Distortion pedals

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Rockhead, Mar 19, 2019.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    That's already done :D - and I'm sure I'm not alone to have built this :rolleyes: !

[​IMG]

Except the white one because it's a 60s Ge Fuzz. the Black, Green and Red ones are Ge overdrives, on the which the single pot only adjusts the output level. The switches and footswitches are mainly mid-boost or bright-tame options.

I could only have put a pot and the usual FSW... But the upper box face would have felt somewhat empty !

I plan to built one though in a 1590A box, standalone with battery, one led, one pot, one FSW on the upper face. I plan... :mad:

A+!

2. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    I have an MXR custom badass pedal. It’s my first OD pedal - had it 18 months. Not sure I like it. I borrowed an Ibanez mini tubescreamer which was only about £50-60 which I really liked, although was not that versatile. But once you’ve found what you like does that matter? I think I might get one

3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    +1 for the OCD,,, I like to use it for a light distortion, but it will get hairy as well.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If you ever felt compelled to try a Timmy maybe the Magnetic FX Sändare is for you?

http://www.magneticeffects.net/satellite

5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Bertotti and Ricochet like this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Since decades I really refuse to use an overdrive or distortion pedal.
    There is no rational reason for it. I simply want to do the distortion-task by by tube amp. I setteled for vintage Reußenzehn amps years ago (iterations of Marshall plexies) and I hoard them (three identical still in my possession) . Not forgetting my original 1965 originalJTM45. For my Gretsch guitars this seems to work fine and for my main squeezes, the one PU humbucker Boeve Strats, as well. Had the same experience with P90 equipped guitars.

I learned that there is no way to get a nice distorted Strat bridge tone this way.
    Right now I am experimenting with a lot of pedals I used to hoard in one of my drawers. I aquired a Mesa Stiletto to experiment with recently. I always seem to land on Marshall territory in the end...
    On my many Marshall type amps that trusty vintage RAT overdrive sounds good with a Stratocaster. The old Big Muff is a bank, too. But the prince seems to be the BB-Preamp from Xotic. The BillyBrain from Nocturne works nicely with Gretsch guitars. But it is not essential for them. Nice though.
    All the expensive George Meyer stuff does not work for me. Sold it all.
    Again: This is on Strat-tone only.
    (I found my Humbucker-tone many years ago.)
    I had to change the loudspeaker box in my quest, too.
    With this setup a Mesa 2x12 was not the right solution. I setteled on a 1960B Marrshall JCM900 to find better dynamics.
    Strats are very different beasts to me. Simply two pickups too much.:)

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well I would never take a RAT over the Nocturne Ubangi, it is everything the RAT should have been. But that might just be me and my perception.

TV the Wired Turtle and audept like this.
  8. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Love those pedal designs - very cool! I’m sure they sound great as well.

I’m not much for really heavy distortion, but I like heavy, focused overdrive (Aerosmith, Foo Fighters, etc.) One distortion design I like a lot is the Ibanez Mostortion. Three band EQ and a wide gain range with smooth distortion. I don’t think they’re in production, but you can find them on the used market. I built my own from an Aion Electronics PCB. :)

9. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Ubangi Stomp!

Bertotti likes this.
  11. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I normaly use the dostrortion on my Blackstar Ht Club 40. It's great. My Buddy gave me this Dan Electro Pride of Texas pedal last month for my Birthday. It's actually a really good pedal

Attached Files:

12. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Just the name "RAT" has a stigma with some cats over the 45yr old mark, but the Gen Z kids are all ears. For me though, I wanted to use the early RAT platform because its amazing for lower gain settings if you makes some adjustments. This of course can happen on your own RAT pedal if you have one sitting around, but by the time you desolder all the parts on the board for a fresh sound, you may as well leave the original alone. Unless you love stuff like that. Here's a look at the inside of my Ubangi Stomp and its switch for compressed, uncompressed as well as the upper mids gain boost/cut makes this more fun that your average bear. ...or RAT. Lots of this type of pedal to choose from but some of us builders dont have conventional desires and some of us will fight to the grave for the Gretsch, if it dont Gretsch then its crap! :)
    [​IMG]

Ricochet and Bertotti like this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A 308 stamped “Hongkong”, I’m curious...?

14. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Sounds great ... and I see by his shirt he's a Yankee fan

15. DanV

DanV Newbie

Dec 18, 2018
    Florida
    I'm using a Joyo American sound pedal, set up to sound like a Fender Deluxe Reverb, followed by a Behringer Vintage delay pedal straight to the PA. I gig several times a month with this setup using my 5422T. It took me a lot of time to find this sound, but now, I really love it. Since I'm wireless at gigs, I like to move out front of the stage during solos and soak in the sound of my rig in the band mix. I'm really happy with it, even though don't have a lot of money invested in pedals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice