Do You Laugh At Your Workplace?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Yep

drmilktruck likes this.
  2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

And recognizing the tendencies gives you the ability to begin to change the direction.

Now, go visit the jokes threads. :D

Seriously, maybe you can be the one to lead the rest of the household to a new way of being.

3. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    As a teacher I avoid laughing at students and can sometimes laugh with them.
    Their irony detector can be very unresponsive at times...

RG7X, Andrew Griffin and drmilktruck like this.
  4. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Yes. Put a smile on your face and give it to somebody.

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    You may have done me quite a favor by posting this. I am currently doing IT in a humorless environment and virtually never have occasion for lightheartedness at work. I’ve been wondering what to do about this and your post has given me a lot of perspective.

BTW, when I interviewed, one of the things that attracted me to the job was that the fellow that interviewed me had a great sense of humor. He left about six weeks after I got there.

new6659, drmilktruck and wabash slim like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Forty years ago, you'd hear jokes constantly at work. Broadway road shows were always good for that, as were visiting salesmen. Before computers were everywhere, copier comedy was commonplace (I truly believe that there was a team of bad artist comedians at Xerox making these up as half of what went thru copiers was printouts of jokes and such). What really killed it all was the "PC Police". I went from hearing 5 new jokes a day to 5 a year. People got too afraid to laugh or HR would get involved. The snowflakes' skin is far too thin.

Of course, there are times one must stifle humor. Working in the Ivory Tower for forty years proved that. I've had bosses come up with the stupidest things imaginable and expect them to be carried out. I've had customers ask for the most idiotic things (and in a service industry, the customer is always considered right even when they're totally wrong). The only times I absolutely refused to do something is when it was dangerous or truly wouldn't work. I'd always try to find an alternative. I've had a woman come up to the projection booth literally screaming that the captions on the foreign movie were unreadable---Russian movie, in black and white, in winter, in the snow, with white subtitles. Go figure. I asked her what she expected me to do about it. Same woman complained that the subtitles in another movie were out of focus. I showed her that I could focus the projector to the picture or to the subtitles but not both at the same time. She couldn't comprehend the facts in either case and complained to my boss that I refused to help her. I didn't laugh directly in her face either time. Wanted to, wanted to call her an idiot to her face, but didn't. I had another woman complain that I was too mellow because I wasn't as wound up about things as she was. Every "What if..." she came up with I countered. She couldn't bear the fact that I had every contingent covered. It seems that the higher up they are, the less of a sense of humor they have---big frogs in a little pond---professors, admins, coaches---all had the same attitude. Politics is even worse. Massive attitudes and senses of self importance don't impress me.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  7. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord."

8. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I work as a consultant to various government agencies. I'm laughing all the time, mostly to keep myself from crying.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  9. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Some well timed flatulence on a wooden church pew usually does the trick.

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I can relate to that.

Andrew Griffin and MartyT like this.
  11. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

LOL

12. David_D

David_D Gretschie

Oct 14, 2015
    New Jersey
    I work from home, so ya, I laugh at work occasionally.

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    There are a lot of good things about corporate life; job security (most of the time except for those annual downsizing efforts), salary, matching 401k's, great health insurance etc. but it came at too great a cost for me personally. I left after 24 years of service but I was still only in my mid forties. The thought of going in and out of the same old doors for 20 more years was more than I could bear. I pictured myself being talked about on the news by surviving coworkers as that "he was such a quiet guy" before going postal in the workplace. Time to go!!! I did get a certain amount of satisfaction leaving in 1999 3 months before all the Y2K hoopla and uncertainty.:D Not only did my wife, who had a bigger job in the same company leave also, we pulled up stakes and moved from FL to NC with no idea what we were going to do. We just both knew we needed a start over. Scary? Hell yes, but we never looked back, both landed on our feet in NC, and enjoy life more, even with less money than we could have had. I've built more than 100 houses in career #2 over the last 15 years which will leave my mark in this little section of the world, for I'm hoping another 100 years. Much more rewarding than keeping computer systems running that were obsolete a year after I left. And the guys were a heck of a lot more fun.:)

You and I are the same age so hoping you can get to Medicare/Social Security time if that's your target and do what you enjoy more, presumably music - sounds like you've got mad skills.

new6659, G5422T and drmilktruck like this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I basically design and operate the network side of things; a network engineer, so to speak. I’ve headed an IT department in the past, but a while back I accepted another job, which I find less enjoyable. I wouldn’t be surprised to end up working for an ISP somewhere, at some point. I know a bit of the RF end, even some of the “last mile” fiber solutions, so I might be most useful in such environments. I love working on Cisco equipment, but most of that is set it and forget it programming. A Customer Edge router may never require any programming changes throughout its life, unless a new service is brought into the mix. The Provider side is where all the fun stuff happens.

I know it may sound strange, but when I log into a Cisco switch, router or firewall, it’s like coming home. I just love dealing with all of that raw logic and no GUI to complicate matters. My first computer was an 8088 and I loved working from a DOS command prompt. Since those days, I’ve worked on everything from Novell servers, to Windows servers (up through Server 2016), Exchange, SQL, SCCM and any number of bespoke appliances, but I’ve never enjoyed anything more than that first 8088, until I became comfortable at a Cisco CLI. It takes me right back to the days of batch files and programming in BASIC.

I hope to retire in 5-6 years. If the opportunities are there, I would love to work one week pre month teaching Cisco Authorized courses after that, and maybe do some Skype guitar lessons on the side.

Andrew Griffin and drmilktruck like this.
  15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I work with adults with mild to severe mental illness in a group home. There’s a lot of seriousness in my work, but lots of joking and playful conversations. I laugh with our clients all of the time. I also try and make them laugh as much as possible.
    I’ve been bringing my dog to work and she’s a good source of healthy smiles and laughter for everyone.

16. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Wooden pews seem to amplify these sounds.

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Another reason to avoid those modern megachurches that have movie theatre style padded seats.

wabash slim likes this.
  18. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Plus one as a consultant, in my case providing structural engineering services. Laughter keeps productivity high.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

MartyT likes this.
  19. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The laughter keeps the screaming inside.

20. afire

afire Country Gent