?

18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Bingo :)
    That's why Mesa amps look complex with many dials.
    But they're not.
    It's mostly giving independent EQs and reverb for each channel.

Any 2, or more, channel amp that doesn't have them is an instant deal breaker for me. I won't buy them.

loudnlousy, G5422T and Jeff67 like this.
  19. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    In the early years, The Everly Brothers had to share one mic. For a guitar riff boost, they would just hold the guitar up a little higher!

20. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I’m a volume pot guy

loudnlousy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice