Do You Believe in Ghosts? I have proof they exist

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Poeticas, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    I have a LOT of trouble believing in ghosts. I'd like to be proved wrong sometime...hasn't happened yet.

2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Bigfoot told me there was no such things as ghosts and he hasn't lied to me yet! :p

blueruins likes this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    :D:D:D

mhed.jpg

speedicut likes this.
  4. Poeticas

Poeticas Electromatic

Jun 24, 2019
    Florida
    That's exactly what I was trying to say! :)

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes indeed !

I am a ghost myself : every time I mime someone who is hiding behind a wall, we see the wall and we do not see me.

I even think that objects have a mind... ô objets inanimés, avez-vous donc une âme ?

Recently I saw on a wall: "God exists, I met him"

Well... It surprises me then ! Not that God exists, the question does not arise, but someone has met before me ... Ah well ... it surprises me then!

Why ? Because I had the privilege of meeting God just at a time when I doubted him.

I was in a small village, you know, one abandoned from mens.
    There was no one left here.
    And going through the little church, I do not know what instinct drove me, but I came in.
    And there, I was dazzled by ... An intense light, unbearable :
    It was ... it was God ! God in person ! God who prayed !

I told myself:
    - Who is he praying ?
    - He does not pray himself, not him, not God !
    - No : he was praying to the man !
    - The man... He was praying to me ! He doubted me as I doubted him !

He said:
    - "Oh man, if you exist, a sign of you."
    I said:
    - "My God, I'm here !"
    Ah! He said:
    - "Miracle! A human appearance !"
    But I said:
    - "My God, how can you doubt the existence of man since it is you who precisely created it ?"
    He told me:
    - "Yes, but ... It was so long ago that I did not see one in my church, that I wondered if it was a Sight of the Mind..."
    I said:
    - You are reassured my God ?
    He replied :
    - Yes... Yes, I'll be able to tell them at the top : Man exists, I met him!

From the great late French humorist Raymond Devos - circa 1975 : " l'Homme existe, je l'ai rencontré "

Raymond Devos again : my favorite quote on the subject by him ;):

"God exists, but it's a Sight of the Mind."
    "Dieu existe, mais c'est une vue de l'Esprit"

OK, I go... :D Where ? o_O Nowhere ! I'm a Ghost ! :eek:

A+!

new6659 likes this.
  6. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    More you say?..

Okay this one really highlights what a weirdo I am and although it is religious in nature I am posting for the supernatural aspect not really to discuss religion. Complain or delete as needed:)

In Hawaii we had a beautiful .5 acre backyard (which was quite overgrown with elephant grass). Almost every time I would walk around up there in the waist-high grass I would find some new and unusual treasure; an old Hawaii license plate, antique key, horseshoe, machete, jeep, etc..

Once found a nice long branch of mango wood with some beautiful figuring and lots of interesting insect bore-holes. It was just the right size for a walking stick so I spent part of the afternoon sanding it and finished it with some oil. I'd been reading Lord of the Rings, so you know.

I liked to head up to the top of the property around dusk to try and catch sight of an owl that hunted in the Kukui nut farm behind us. Always loved the wild, wide-eyed look of owls and this one was gorgeous.

As I was up there waiting with my walking stick I started to pray. Normally I'm not a big fan of asking for material things when I pray but I was feeling kind of playful and enjoying talking to God, so I asked Him for something a little out of the ordinary; a nice owl feather to hang from the hole in my walking stick.

My wife and I were driving home from the other side of the island one night not long after that. We were just about through a little town @ 3,000 ft up in the Kohala Mountains called Kamuela. In the headlights I saw two wide eyes glowing back at me from the side of the road and as I passed I could see it was an owl standing there. Just standing there staring off into the distance like it was hypnotized.

"Did you see that?" I asked my wife. She hadn't seen it.

I backed up the truck and sure enough the owl was still standing there like a statue. I reversed onto the shoulder in front of the owl and he didn't move an inch even with the headlights 10 ft away pointed right at him. It was such a crazy sight.

I may have mentioned that I've had strange encounters with birds. This was just about the strangest but I have gathered a little bit of bedside manner for these creatures. I went to the vehicle and grabbed a beach towel and a nice big box that was back there. Walked up and wrapped the towel over the owl, the owl made no protest or struggle, and I lifted it into the box.

We put the box in the back of the truck and headed home where I put the box in the basement for the night.

The next day I headed for work. There was a girl at work who was also an assistant at a veterinarian clinic. I told her about our feathered friend and asked her if there was someone who could help? She called her boss and came back with a telephone number for a guy named Steve who operated a small shelter for birds of prey on the island.

I explained our situation and Steve agreed to meet us that evening at a gas station to take a look at the owl.

We took the owl-in-a-box to Steve that night and he agreed to take it in and try to rehabilitate it. Steve could find nothing wrong with the owls wings and had no idea what had happened. His best guess was that it was hit by a car and stunned?

After a week or so Steve called us to let us know that the owl had completely recovered. Nothing really wrong with it at all, maybe it was dehydrated or ate something bad? He said the bird was ready to be released but thought that we might like to release it? He told us it would be best to take it near where we found it but away from the highway and open the box

We did just that. As I whipped the towel off the top, the bird took one angry look at me and burst out of the box in flight...gone in seconds! It was an awesome experience I'll never forget.

I almost forgot though...When Steve handed over the box with the owl in it he also handed me a beautiful wing feather. "This was in his cage." he said. "I thought you might like to have it as a memento."

7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    ....the man threw the starfish into the sea and replied "That one does."...

Ricochet likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A friend roomed with a vet student (local uni has a highly respected vet school). We'd go over to visit and she'd always have the oddest critters being rehabbed. The 2' tall owl was a beauty.

Walking on campus one day, I watched a young red tailed hawk trying to chase a squirrel literally around a tree. Tree rat was smarter than the bird by a long shot. The hawk was frustrated and as he flew off he gifted me with a 9" feather that landed at my feet.

Some Native Americans are terrified of owls as they're believed to be a bad omen. My Cherokee friend doesn't have an issue with them. He was rehabbing an owl, but his Miami friend freaked out when he saw it, and ran out of the house. Another friend installed a owl house on his barn as well as a bat house. Keeps the mice and mosquitos down.

Waxhead and blueruins like this.
  9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Indeed !

A+!

10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    for the record, I better not get complaints of talking about religion when I decide to discuss the miracles that have happened in my life and my belief that God showed up. Somehow this discussion is acceptable because it involves "creepy" or some what sinister happenstance... But if I start getting all glory hallelu... Then the sirens go off and whammy we have "offended" the consciences of those who do not abide such positive narratives. :) :) :) So... my contribution to this supernatural discussion does not involve bumps in the night and interdimensional disturbances.

Rather lets go Back to the hopeful and cheerful side of the unexplanable.. While all miracles would seem to be examples of the supernatural, the latter category includes more than miracles in most traditional theology. For example, especially in Catholic theology “supernatural” includes everything of grace. Grace is by definition “supernatural” because it is “beyond nature” and cannot be compelled by nature. Yet, it does not necessarily cancel out or completely contradict nature.
    "What do I mean by “supernatural?” Here is what I mean by it: the realm of activity of unseen agents unknowable by science because it is “above” nature. (By “above” I do not mean literally, spatially above; I mean transcends, goes beyond.) Add to that that supernatural events, “miracles,” are ones that are in principle unable to be explained by science or predicted by the scientist, even one who has all the information possible about the context and applicable natural laws."

11. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Nothing supernatural, but the first time something like the above happened to me was when I was 12 or so. I spent a good portion of the summer with my cousins family in Denver.
    We were walking around the park one morning when my cousin and I saw a red-tailed hawk standing at the base of a tree.
    We approached it and it didn’t fly off.
    I got the attention of a young lady jogging on the trail and she was kind enough to loan us the sweatshirt tied around her waist so that we could take the hawk back to the house.
    We named it “Killer” and got to feed it mice and hang with it in my cousins room throughout the summer. I still remember the long streaks of bird-poop streaming down his Broncos curtains.
    In this case someone had clipped the hawks wings and they did eventually grow back in.
    Sometime after I left they released “Killer” back into the wild.
    They said he used to circle over their house for a long time thereafter.

Ricochet likes this.
  12. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Unlikely as it is...the owl encounter happened again in Hawaii.

This time we were heading home at night from visiting Hawaii Volcano State Park. By this time my oldest daughter had been born and was sleeping in the back seat of our SUV.

Again I see the glowing eyes in the headlights and an owl staring off into the night.

I pulled over and grabbed a towel...didn’t have a box this time. The owl was quite a bit bigger and his head was above my knees; a barn owl. First time it happened it was a smaller indigenous owl called pueo.

I picked the owl up and placed him in the cargo section of my vehicle.

As we headed down the hill I wondered what we should do with it? The Hilo Zoo was on the way home about 20 miles from where we were. I planned to drop the owl off under the shelter near the entrance with a note.

I heard a ruffle from the back and in the rear view mirror I could see two huge yellow eyes. I nudged my wife and she looked back. Just as she did the owl spread its wings and he was so big that my wife said she felt the tips of his wingfeather brush her cheek.

I looked back and saw the huge black claws dig into the top of the bench seat and my tiny little daughter sleeping a few inches below them.

I quickly pulled over and ran to open the back door. The owl spread his wings and took off over my shoulder into the night.

Ricochet likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Owl be darned.

I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress.

14. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Unfortunately, the herd of unicorns that live in the local woods, have scarred off all of the ghosts, and half the witches (who are actually a great bunch of gals).

T Bone and Waxhead like this.
  15. MattMcEwen

MattMcEwen Gretschie

Mar 23, 2018
    Halifax
    Since I complained about the ghosts, can I complain about this too?

And there’s a logical flaw here - if this hypothetical supernatural you speak of, exists solely outside nature, then it would be unknowable and have zero effect on you, who exists within nature.

It’s the same logical flaw pointed out throughout this thread.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  16. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I read recently that many scientists are convinced that we may be living in a simulated reality similar to the concept of the Matrix movies.

17. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    hmmm.. we have now tagged belief vs logic to enter the ring! Ding Ding!! (Im being silly because we're in a guitar forum..well I'm silly anyway). Lets let them rumble a bit. maybe let philosophy and psychology in too
    [​IMG]

"“The Weak Anthropic Principle” (Evolved from Greek word “Anthropos” meaning Human) propagates that the “discoveries” man accomplish with his five sensory organs will have the reflections of the “limitations” of these sensory organs because several of the “universal truths” lie beyond the capacity of these organs to comprehend. Therefore the scientific truths as we understand them as truths may change as the knowledge advances further. Hence even when some beliefs can be explained with logic, the logic itself could change as the knowledge advances further. So, in the absence of philosophy and psychology, beliefs cannot crystallize as much as the logic of the emerging knowledge brings in a new logic to the logically explainable beliefs!"

Ricochet likes this.
  18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Most of the world's population believes in God despite there being no scientific evidence that God exists. Religion actually refers to "The Holy Ghost"

19. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Well to not go off onto a topic that will kill this thread faster than a greasy fart in room, we can stay focused on the dance of belief and logic. Scientific truths are considered the absolute truth as far as logic goes but by doing this you assume that your senses provide absolute truth. therefore you yourself are providing a faith in your own senses. This becomes an argument of definitions toward metaphysical encounters not the great debates of good and evil, demons and gods.

Henry, Ricochet and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice