Did you have a favorite book series as a kid

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Mar 18, 2020.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I have a book shelf in my bathroom with a few Far Side books and the like, some with one page stories and such, and one that really fits a bathroom---Graffiti in the Big Ten.

Heinlein's early work is called his Future History Series. His later stuff all ties together loosely. I started in the '50s with his juvenile stories. The earliest of it goes back to his pulp magazine days in the late '30s.

drmilktruck likes this.
  2. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone remember these? Not my collection but this gives me an idea for one. :)

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The more recent kids have Goosebumps and Harry Potter.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

[​IMG]

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. afire

afire Country Gent

Double post. First time.

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Just remembered this one... Somehow as a kid I missed the book series, but at least 15 years ago (maybe more), A&E had a series called Horatio Hornblower that was really good. I think I'll try to track it down on DVD and the book series.

new6659, wabash slim and drmilktruck like this.
  7. The Mouse and the Motorcycle! First ‘big kid’ book I ever read. Was 8, maybe 9.

Like many, huge fan of H.G. Wells and Jules Verne.

Read all I could find on Wyatt Earp and Wild Bill Hickok...in fact, I’ll upload a pic of some desktop favorites including some I mentioned.

One book here, Lays of Ancient Rome was printed in 1878. (“Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate...”)

Space Time Transients and Unusual Events, published the year I graduated HS, will now cost you a grand if you can find it.

The thickest one without binding title is Wyatt Earp, Frontier Marshall

Later became hooked on the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. First 6 especially.

0646D2D7-441E-4FD0-B1C3-AC5E920ACF16.jpeg

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I'm actually working on that one right now- "The One Tree", Book Two of the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

dafreeze likes this.
  9. What do you think? Must be good if you’re on The One Tree. Some just can’t handle Covenant and hate ‘em. Over the years I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read them. Likely take both hands to show you in fingers.

Jeff67 likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There's a HH movie starring Gregory Peck.

dafreeze and Jeff67 like this.
  11. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I think it's great! I'm gradually working on tracking down the whole series one or two at a time when I have some extra cash.

12. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I wasn't aware of that one. Guess I'll have to find a copy on DVD. The series on A&E starred Ioan Gruffudd, who is from Wales, IIRC. Great actor and great series.

13. afire

afire Country Gent

If I'm spending a grand on a book, there's only one that I have in mind.
    [​IMG]
    And no, this is not a joke. This book exists and I would like a copy, but it's got to be hardcover. And that gets pricey.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. Gregory Peck played an ex sea Captain in The Big Country, too. Outstanding movie. Burl Ives, Chuck Conners, Jean Simmons (was I ever in love with her)

He was also the star in another outstanding movie (many, in fact, to me) the Navy used as a training aid in LMET (Leadership, Management Education Training) class. Twelve O’Clock High

new6659 likes this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's from the '50s, and on TCM often enough. The movie "Master and Commander" with Russell Crowe is cut from the same cloth.

As the Captain says, "If nautical adventure is what ye wish..."

new6659 likes this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There are a lot of odd little books like that. I have "Graffiti in the Big Ten", and my brother had "Outhouses of Alaska". There are literary surprises everywhere. Tourist town gift shops are a breeding ground for these.

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Twelve O'clock High! That was required viewing at my house when growing up. My Dad was a B-17 Crew chief in the Mighty 8th! We also had to listen to Glenn Miller.

new6659 and dafreeze like this.
  18. Yes Sir, I remember the brief story you’ve shared of your Pa, love to hear everything!

I didn’t pop out until ‘59 but my Dad was the last of 10, I adored all my Aunts and Uncles, treasure the 40’s and 50’s because of them and absolutely love Glenn Miller.

Think I’ve posted this, perhaps for you, here before. Pretty sure that’s his wife bopping for a second while standing at the table. Am certain you’re aware that fine American died tragically over the English Channel during the war while serving this Great Nation as one of the Greatest Generation.

in fact, earlier to day I mentioned I had no vinyl records. After I bought that Sansui I also bought this disc, pic’d, thinking it was vinyl and it’d be the very first record album to my yet to exists collection. Imagine my disappointment. Nuts

A7344D0E-FDE8-4345-A1EC-12A255686136.jpeg

drmilktruck, new6659 and wabash slim like this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The USAAF never did figure out what happened to Glenn Miller's airplane. It just disappeared in the fog.

dafreeze likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice