Distortion pedals

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Rockhead, Mar 19, 2019.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Screenshot_2019-03-20-19-50-26-1.png

MotorCentaur and larryb like this.
  2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Now we are talking...the heck with "distortion"......bring on the FUZZ!!!:cool::cool::cool:

MotorCentaur and audept like this.
  3. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    Wow! Thanks for all your responses!! I have been looking at the cheaper clone pedals. I just may try that route for now. The Rat is a great suggestion. I remember when I was a teenager way back in the early 80's, I knew a guitar guy who was in a Zeppelin cover band that used the Rat pedal to nail the Zeppelin sound. Haven't seen or heard one since. I'll Have to see how much a used one cost.

Thanks again for all your advice!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  4. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Obviously, there are countless overdrive/distortion pedals ranging the spectrum in price. One I'm looking at is the Boss Blues Driver Waza Craft. It's Boss' take on the well loved Keeley modded BD-2, and provides a very nice crunch but also cleans up very nice when you roll back your guitar's volume. It's not a bank breaker yet has a tone that some might describe as "boutique."

Mr Swisher likes this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You calling the cops, Larry? :eek:

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    rockhead :)
    You NEED to go test these pedals or you'll spend lots of $$ chasing shadows.
    Rat will not give you convincing Led Zeppelin tones.
    It's a different flavour - think Foo Fighters.
    And it moves into fuzz as you crank the gain - different beast again.

If you want Page tones you'll need a Marshall clone pedal - good luck :)

MotorCentaur likes this.
  7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    :D

audept likes this.
  8. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    You want the short list, or the long list? LOL

What's on my board for dirt right now are my Tim for low gain overdrive and my Lovepedal Super Sic Tone for heavy stuff.

But, I've got a rat clone (Mooer Black Secret) I love. several Fuzzes: Dunlop Band of Gypsies Mini, Keeley Fuzz Head, BBE Free Fuzz, MJM Germanium London Fuzz, Plumb Crazy FX Fuzzy Lady... I know I'm missing one or two there (they're in storage right now). I've got a couple of Marshall flavored pedals: a Catalinbread DLS III, a ZVex Distortron, probalby one or tow others there as well. I've got a Dod OD250, a Nocturne Dyno Brain, two MXR Classic Overdrives, a Mosky Silver Horsie (a Klone, which I still haven't had a chance to try), an OCD... The List goes on.

I can't even begin to think about all the pedals I've tried and sold on down the river, either.

All of the currently owned ones sound awesome with my 5127 and 6129TLS. But, several are amp dependent as well.

To be honest, I am not much of a heavy gain user, though. Yet, the majority of the pedals I own or have owned are dirt pedals. Wonder what that says about me? LOL

9. National19

National19 Country Gent

Jan 4, 2014
    Ottawa Canada
    I like the MXR super bad ass

10. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    OP is asking for Distortion pedals right?

12. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Crowther Hotcake.

Attached Files:

13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I would say Supro and Tele tone, not marshall tone..

14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That pedal is wild man...:cool: I fired it up once and wasn’t sure what to do with it LOL.

wildeman likes this.
  15. JoeyC810

JoeyC810 Electromatic

Dec 9, 2018
    Dracut, MA
    My 2 Cents is that the Fulltone OCD is great. You can have it set to barely noticeable overdrive to pretty raunchy distortion. The DS-1 might be good but the last time I bought one(a few months ago) I didn’t like it as much as I used to. You have the option of running the OCD on 18v of power through the power supply too which adds some more dirt to it.

gtttrrr and thunder58 like this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Just put my order in for this... Sinvertek Drive 5

Pete Thorn called it the best drive pedal he had heard in the last 10 years...the guys from TPS were knocked out be it too. I thought it would be another booteeky drive pedal, made in the US no doubt, or worse Oz...:p Turns out it's a made in China original. 150 bucks direct.

There is two types of pedals. Ones that work in the background and are transparent, and ones that impart their own character/flavour. The strong suit of this pedal is it's ability to conjure an amazing '80/90s type drive channel out of your amp, which actually sounds like your amp(you may want to read that again).
    It will be limited in it's usefullness for me since I stopped playing 80's rock in the well '80s , but I thought it was a too good a party trick to miss out on.
    [​IMG]

17. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Got a Barber Burn Unit in a trade for a Tech 21 blonde.
    I really can’t hear what’s different in most pedals.
    I don’t usually look for pedals and try not to use them as i find them a hinderance, but i have been looking for a pedal that does low to medium gain without altering the sound, apart from more drive/crunch/gain/dirt, i had before clicking it on, and despite reading tons of stuff not one has ever delivered what was promised.
    So i have yet another pedal to sell!! :D

18. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Why can’t someone make a pedal that has no tone shaping or amp character built in but just simply keeps your clean sound and adds dirt?

19. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    They all do it(I’m hoping the Sinvertek is a bit better though)
    I’ve started to look at mini mixers to mix the dirt with the original signal to preserve the amp character.

MotorCentaur and cowmoo like this.
  20. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    We're talkin' distorsion right!
    Boss heavy metal, no less than van halen is a box, a real pleasure to kick it in tha'face!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice