Different Bridge Types

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by john horton, Mar 1, 2010.

1. john horton

john horton Electromatic

Feb 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    I'm trying to decide what bridge to replace my rattly adjustomatic. I'm trying to decide between rocking bar, aluminum compensated, and space control. What kind of thing is each bridge good for? I heard rocking bar gives a full sound, aluminum compensated gives a twangier sound, and I don't know anything about space control besides that it looks awesome.

What can you all tell me about these bridges?

2. Bengal65

Bengal65 Country Gent

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    If you want to stay with an adjustomatic, go with a Callaham ABR-1. The saddles are very tight. Or, for a compensated bridge, go with a Compton. The Compton's come on various materials. Also, you will want to setup the bridges to match the radius of your fretboard. With a Compton, just specify what radius, post spacing (2.9" or 3"), and string spacing you want.

Space Control, they can rattle. It depends of the threads and rollers are tight on the specific bridge.

3. john horton

john horton Electromatic

Feb 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    What about this kind?
    I've seen it on a number of guitars.

4. dan P

dan P Country Gent

Jul 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    John, forget about the rest, the Compton is all you need...

5. Ed Mehollin

Ed Mehollin Electromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    For Bengal65 - Greetings from Corpus Christi - how do you tell what radius fingerboard you have? I just got a used G5129 with a pretty ugly standard bridge. The Comptons look very nice but are they worth the $$. Would one improve tuning/Bigsby issues?

6. john horton

john horton Electromatic

Feb 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    Actually I wasn't considering a Compton, but now I am. What radius do I need for a G5120? ...and will it fit the old base from the adjustomatic?

7. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    Most of the 5120 series have the 12" fretboard radius. To be on the safe side, there is a printable radius gauge on my website.
    www.comptonbridges.com
    There are also some newly produced sound clips from our own "Synchro" from here on the forum.
    Pop's

8. Bengal65

Bengal65 Country Gent

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Funky Spacing. I have one that is brand new never used. Bought it for a project I was working on. Basically, only that top fits on the base. So, most other bridges will not fit on the base.

Ed, I used the radius gages available from Stew Mac. I do a lot of work on guitars.
    You could use these. Print them out and cut them. You can cut out for the strings if the strings are on the guitar.

Ed, there are a ton of reviews on the forum regarding Compton bridges. I have Brass, Aluminum and Titanium Compton bridges on various guitars. Well worth it, in my opinion. Your intonation will be Spot on with a Compton in comparison to a bar, or roller Gretsch bridge. Sustain is greatly improved.

From Pop's site:

http://www.comptonbridges.com/sites/default/files/pdf/radius.pdf

9. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Late to the party, but +1 on the Compton from me too :)

10. Big Burly

Big Burly Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I love Compton bridges. I have 4 aluminum ones, one for each of my Gretsch guitars.

They are especially great on the hollowbody Gretsches. Much improved vibration transfer from the strings to the top of the guitar means improved sustain and resonance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice