Do I want another Rickenbacker 12-string?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Winterwind, Dec 18, 2018.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have played a few and thought they felt odd, i physically couldnt play a 360-12 i picked up. I can't play Mosrite's either and i do gas for one of those, i fear that when i find one with a bigger neck i will HAVE to own it.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Sorry for the delay in my reply i’ve Been doing a bit of research. The Revelation RJT60-12 is also made as a 6 string and is based on the fender jazz master. It’s a solid body guitar made from okoume. It has two AL90 pick-ups which are P90’s designed by Alan Entwistle , “ the welsh guitar guru”. 3 way pick up switching, plus ATN-5 circuitry controlled with a 5 position switch in the place where gretsch or Gibson would have their pick up switch. It has a lignum Rosa fretboard and a strat like trem system. When I bought it I also tried a danelectro but I much preferred the Revelation. I believe Revelation used to be part of Hohner and the serial number starts with a “D” so maybe the guitar is made in Germany - I don’t know though. I assume at the price more likely it was made in China.

thunder58 likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Nice looking guitar . It really caught my eye . Thanks

4. Highroller

Highroller Gretschie

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    2018 was definitely the “Year of the Ric” for me. After 30+ years of fence sitting, scratched that bug off the list not once, but twice. In August, finally found the perfect 6 string, a mapleglo 330 with toasters. And in November, unexpectedly stumbled on a 350/12v63, also in mapleglo with toasters! Price was right, too much fun to pass up!

So now I’ve got … twins. Sort of… ha!

Absolutely love the 330 - shot right up to the top of my favorite guitars list, right next to my 6120-60.

The 350/12 is bit more complex. Basically, it’s a full scale version of a Lennon 325 short scale, but a 12 instead of a 6. It’s true what people say about the narrow nut width on the 12’s. With my hands, workable, but a little crowded down there for 1st position chords. And the small body (semi-hollow) takes some getting used to. There’s no weight there - it almost feels like a 12 string SG. I always assumed that when it came to a Ric 12, I’d wind up with some flavor of a 360, and this ain’t that, not by a long shot. Completely different feel. But what it does have is that glorious jangly Ric tone – this thing just sounds amazing! And for me, right now at least, that’s enough.

[​IMG]

5. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Beautiful twins

6. Geezer1950

Geezer1950 Electromatic

Nov 20, 2018
    WA
    I did something similar in the past.... RICKYtwins.JPG

Telechamp, thunder58 and JC higgy like this.
  7. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Ok... thanks to my thread, and the last couple pics posted, I now want two Rics, a 6 and 12. Good thing I can't afford either right now. Although I did spend last night torturing myself looking at different sites and trying to decide on colours. :)

Telechamp and toddfan like this.
  8. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    The more I think about it...how can this even be a legitimate question? :D

Brothers.jpg

My love of Rickenbackers started with wanting a model 4001 Bass, when I played in a loud, white-trash rock-n-roll band during my youth (Chris Squire and Macca played Rics, and I thought they looked super cool)...eventually got one, too!

My first Rickenbacker guitar was a 360-12. I kept it about a year but never played it because of the super narrow neck and eventually sold it.

Then, when they released the Tom Petty model, well...you know how it is: I HAD to have one! It is in my opinion much more playable than the 360...but, I still love the looks of the 360....sooooooooooo, ...

When a few years ago they started making the 360-W I again fell in love with the appearance and called Joel at Shanghi Music, and Joel made it happen!

My first 4001 Bass is long gone...it accidentally went to the bottom of a swimming pool during the shooting of a music video for the band Shooting Star...but, someday I will have another Ric Bass, too!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Telechamp, thunder58 and JC higgy like this.
  9. Geezer1950

Geezer1950 Electromatic

Nov 20, 2018
    WA
    It might be kinds scary. Once you get Ric (or Gretsch) fatRICS.jpg RICKoPAIR.JPG fever, you're doomed.....

Telechamp and JC higgy like this.
  10. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    You see I know I want a 1993Plus for my 12-string when the time comes and I was sure I'd go for Jetglo but after throwing Tom Petty's channel up on youtube yesterday while puttering around the apartment I realised I love the 620/660 body as a 6-string. But I think it looks super rock n roll cool in Jetglo. I think that's the best colour for my tastes but... but... but it's a Ric. Fireglo is almost obligatory for one of them...

And after drooling over all these pics I suppose I could have two Jetglos.

Ah well, the decision is a ways off still.

11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Well, i reckon i wouldn't mind this old thing;) Screenshot_2018-12-24-11-45-38-1.png

thunder58, JC higgy and Henry like this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    This is the Ric I want. Mike Campbell's.

[​IMG]

thunder58 and Winterwind like this.
  13. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Same story here!!...

[​IMG]

Highroller, JC higgy and thunder58 like this.
  14. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Well, I've decided when the time comes it'll be a 620 6-string in Jetglo and a 1993Plus also in Jetglo. I just think Jetglo with the binding is... well, sexy. All you lot with your multiple Rics. Damn. I'm jealous. :)

15. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    He is a nasty little fkr who always goes on the attack, even at the most innocuous of comments. In my Ric days I was personally attacked by him on two occasions; his fanbois at Rickresource are also mentalists of the same ilk!

All that aside, I regret selling my Tom Petty 660-12, the only other Ric, bar the 4001CS, that I regret letting go. Now, they're so far out of my range for an electric that I'd rather spend the money on another Lowden or a 'zouk from Siveen/Foley.

16. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    With all due respect, I used to joke around with friends that when TP passed away I would make a lot of $$$$$ by selling my Rickenbacker Tom Petty model...but, when it actually happened, I couldn't let her go....she's a great 12 string, even if she didn't have the connection to TP...so, fortunately, I did not make that mistake.....I guess I'll let my kids sell it, when I pass....:eek:...(although I doubt my passing will add any value :D).

17. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  18. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    All these pics of twins are driving me mad! Mad I tells ya!

Seriously though, 6-strings with binding are gorgeous. Wish they still made those.

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    All I can say is that I have a '97 360-12 that I didn't play for almost ten years because the R tailpiece broke and RIC said it was because I didn't use their strings. WTF? Finally I bought a non R tailpiece from another company for half the price and just got it back up and running again. I'm OK with the neck width. I may buy an R tailpiece for it at some point. I don't know. The replacement is stainless steel and the factory one was pot metal.

I had a '66 years back and loved it. It's rumored that Elvis Costello ended up with it, so I guess it's in good hands.

20. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    I wonder how someone who works at RIC could say that with a straight face. See posts #20 and 48 in particular in this thread.