Do I want another Rickenbacker 12-string?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Winterwind, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Yeah well, maybe Ben will run the company differently...

My plan now, since 1993Plus models are stupid expensive is to get a Danelectro 12-string (the uber cool Aqua one) and get a 620 6-string in Jetglo. Those two will cost what a 330/12 is going for and still be $1600 less than the 1993Plus.

On the subject of the 620...

I had my second 330/12 for five or six years and the R tailpiece never broke but it was so poorly, unprofessionally cast when you looked underneath so when the time comes for the 620 my intent is to get the R to trapeze conversion from Winfield Vintage and either an ABR 1 or Nashville Ric bridge from them or get the Mastery Ric bridge people talk about.

Has anyone got experience with either?

The Mastery gets rave reviews but apparently isn't fully intonatable because it isn't a six saddle bridge.

The Ric ABR or Nashville aren't as raved about but are six saddles.

Thoughts?

2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    About 6/7 years ago I was seeking a 12 string ( when I decided to buy my black Gretsch 12 ) . I did so much investigating . I read a lot of reviews , read lots of facts and info and played all different models of 12's and the biggest complaints I found can from Ric owners .Most people said the " R " tailpiece broke .

3. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I believe they have fixed the issues now with the "R" tailpiece breaking, but I could be wrong..

thunder58 likes this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    How bout something Voxy? Screenshot_2018-12-31-02-08-15-1.png

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've heard that, too. I will buy one at some point and leave it in the case for the next owner to decide what they like best.

Telechamp likes this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    The only use for those R tails is this!:D
    [​IMG]

7. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Even if the issue is fixed... Hmmm... I think the trapeze is my preference. It's not like you need to see the "R". Rics are distinctive enough.

8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I've always liked the look of the R tail piece ,but it's just a pain in the arse to change strings quickly,the trapeze is the best, plain and simple ,but they work.