Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Difficult choice : Fender 65 PRRI or Princeton clone or Swart Atomic Jr ?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by captainmur, Feb 9, 2018.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  3. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Ricochet likes this.
  4. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
    Gentlemen, thank you so much for your comments. Of course the U.S. members have more choice options (not for amps only but for all arts of musical gear) as we here in Europe. But I hope, I'll make a best choice "with a little help of my friends" © :)

5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Well, I don't think you'll be UNhappy with any of the 3 you mentioned: PRRI, Swart, or boutique PR. Good luck!

6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That's a real looker

loudnlousy likes this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I‘ve heard the PRRI got often vibrating issues.

8. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    There is quite a line of such birdcage amps built by Reußenzehn. The EL 34 line is quite interesting. You can interchange lots of tubes in the poweramp section without re-biasing. They are meant to be played in the studio but have enough balls to do the job even in smaller club-gig settings.
    All handbuilt goodness. (One-person-operation since many decades.)

9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I'm a little confused Captainmur. Why does it need to be a low-power amp is what you want is clean sound. For the most part the opposite is true, a high power amp at low volume will sound cleaner than a low power amp cranked up.

A Princeton is not a big amp at all. I have used a Fender Bassman as a bedroom amp when all I wanted was clean. Just turn the volume control down.

I have four Princetons and two of the are clones, one is a silverface from 1977 ish and one is a '68 Custom modded with a 12" speaker. All four sound really good and will go as quiet as I care to set them.

I have never heard a Swart but I've never heard a bad word about them. Most of the boutique-type amps sound really good.

If you are looking for cleans, there are also a number of solid state amps that sound terrific too.

10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    ...and to be honest, the SWART gets hot very early, but that‘s part of the fun. It‘s not a real clean amp, only at very low settings.

captainmur likes this.
  11. deLisle maker Jer and I corresponded about my desired features in an amp and came up with a scary busy/diverse attenuation-option that made my Double Nickel amp just about a Princeton Deluxe Reverb on Hoyt Axton cross tops. I think I probably could do just fine with a Princeton RRI tho. It would be fun to have both!

12. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    I've had a Princeton for almost two years and I can say it sounds just "right" for the kind of music the OP plays.
    I must say that clean headroom is not very big though, the amp starts to breakup around 4/6 on the volume, depending on pickups and right hand technique. For a home player that volume is probably too high, so it wouldn't be a problem, but I just wanted to point that out.
    I didn't like the amp's overdrive because of the boomy/farty sound it produces due to the stock Jensen speaker (wich sounds GREAT for cleans), so I ended up selling it for a Z-28 which is higher in wattage with better clean headroom. That's the reason why I suggested that amp in the first place.

Vibrating issues are common with PRRI amps, mine didn't seem to do it very often, but it happened sometimes. I just think that a PRRI is a very good amp, but it costs too much for being a PCB amp. You can get better hand wired amps spending the same money, or a little bit more. Or you can still go PCB and get something else like an Ibanez TSA15 or TSA30 heads.

ruger9 likes this.
  13. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
    Stefan, thanks good to know it, because I need namely "real clean only" amp.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  14. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
    This is IMHO a controversial statement. Yes, on the one hand a more powerful amp goes into overdrive at a higher volume, and on the other hand, the clean of powerful amplifier is (or must be) optimized for a relatively high volume. This is unfortunately not my case, since I live in a tenement building and have to play guitar really gently. Thus, The Truth Is Out There © ;) And most likely, the truth is somewhere in the middle:)

15. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
    Yep, deLisle Nickel or Double Nickel look not bad with a lot of config options. But not forget, that I'm in Europe, so price + shipping+ 19% custom fee... unfortunately no way.

16. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    I'd go for something with at least 15w, to be honest. Have you considered the idea of going solid state? You can find some amps suited for your style.

17. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
    I never thought about a solid state amp. Perhaps this is a psychological barrier, but I have always preferred tubes. Could you give some examples of suitable SS amps?

18. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I've never played one, but alot of people love the Quilter amps, and have even replaced their tube amps with them.

19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Usually, the volume controls go all the way down to zero. It can be as quiet as you need.

Quilter solid state amps and the new Quilter Mini 101 Reverb is very sweet for cleans. Tiny and inexpensive too. I have a modest collection of old 80's Roland Cubes and they sound terrific. If you can find one they sell very inexpensive.

emicad likes this.
  20. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island