Do I want another Rickenbacker 12-string?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Winterwind, Dec 18, 2018.

1. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    As a 12 string freak myself , I must say I love this thread :)

T Bone and drmilktruck like this.
  2. afire

afire Country Gent

No need. There are four brand new ones in three colors on eBay this very moment. Now knowing that instant gratification is possible, I assume you will try much harder at winning the lottery.

3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Do it! Also ask them about this one that you just got a great deal on:p Screenshot_2018-12-19-13-02-10-1.png

thunder58 likes this.
  4. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    "Good luck" registering on the RIC forum... A word to the wise: Don't ask any questions about any registration or log-in problems to the webmaster - Or you're g-o-n-e, before you even started!! ;)

5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    No 12 strings in my household. 6 are more than enough for me.
    So I suggest buying two decent 6-strings. That`s 12 strings in sum.:)

6. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Grab your favorite guitar, plug in, be 6 times better than a 12 string.
    [​IMG]

7. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Sigh... my wife, love her to pieces. And no, she didn't buy me a Ric....

I was chuckling at this thread last night and jokes about the Ric forums and my comment about registering just to get banned. She looks at me and says, "Well, it wouldn't matter cos you already have one, right?"

I just looked at her and she says "Isn't Sherry a Rickenbacker?" and I say no "No honey, Sherry is a Sheraton" and explained the whole story again. Hehehe

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    My brother had the same experience on a forum when he was discussing the unusable nature of the very light wind on the pickups of the 325c58 model and how he had the pickups wound hotter as a result. Out of nowhere flew in John Hall to basically call him an idiot.

I remember my brother gigging that 325 with me and it sucked so bad I grabbed my back up guitar (a 71 Strat) and tore the 325 off him and put the Strat in his hands.

I have a 67 336-12 and it's a great guitar. I won't buy any Rickenbacker that was made after FC Hall stopped running the company. I really would love to litigate a case that John Hall brings against a musician or someone like Jason Lollar pro bono as I would relish the victory against that arrogant ass. (I haven't lost a case in 20 years.)

Neck width has never been an issue for me as I am not a good player anyway and don't really notice the difference.

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    This is what he had a problem with Lollar about. Ric don't even make a lap steel anymore. Ah well, i got mine. 1545337448385-1294287280.jpg

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think it is more efficient to offer a limited number of options, especially at their volume. Any color you want as long as its black

11. afire

afire Country Gent

No doubt, that's true. In the wake of Gibson's meltdown, Rickenbacker's business model looks pretty sound (though who knows how many pockets were handsomely lined on the decades-long growth-focused journey to Gibson's bankruptcy). My point was more that John Hall was absurdly dickish in his unsolicited response to my relatively benign comment. And, secondarily, I think what I said was true. The Capris of the late '50s are almost the same guitar as what they already make or have recently made (360v64, 360/12v64, 360/12c63, 1993 Plus). With the exception of the body depth and a slight change in body contours, there's no difference. No new hardware needed. All I suggested was that reissuing them wouldn't be a monumental undertaking. I'd bet there are teenagers qualified to do the CAD work to program the CNC machines. But, like I said, if they aren't reissuing them, there's probably a reason. Evidently, they don't see money to be made in it. And they would know. I just didn't care for the bizarrely unprofessional attitude and disingenuous argument.

Henry likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    No doubt, he sounds like a reliable d!ck, from reports from all corners.

13. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Hehehe maybe we should coordinate a massive registration and "John Hall sucks" campaign on the Ric forums. They could do with the traffic increase. ;)

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    BFF5F62D-ED72-4530-BE84-A9921F2FAE8A.jpeg I do enjoy these 12 string threads. Here is mine - a Revelation. Well worth the £279 I paid. I do fancy a replacement though. Maybe a gretsch 12 the black and gold one. Or an Italia Rimini. A Ric 360-12 would be ideal but £3000 for a guitar that mostly hangs is a bit much I reckon. That’s why I might stick with what I have

JC higgy, drmilktruck and thunder58 like this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    While I’m no greater fan of Hall’s character than the rest of you all, as a mod’ might I suggest giving it a rest?

thunder58 likes this.
  16. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That Revelation is a sweet looker .. can you tell me more about it . BTW , I have the Gretsch 12 ( natural ) killer guitar . thanks

17. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Apologies. I was just having a giggle.

@thunder58 - how long have you had it? Is it one of the Electromatics or the Country Gent 12? How's the neck? Is the tuning stable? Lots of questions. :)

18. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Hi Winterwind ,
    I've had this 12 now for about 2 months and I'm really loving this one . If you go back to my post ( #19 ) you'll see the two 12 strings side by side . The black one is a G5422 BKL . I had sold it about 3 years ago because it mainly sat in the closet / wanted to fund another guitar / and it just really wasn't doing it for me . Well , I really started to miss having an electric 12 so I went on the hunt for about a year ( right after I bought my Martin D12-28 ) I tried a lot of 12's out there and the only other one that came close to the win was the D'Angelico 12 string ( and that even came WITH A GIG BAG ...sorry ) One day I goy lucky at Guitar Center and the Gretsch and the D'Angelico were side by side . I sat for about an hour .. The D'Angelico was heavier and a bit more brighter . A very well built hollow body if you ask me . And it was even $100 cheaper then the Gretsch . The Gretsch I bought and chose was the G5422G-FSR ( Factory Special Run , color Amber ) Yes , it's the Electromatic Model . Lighter with a real solid sound to my ear . And it sounded great and better unplugged then the D'Agelico . I still have the factory strings on it and I have not needed to tune it up yet ( well , maybe tweaked 2 strings if that ) The D'Angelico has a " slightly " thinner neck where as I find the Gretsch a bit wider / chunkier , but I have small hands and always loved a thin neck ( there's just not many out there for me ) I bought it from Musicians Friend for $799 ( US ) as it went on sale . I saved $200 and it was free delivery and no tax . Perfect
    Now for the case ( as most members slap there forehead .... )Did not come with one . The standard TKL case that has the word " Gretsch " stenciled on it is the SAME CASE as the case with the word " Ibenez " on it ( buy a brillo pad ) The Gretsch case is $169 and the Ibenez is $69 ...YES , $100 cheaper . I went to my local store and the salesmen told me to purchase the Ibenez case on line as the Gretsch case was on the floor next to us . Then he said , wait here ..... came back and said ... it's a weird number but the best I can do is $104 ... I was there , the case was there , the guitar fit , the cardboard box I walked in the store with was embarrassing ... I took the Gretsch case for the $104 .... happy camper all the way around

19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    All's i can say is strangely enough, i have never owned or gassed for a standard Ric guitar. I had a 4001 for about 10 minutes before i traded it for a '53 Kay and ive owned two Bakelite steels, i now have a very fine Cole Clark wood steel that is exactly like a B model, even has the infamous Lollar horseshoe i posted earlier. This instrument flat out kicks the old B's i had's butts. Oh yeah, i had a cool 1940 steel body model 59 lap steel too, it was my very first steel and a thing i discovered is that they stuffed it with period newspaper to curb feedback, its how i dated it.

20. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Funny you say that as I have never gassed for one either . In fact , I've never even had one in my hands

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice