Do I want another Rickenbacker 12-string?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Winterwind, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Do I want another Ric 12?

I've had two 330/12s. The first had a twisted neck thanks to a knot by the 12th fret and, despite the dealer getting involved, Ric refused to honour their warranty.

The second was fine but I foolishly sold that and my V'63 Hofner to go back to school 10 years ago for HR and that piece of paper has done nothing for me.

I remember the neck on a 330/12 being crowded but I still played and played and played.

The 660/12 and 1993Plus have wider necks but I'm not overly keen on the look of the 660/12. The 1993Plus has the iconic body but an F-hole instead of cats eye. Also, in my opinion Rics are way over-priced and their CS is notoriously bad.

I've looked at the Gretsch 12s but would prefer a different look (I've got a Sheraton II). There's Danelectro which are kinda cool and well reviewed but you have to remove the bolt on neck to access the truss rod.

There are other 12 but it'll be between those three. Thoughts?

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  2. Perhaps a fender strat 12. I found it a worthy contender to a ric. Plays more like a start then a 12 string

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    No comment on Rics but FWIW, the new MIK Danoelectro 12 strings have truss rod access at the headstock. To me, there’s nothing Sheraton/335/355 about the 12 string G5422, that’s all Gretsch Country Gent in my eyes. It’s fully hollow. I’d grab either one, whichever is less neck divey if I actually wanted an electric 12 string. Crap, now I’m GASing for that black and gold Electromatic 12...:)

Henry likes this.
  4. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I've looked at it actually but I've never been a big fan of gold plated hardware. The tailpiece on my Sheraton has a nice bit of chrome showing from resting my hand there over the years. I call it "custom two-tone". :)

The Danelectro Vintage '59 12 is what I've been looking at. Nice to know you they've changed that.

Wouldn't mind trying a Fender 12.

Problem with trying anything though is we've got two Long & McQuade shops here in London and that's it really. John Bellone's is closing. When JB told me that last week I could've cried. Got my first guitar, which I still have, my Sigma DR-7 acoustic, there back when I was a kid in grade 8.

The staff have told me Long & McQuade stores outside of their main store in Toronto don't stock much beyond Fender and Gibson and random entry level guitars. There are no Danelectros or Gretsch 12s to try. They only get them in when you order them. The option of sitting down and trying a few simply isn't there.

5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  6. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Those are cool and first one makes me want to play surf rock.

Yeah, Rickenbacker are pretty arrogant as a company. Comes right from the top with John Hall. Seriously if guys like Petty and Townshend are telling you you need wider necks it's a safe bet they're not the only ones who feel that way.

7. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Rickenbacker has always been oddly stubborn when it comes to wider necks. I can't understand why, though. Players have been complaining about the narrow fretboards for years.
    I owned a 330/12, and the narrow fretboard didn't really bother me as much as I thought it would. When I play a 12-string, I usually play chord fragments anyway, so it wasn't really a problem......although a little bit more room would have been nice.
    I've owned a couple of other 12-strings with wider fretboards, but the Rickenbacker has THE sound. Especially with flatwounds. That classic Beatles/Byrds thing.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You're asking this bunch of mad enablers if you should buy another guitar?

dafreeze, MTurner and thunder58 like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    First of all ... Ric doesn't honour the twisted neck . That to me is a turn off right there . And I hear that Gibson is right behind them and a real pain to deal with too . Has nothing to do with nothing but , my Stanley Thermos after 21 years wouldn't keep my coffee hot after 2 hours . Called them , thought I could get it " refurbished " , they said what's your name and address , we'll send a brand new one out to you right away with our compliments . WOW ! now that's a company that stands by it's product .... that's customer service .
    So much true for Gretsch . I remember a member here a few years back ( from Sweeden I think ) Saved his money for a long time . Bought a Pro end Gretsch . After 2 days an honest accident snaped the head stock . Joe Carducci got wind of it and basically said .. send me your info and the guitar and we'll replace it , on us .
    I just purchased a G5422G-12 FSR ( Factory Special Run - natural blond ) Looked at a lot of 12's myself as many know I'm a 12 string freek myself . Funny thing is I had one and sold it 3 years ago but really missed having one . This one for some reason is so much better . The D'Angelico 12 was also in the running too . Go check one out if you can . I happened to have gotten lucky at Guitar Center as they had both the Gretsch and D'Angelico and I was able to play them side by side . I was also at the D'Angelico showroom in NYC last year . Their doing something right . The Gretsch was just a better fit for me

mrfixitmi likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Remove the neck to adjust the truss rod? That is ridiculous and would make setting up a major pain if not impossible. I would skip that one.

wildeman likes this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I was so happy to see that my new Strat trussrod is adjusted from the headstock unlike the vintage correct models.

12. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    Nothing else sounds like a Ric 12

I’d love to see Fender reissue the Electric XII hockey stick model, maybe even as a Squier VM. I would reverse the string order and swap out the pickups for Ric type pups to see how close I could get. I loved my ‘66 EXII, best playing 12 string ever, but it didn’t sound like a Ric.

T Bone likes this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    This. C'mon FMIC, get going on the Squier VM version. There's a petition on OSG for this very thing..

Telechamp and Tele295 like this.
  14. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    Could you imagine a VM EXII with Dynas (somewhat similar to the Ric pickups)?

BorderRadio likes this.
  15. afire

afire Country Gent

Or you could go with the greatest 12-string electric guitar of all time, the mighty Hagstrom F-12S:
    [​IMG]
    Okay, that might be an exaggeration. But I had one a really liked it. I recall the neck being slim and wide, surprisingly comfortable. The one pictured here was listed on Reverb by Cream City for $849, so if you get past the head-in-the-clouds dealers, you can find sellers with reasonable prices.

mrfixitmi, thunder58 and Frank_NH like this.
  16. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Yeah Rickenbacker doesn’t seem to take customer recommendations when it comes to their product line. I’ve been hoping they’d reissue the 360F guitars (perhaps with some updating). But no...

17. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I've been playing my 360/12V64 for 29 years,bought new back in 89,so have gotten used to the tight finger space,but a little extra room would be nice.

I'd love a Fireglo 1993 Plus ,but the prices have really jumped over here,even for used examples,i only buy used nowadays,it doesn't look good for an acquisition any time soon.

Aye,i'm a bit Ric biased,but i'd like a Gretsch 12 too,preferably blonde,but the prices are high too,and i don't think after all this time it would stop me playing the Ric,still want one though.:oops::D

The Strat 12 is a nice guitar,i've played a few over the years ,wish i had bought one of them.

My cousin had a reissue Burns Double Six ,a really ugly green burst thing,but it was soo easy to play and with no hand fatigue over 3 or 4 hours,i'd buy one of those ,if i could find one at the right price.

There are some interesting electric 12's out there today,but like you,there isn't many for sale locally.

thunder58 likes this.
  18. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Stoping back in again for the reference photos :
    ** The black one is the one I sold about 3 years ago . Just really sat in the closet , not much use . Then I really got to missing an electric 12 and tried everything
    ** The blond / natural is the one I purchase last month through Musicians Friend . ( but yes , tried it at Guitar Center side by side with the D'Angelico ) This Gretsch just sounds so rich and full . Strange ... it's so much better then the black one I had sold . Keep us posted on your decision

Attached Files:

19. afire

afire Country Gent

I dare you to say that to John Hall. I had the temerity to suggest that doing a reissue of wouldn't be a massive undertaking since the only real difference between those and other models they already make is about a half inch or so of body depth and the body silhouette. Though my comment wasn't directed at John Hall, nor did I expect him to read and respond, but he did and basically told me I was an idiot with no understanding of how manufacturing works. And while the first part may be true, the second actually isn't entirely true. I still don't buy it. Maybe they don't think there's a market, or maybe John Hall isn't interested. He's said many times that he only does the reissues reluctantly to placate rabid Beatle fans, but would rather focus on new designs.

That said, it's my understanding that John Hall has largely stepped back and that Ben Hall is primarily running Rickenbacker. Maybe that will bring something positive.

Philtertronic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice