Did you know Notre Dame de Paris ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by hcsterg, Apr 15, 2019.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I was there over 50 years ago when stationed in Europe. My daughter heard from a friend who had been there just this morning to hear the choir. The loss to Paris, and the world, is immeasurable. 850 years of history gone up in smoke is just heartbreaking. The only positive thing is that there have been no reported deaths.

2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    True. A disaster and a miracle, if I can say so...

A+!

blueruins likes this.
  3. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    You're welcome ;)

Jena, benjwri and thunder58 like this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Terrible loss of history. I was there last June, I wish I had spent more time and taken some pics.

benjwri likes this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    It’s quite a loss. It just occurred to me that places such as this are simply not being built anymore. It’s possible that they will rebuild, but a building built of such materials, of such size and splendor is unlikely to ever be built again.

benjwri, thunder58 and blueruins like this.
  6. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    A tragedy for mankind.

benjwri and blueruins like this.
  7. guto

guto Gretschie

Oct 24, 2011
    Brasil
    Ive been there....it is a shame such treasure got burnt like that...

benjwri and blueruins like this.
  8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There's only one being built at present that I know of---the Sagrada Familia (Holy Family) in Barcelona. Our own National Cathedral in Wash. DC is still in process of being finished as well. Still, new construction of such a large church is extremely rare, mostly due to the huge expense.

benjwri likes this.
  9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I think we, as a civilization, are no longer interested in building such exquisite works of art. I don’t want to trigger a theological discussion here; I am simply dealing with this as the loss of a historic treasure. There are all sorts of things which can be said, but all I will say is that I wish the people of France the best and send my sympathies for their loss.

Please gents, no religion. We can’t solve issues of that sort here.

10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I expect a huge outpouring of love and support for France and her efforts to rebuild. This will be a tragic chapter that has a happy ending.

benjwri likes this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    The Notre Dame is a prime example of a time when civilization built things to last generations; to stand for centuries.
    Nowadays, nothing is built to last the ages. Things are only built or created to please whomever is alive at the moment.
    All facets of culture suffer from a short attention span.

This is a tragic loss for France, humanity, history, and civilization, regardless of religion.

Jena, benjwri, dak55 and 2 others like this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I did go inside and climbed to the upstairs viewing room, but I had a bad hip at that time so did not go all the way up to the top (in the spire?). I also hate heights.

blueruins likes this.
  13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I think you put into words almost exactly what I was feeling. Malls are huge, complex, buildings, but they fall to the wrecker’s ball as soon as they have outlived their usefulness. Norte Dame was not about practicality or cost effectiveness, it was a lasting monument, plain and simple. Whether the rebuild or not remains to be seen and I will not proffer so much as the hint of an opinion as to whether it should be rebuilt or not. However, the resolve to create something lasting and which has meaning for many years to come; that is what I feel has been lost.

benjwri and calebaaron666 like this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    In reply to BlueRuins:

I sincerely hope that we are on the cusp of greater things to come. I’m a big fan of the human race and believe that we can do amazing things, if only we let ourself. This isn’t to claim that we can solve all of the problems and create utopia, but the fact that places like Notre Dame were created in the first place speaks well of our ability to build amazing structures.

Jena and benjwri like this.
  15. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I don't think I was being religious. I appreciate the architecture, and the sheer commitment of thousands of people that spent centuries building and paying for such an edifice. You're right that we don't build anything to last like that anymore, for the most part. The Coliseum in Rome is 2000 years old, and if it hadn't been scavenged for stone for 1500 years, it'd be intact as well. Stadia built thirty years ago are being demolished and replaced. When I lived in Europe, I roomed in a 400 year old house. Houses here will never last that long. We could build them better, but couldn't afford them. We can decipher 4000 year old hieroglyphs that were carved in stone. How long will we be able to access the digital information on a chip? We can't access 30 year old computer info anymore. I can reprint a 100 year old photo negative, play a 100 year old record, and read a 500 year old book. How long will our present media be accessible?

Only stone lasts, and even that won't last forever.

new6659, Jena, dak55 and 2 others like this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The fire is contained, half the building is safed.
    Macron makes an appeal to the public. French billionaire donates €100.000.000 to rebuild the cathedral. As you do.

blueruins, Jena, benjwri and 2 others like this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Pictures from Le Monde / Reuters of the remains of ND de Paris this morning :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know how looks the interior now, but I imagine that it is a disastrous havoc... Anyway, we already have enough problems in France, we did not need to add this casualty, for sure ! It will take dozen of years to rebuilt, at an astronomic cost due to historic matters, I guess.

A+!

18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
  19. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
  20. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Agreed!!:(:(:(

benjwri likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice