Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Do you play a Gretsch differently from the way you play other guitars?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by carljharding, Apr 15, 2018.

1. carljharding

carljharding Electromatic

Mar 26, 2018
    UK
    Hi all. I'm very new to the Gretsch world with the G5420t, which I'm loving, my first Gretsch.

What I have found is that this guitar makes me approach playing in a different way from, say, my Tele or my SG. Something about the shape, or maybe the sound, or maybe the feel of it, just encourages me to break out of the rut and do things differently.

Do anyone else find this, or just me? What about other (electric, 6 string) guitars? Do others find they play semi-hollows differently from solid body? I've heard it said of Ricks, is it also true of Gretsches?

Rocky Rococo likes this.
  2. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    That leads to the question, what you do differently? Any example?

3. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Personally I don't play one differently from the other.

4. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I play my big hollows a bit different than my solids and semi's because they're set up a bit differently. 10's on the solids and 11 or 12's on the hollows.

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Carl, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by playing "differently," so it's a little hard to answer the question. Are you talking about doing something like more finger picking rather than strumming?

6. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    Yes, different guitars make me feel like playing differently. For example, when I get my tele out I feel like fooling around with James Burton stuff or maybe some chicken picken. With my 5120 Gretsch I like to try Chet stuff or Scotty Moore. It's a big part of the fun of playing. ..... If I could only find a guitar that made me feel like playing Charles stuff .... Oh, there ain't no Charles stuff....

MKunie, BorderRadio and Ricochet like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    This, definitely...

MKunie likes this.
  8. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Electromatic

Jul 26, 2013
    Marietta, Georgia
    I play my Telecaster different because of the "twangy" goodness, even on rock songs. I play my Les Paul classic different because it "thumps" and overdrives great. My 6120 hot rod gets cleanish rockabilly tones that are good for rock as well as surf, plus the semi hollow sustain is down right satisfying, this sustain separates it from my Stratocaster that can sounds similar to both Telecaster and Gretsch. The 6120 can do it all.

9. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    I don't. You can go from Sleepwalk to Funk 49 with a twist of the knobs.

larryb likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nope. I play all of my guitars the same---badly.

11. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    It sounds different, but I don’t play it different. The only exception is I tend to fingerpick songs more often than I do on my solid bodies.

12. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I know what you are talking about. My 5420t sounds different that any of my other guitars. Something about that gretsch sound makes me what to try new things that I have heard on radio, tv, youtube or any old cd and records
    I listen to. It just seems to put me in the mood. Hard for this old country boy to explain. My guitar is so smooth it is just hard to put down.

13. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I kind of stopped playing my G6120DS because the dynas did not have much sustain. So I guess that is different.

14. claes

claes Electromatic

Apr 4, 2018
    sweden
    Well....for first 4 days I pretty much played it like I play an acoustic...only less strokes. I played teles with a really heavy and cramped style ( I eat frets).
    I have not decided how and what music I should play yeat. I'l probably play differently....more air...less notes...
    We just met but I'l be surprised if I wont bring some of my acoustic playing in to this adventure.

15. carljharding

carljharding Electromatic

Mar 26, 2018
    UK
    That's fair - to be honest I find it hard to explain myself. I guess the surprise for me is that I was in a bit of a pentatonic rut. First thing when I pick up a guitar I do one of several predicable things.

I don't with the Gretsch. I go looking for interesting chords and rhythms and generally exploring other possibilities. I get less bluesy and more...something else.

LivingMyDream likes this.
  16. Rocky Rococo

Rocky Rococo Electromatic

Apr 4, 2018
    Timber Town USA
    I play my 5435 differently. Because of the play-ability & versatility of the Pro Jet I feel compelled to explore and try new musical ideas. Oh, and it loves to be played. ;)

17. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Gretschie

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Nope, it's just another nice guitar.
    Well, they both are, but I do on a Tele what I do on my Strat and what I do on my Gretsch guitars.

18. JCW513

JCW513 Electromatic

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    I've learned I basically sound like me, with whatever guitar I play. That being said, each and every guitar is different. So, they all inspire me a little different.

19. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

That makes perfect sense to me now. Yes, I have bought a new guitar that inspired me to play things that I didn't play before. For instance, I can remember struggling with learning to play Barre chords, and nearly deciding to give up trying. Then one day I was killing time in a music store, and picked up a PRS SE Custom 24 that had their wide thin neck profile. It felt so good in my hand, within the week, I went back and bought one. That was the neck that convinced me that I could play Barre chords, because they were effortless on that guitar. Now, I'm playing them on my other guitars too - the same guitars that almost convinced me to give up playing Barre chords.

Congrats on finding a Gretsch that has inspired your playing!

20. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Yeah. Most of my guitars are purpose intent designed. Whether for playability or certain tones, or tonal versatility.