Did you know Notre Dame de Paris ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by hcsterg, Apr 15, 2019.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Since 6:30 pm today, our secular monument is the prey of the flames of a gigantic fire...

[​IMG]

Un gigantesque incendie est en cours ce lundi 15 Avril au soir à Notre-Dame de Paris. Le feu a pris dans les combles de la cathédrale, monument historique le plus visité d'Europe, ont indiqué les pompiers. Selon le porte-parole de Notre-Dame, l'incendie se serait déclaré aux alentours de 18H50. Toute la charpente a été ravagée par les flammes et la flèche s'est effondrée.

Translation :

A gigantic fire is underway this Monday, April 15 in the evening at Notre-Dame de Paris. The fire took in the attic of the cathedral, the most visited historical monument in Europe, said firefighters. According to the spokesperson of Notre-Dame, the fire was reported around 18H50 (6:50pm). The entire frame was ravaged by flames and the arrow collapsed.

Search the web, the French TV channels... You'll get the picture... :eek:

A+!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Mon Deiu! I'm watching this at present. 800 years of history going up in smoke. My heart goes out to the people of Paris, and France. Even worse, it's Holy Week. This is the most important site in Paris, even moreso than the Eiffel Tower. Hopefully, all are safe.

3. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    That is just horrendous. I see it is being reported here that the ceiling and spire have already collapsed.

Markkkky likes this.
  4. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Heartbreaking. Especially during Holy Week, as @wabash slim pointed out.

panhead6zero and larryb like this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is terrible :(

panhead6zero likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I can't believe this . I am so sorry for all . Many prayers sent .....with tears

panhead6zero likes this.
  7. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Looks now like it will be a total loss. 850 years of religious history gone in no time at all.

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    That's it.

I'm afraid, yes. My wife is watching TV, and she can see the fire inside one of the big bell towers. For the moment (21:00 local time) the fire is not under control.

I wonder why didn't they use Canadairs (fire planes) to blow the fire under a rain, but firemens fear an accentuated risk of collapse damaging the numerous artworks that are still inside (not all could be evacuated).

A+!

9. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Last time it looked like that was in 1944.

10. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    There are helicopters designed to fight high rise fires that would be quite effective and no more damaging than a fireman's hose.

11. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  12. This is tuff to watch. That a piece of history lasted that long is amazing, and worse that’s it can be taken down so quickly.

13. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    How many millions of the Christian faithful prayed for help and gave thanks in that cathedral over those 850 years and now in just a few hours it is all gone. Terrible

14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  15. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Darnit man. I hope they find a way to rescue the better parts. I was watching tv and they said that the rooftop it’s the one with the most damage.
    I pray they could do something. The value of those monuments it’s irreplaceable. Living in Florence, I feel bad for all the Parisiennes.

16. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    We are living in a new underdeveloped country, you know... o_O

A+!

Bertotti, Jena and Jockabilly like this.
  18. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I just read that they couldn’t use helicopters ‘cause the power and the weight of the water will tore the whole building down faster than the fire would.
    I’m afraid to say that I read the church’s spokesman tell that there’s little to no chance to save something. The whole wooden interior part is already gone.
    That’s an enormous tragedy for the whole world of art, not only Paris.
    The only positive side I could see now it’s that the City of Paris was in trouble to find the money for a complete refurbishment. Now the whole world will take pride in participating to the rebuilding of this beauty.
    United we stand.

Jena, new6659, MotorCentaur and 2 others like this.
  19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice