Directions are your Friends

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Thass, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Thass

Thass Electromatic

Dec 29, 2019
    Palm Desert
    My wife’s birthday is tomorrow. Being in lockdown , I decided to bake her a cake, something I’ve never done before. Everything went great, I even got the cake out of the baking dish without any problems. But when I started putting the frosting on... well everything started to melt and slide off the sides. I stuck 4 long matches in the cake lit them called my wife in the kitchen, sang a fast version of happy birthday and she blew out the “candles”. We enjoyed warm cake with a side of frosting dipping sauce. She loved it all. During clean up I read the directions on the frosting can. First step “let cake cool throughly”. Who knew?
    567DB45F-C218-4454-BE84-EEEB52232FA8.jpeg

2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    if you invite me to dinner, please make it for a night she is cooking:eek:

3. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Happy Birthday to She!

That's why I end up baking cookies most of the time. The same happened to me a few years ago, when I didn't read the instructions, too. I found a solution in ... I have a friend who's very skilled in baking and making all these fancy decorations and stuff (I can do some of that, too, but always end up in justifying it looking kinda broken because this won't affect taste and just happened to break...), who in exchange gets other things done by me she isn't that skilled in. Works perfect.

Seems like you two enjoyed it ... which I think is the mission that counts being accomplished.

When I bake a cake, I usually don't focus on looks (but call Mrs. H, who does so ... and when she does, it really makes a difference, haha...). It's usually a bottom pie and some kind of pudding on top, often the bottom being hazelnut flavored and the pudding almond or so, a good combination. If I screw things up although I made them easy, I switch to cookies and eat the pudding seperately.

Until I was like 15, I thought cooking sucks. Then I had a reason to learn to cook and rethought this, with a different conclusion.

Anyway - happy birthday to her, and ... enjoy the remaining parts of the cake, if there are any.

Thass likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    One of the most important ingredients for baking is one i tend to lack: patience.

But I am not a frosting person anyway so I would take a warm cake over a frosted one. Looks yummy, good job!

Thass likes this.
  5. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Good for you for trying!

Thass and Tadhg like this.
  6. Nice cake. Try putting a 12”x12” wood shed kit together without reading the instructions. Let me assure you all that reading them half way through is too late.

Thass likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ... and that's what it's all about . Happy Birthday Mrs. Thass

Thass likes this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    My wife did a beautiful birthday-cake for a friend. We put on 40 candles.
    Since they had to be arranged very close to each other, it appeared like one big flame. When he tried to blew them out it was simply not possible and the complete beautiful cake burnt to sugary ashes.
    When I took a look a t the packaging of the candels I noticed that these were meant as a party-gag. If you try to blew them out they will light up by themselves again...:eek::confused:

Thass likes this.
  9. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I cook mostly in the Microwave as I have no patience.

next-it-says-add-catnip-cat-cooking.jpg

10. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    Did the same two birthdays ago
    I let the cake cool before icing
    My mistake was using cupcake icing to write happy birthday Lisa
    I didn’t read those directions as it turned out it’s formulated to flow lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice