Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Do you consider this a Gretsch or a telecaster?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Fjrabon, Apr 19, 2017.

Gretsch or Telecaster

1. Gretsch

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. Telecaster

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  1. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    They also make orange chickens that are trans orange. This was their take on a Tele white falcon hybrid. Called the white chicken.

2. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    It's a very desirable( to me) Telecaster.

3. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    IMG_8258.jpg
    Ok, how about this then?

MKunie likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    nag4.jpg
    NOT A GRETSCH!!!!!
    :(

nag3.jpg
    NOT A GRETSCH!!!!!

nag2.jpg

NOT A GRETSCH!!!!!
    nag1.jpg
    NOT A GRETSCH!!!!

nag5.jpg

My old Telemaster/Jazzbronita??????

NOT A GRETSCH EITHER!
    :D

MKunie and Henry like this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Pure decandence!

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Cabronita Tele and not even something in between imo.
    There's far more to Gretsch than just pups :)

8. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It's next to a plaid shirt, so tele.

Fjrabon likes this.
  9. ffooky

ffooky Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2012
    London
    The only features traditional to a Telecaster that it has are the outlines and the headstock (I only presume the latter), neither of which have any appreciable sonic impact, whereas the neck set pitch, pickups, floating bridge, B3 Bigsby and wiring are all traditionally Gretsch.

If you bake a gingerbread man in the shape of a Christmas tree it's still a gingerbread man.

10. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    Right, I agree there is more to what a guitar is than just the pickups. which is why I think this is much further towards being a Gretsch than a cabronita is. A cabronita is just a Tele with filtertrons slapped on. Otherwise it's a very basic stock Tele.

literally every aspect of this guitar is gretsch except the shape. It's a complete hollow body with gretsch wiring, Gretsch neck (even has the gretsch humpback inlay), floating bridge, carved top, maple body with spruce top. It was even built by a guy who splits his time between the Gretsch and Fender custom shops. The only similarity this guitar has with a cabronita is the pickups.

Besides the name, what is it missing when you say "there's more to a gretsch than just the pickups"?

11. MKunie

MKunie Gretschie

Feb 8, 2012
    Las Vegas,NV USA
    I want this!!!!

12. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    It's a Telecaster type.

13. Barbiche92100

Barbiche92100 Newbie

May 10, 2015
    Paris
    I have one in orange that is made by Paul Waller...Great guitar!...

Attached Files:

14. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    Nice. Yeah Paul is the guy that made that one as well. It's probably become his best known guitar. Bad cat guitars (not related to the amp company) even did a copy of it. You know you've made it as a custom shop guy when you have a Chinese knockoff made of one of your creations.

http://www.badcatinstruments.com/electric-guitars/mojo-series-orange-burst-electric-guitar

Barbiche92100 likes this.
  15. Jonbass

Jonbass Gretschie

Oct 10, 2016
    Yukon
    I know that some people find that a Strat volume knob gets in the way but I would knock the master volume on that Bad Cat guitar with every note. IMG_0495.JPG

Ricochet likes this.
  16. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    Wannabe

Bad case of a Fender that wants to be a Gretsch!

17. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    Interesting. It's in the same place as on my pro jet (and I think duo jets too). Never been an issue, but I am between the buckers picking at highest unless I am strumming in the fretboard for effect.

Also according to bad cat's spec sheet that guitar is 2 volumes and 2 tones, not 3 volumes 1 tone like most Gretsches.

18. Jonbass

Jonbass Gretschie

Oct 10, 2016
    Yukon
    IMG_1788.JPG If I am strumming, my fingers are loose and scraping on the pickguard right near the wand of the fingerboard. Not always, but if I am going for a full, loose sounding strum, that's what I do. It's not great technique but it is a habit I haven't been able to break on guitar. Interestingly, I managed to break the habit on mandolin and don't anchor on the top.
    I was just looking at the pro jets and duo jets and see that that knob is right in the same area. I've never played one. I might have problems with that model. Who am I kidding? I can make any guitar sound bad!:D

Fjrabon likes this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah ok - ahh which Gretsch is this Tele like?
    Is it like a Jet, like a Billy Bo, like a Corvette, a Falcon, a 6120 perhaps?
    Is it like a Tennessee Rose with Dynasonics?
    Gretsch make over 50 different models.
    Fender makes an MIM Tele Cabronita.

How is this Cabronita's neck like a Gretsch - is it made of Ebony, is it the same shape?
    It's skinny body is not the same shape as any Gretsch, it's got different bracing inside, a different non gretsch bridge and looks to have Cabronita pups (Fidelitrons??).

If it has Fidelitrons then these TVJ made for Fender fidelitrons are not on any gretsch and.........for good reason....... cause they are the worst Filtertron pups I've ever heard and not nearly as good as Blacktops, HS Filters or anything else made by TVJ imo.
    Do the Fidelitrons sound like Dynasonics ??

Nice guitar and probably plays great but not like any gretsch I've seen

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  20. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    The bridge is a gretsch bridge and Tru Arc roller, he got both from the gretsch custom shop (where he also sometimes does work) with all the other hardware, except the bigsby, which had to be custom fit. The neck is a little shorter scale, 25" scale, 9.45" radius, gretsch width. Fretboard is ebony. It has the gretsch angle on the headstock, not flat like Fender. The pickups are TV Jones PowerTrons.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017