Did you have a favorite book series as a kid

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Mar 18, 2020.

1. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    My first crush must have been the Tarzan series by E. R. Burroughs and I've got almost his whole series now in my bookshelf, in Finnish translations. My first love was the John Carter of Mars series from the same author and after that I went to all kinds of "serious" sci-fi, wholeheartedly.

You all must know these two series so I won't have to go into details, I just mention that I fell in love with many of those proud and noble Martian princesses :).

Scrh_1803.jpg

In the 1970s, in the attic of my first cousin we used to read the Ryhmy and Romppainen war novels from 1940-50. This tile of a book below is a later edition containing ten of the original novels. These two characters were kind of anti-heroes, who newertheless outwitted the enemy over and over again with the help of their own smartness, their fearless War Cat Mörökölli and their secret weapon Sipuliviina (Onion Liquor), that must have been some kind of vodka with onions added to the recipe. Must have been a really peculiar smell and it does get noted many times in these books :). Mörökölli did not carry a fire arm in the novels however, this later illustration is stupid. It just meowed in a devilish voices that horrified the enemy in the night and scratched a few butts here and there whenever the enemy got too close.

Scrh_1804.jpg

Scrh_1805.jpg

DennisC likes this.
  2. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    Oh yes, Sherlock Holmes was and still is a big favourite. Coming from Portsmouth there is a certain amount of civic pride in Sherlock Holmes.
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was based in Portsmouth when he wrote the first two Holmes stories and even played in goal for a precursor of Portsmouth football club!
    Jeremy Brett was the ultimate Holmes to me also. I've watched those series endlessly.

new6659 and snakestretcher like this.
  3. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    If you like novels with a maritime theme I recommend Alexander Fullerton's 'Mariner of England' series. The attention to technical detail is as fanatical as O'Brian's but the stories are first set in WW1 and progress through to WW2, following the Everard family's experiences in the Royal Navy, both on surface ships and submarines. The author was himself a submariner during WW2 so knows what he's talking about. There are nine books in the series altogether. Exciting stuff!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicholas-E...PMXSRZNBPME&psc=1&refRID=51JFP9HWDPMXSRZNBPME

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    new6659 likes this.
  4. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    My former BIL's sister made onion liqur once and mentioned she had the idea from a book. I was wondering what kind of book might suggest something tasting that disgusting - it was a dare-game then to drink this messed up ... uh ... is there a word like prepuke?

I didn't know the series until now, but as I like antiheroes and love cats (only thing that can outpurr a cat is two of them), I'll have a look into it, thanks for this suggestion!

JHowdy likes this.
  5. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Haha. I think you'd have to be able to read Finnish then, I very much doubt that these novels have ever been translated into some other language.

DennisC likes this.
  6. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    The Three Investigators. Jupiter Jones, Pete Crenshaw and Bob Andrews,..... oh yea.... I especially liked the junkyard trailer office and limo service complete with working phone. 3 investigators.png

speedicut likes this.
  7. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Seems at least not easy to find - looked for them and didn't find other languages.

Well... Don't speak/read finnish yet. May be subject to change.

JHowdy likes this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I can’t remember how many I read of the series starting with Master and Commander. I think I will start the series again.

thanks for the reminder

new6659 likes this.
  9. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I loved the Three Investigators too.
    Jupiter got the limo service by guessing how many beans were in the jar lol. Then, since the contest said ' limo service for 30 days ( of 24 hours each!) ' he made them give him 24 hours X 30 days worth! :D

And +1 on the Hardy Boys also..

10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Electromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    The Red Car.jpg
    Ha! After unsuccessfully searching a few times over the years I found it! The Red Car by Don Stanford.
    On Amazon the 2000 reprint (new) is $441 for the hardcover and $989 for paperback!!! The cheapest used copy is $135, damn. Not worth that much money to me, maybe I can find a copy at a library somewhere.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    DennisC likes this.
  11. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I don't think that kind of argument (on the limo service) would hold up these days..... (read the fine print)

speedicut likes this.
  12. latetotheparty

latetotheparty Gretschie

Mar 18, 2018
    Omaha
    I know there are some German language movies of the series

13. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    Deliverance. There's scene in the film where the trippers do the Duelling Banjos stuff, and in the background I swear I saw a British made Ford Anglia (the Harry Potter flying car), like my dad owned, on a load of scrap. Can anyone confirm if the Anglia was actually exported to the US, and why on earth anyone would want to import such a tragic car?:D
    [​IMG]

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    There are even more audio dramas. The speakers are celebrities in the scene.

latetotheparty likes this.
  15. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Wow - a lot of you guys read the same stuff I did - HG Wells, Alistair MacLean, the Hardy Boys, Jules Verne ... I'll add one more to the mix: Lester Del Rey.

A fair amount of his stuff was written for kids. I think I was reading Lester well before HG Wells or Issac Asimov, neither of which were written specially for "juvenile readers". I remember reading War of the Worlds and asking myself "what the heck is a Vicar?" LoL!

Lester was more like 4th grade, Wells was 6th. But he had some great titles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anybody else a Lester fan?

drmilktruck, new6659 and radd like this.
  16. Thass

Thass Electromatic

Dec 29, 2019
    Palm Desert
    Growing up on the east coast I played an incredible amount of hockey as a boy and watch a lot too thanks to Hockey Night in Canada thanks to the roof antenna.
    But I do remember this series very fondly
    AB0106B7-8573-47F4-9CD0-936E9CCE14D5.jpeg
    I then read this while in college... actually I remember read this series while I should have been studying for finals.
    6434CD36-29B4-4D47-832D-632A629E5629.jpeg

Then I was completely obsessed with these novellas; I would go to the local Waldens book store at lunch the day they were released.
    E06ECC6E-592B-4F13-870A-77F1A8DCFE23.jpeg

drmilktruck, radd and new6659 like this.
  17. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Are you kidding? Neil Adams' art on the cover of Tarzan paperbacks....I was hooked!
    Actually, in the late 70's early 80's I was also into the X-men and Avengers (John Byrne and George Perez stuff).

18. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    I never heard of the guy until today, but if you like early SF a short story by Arthur Porges, 'The Ruum' (1953)-captured my imagination. An indestructible robot left behind by aliens during the age of the dinosaurs becomes reanimated and proceeds to chase down a man at a sedate 5 mph. The Ruum never stops moving, cannot be stopped, and the man's ingenuity in evading the inevitable, versus the robot's inexorable pursuit is tested to the limit...
    pdf:
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...RvbWFpbnxlZ2poN2xhfGd4OjM3MjllZDY0YTFlM2JmMzg
    I also recommend the 'Mars' trilogy by Ben Bova, part of the 'Grand Tour' series.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    drmilktruck and radd like this.
  19. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I can't think of a series, but I suppose all the Sci Fi Heinlein books could be called a series.

drmilktruck and wabash slim like this.
  20. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    As a kid I really disliked school. And reading was in school. I love the Bible. As a kid I went to church and read the Bible. But not any other books really. I played with Master Of The Universe He Man toys. And He Man style toys. I had about every one of them. Reading I guess reminded me of school? I had a few books. Lol. Funny I know. I read the comics in the news paper.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice