Did you have a favorite book series as a kid

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Mar 18, 2020.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Have a book series ya loved as a kid? I sure did.

I was an avid reader as a kid. I ordered books every week in school through the Weekly Reader. In the late 50’s I was hooked on the Tom Swift Jr series. He was a kid that invented incredible machines and had big adventures. I can remember anticipating the next book to come out.

The Jr. series first appeared in 1954. It was a spin off of the Tom Swift series that came out in 1910.

F373D116-9127-46E0-8093-AD836EA4807D.jpeg E871E6DB-7D09-4496-A0C4-F58BE29E593D.jpeg 69F41652-FE3E-4A08-928D-7F24C0331336.jpeg

2. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

The Hardy Boys was a big thing for me in the early 60's - but also everything H.G. Wells and Jules Verne wrote.

3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    In the early 60’s Jules Verne was my guy. 20,000 Leagues under the sea might well be near the top of my list of books I enjoyed the most.

It jump started my love of the ocean. Much later I was a SCUBA diver, sailor, windsurfer, ocean kayaker....I still must live by the ocean and see it ever day.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I was all about S.E. Hinton’s novels when I was a kid i.e.The Outsiders, That was Then, This is Now, Rumble Fish, Tex etc

cqscqs and drmilktruck like this.
  5. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

There was another series I now remember which was called something like "You Were There at ....". The final part might be "The Declaration of Independence" or "The French and Indian Wars", etc. Those books were in my school library and were already old in 1962.

Cassotto and drmilktruck like this.
  6. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I've read "20,000 Leagues" many times over the intervening years and am always impressed by it - probably Verne's best work. I don't have the ocean nearby, unlike you @radd, but we do have some pretty big Lakes around here:)

radd likes this.
  7. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Tin Tin. The Great Brain.
    Jules Verne, H.G Wells, Sherlock Holmes.

8. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Sherlock Holmes! Read them all many times. Jeremy Brett was the perfect representation of "Holmes" on film. I mourn his loss every time I watch one of those shows.

9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Same here

Tony65x55, new6659 and radd like this.
  10. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Yes I've read them all many times over and agree that Jeremy Brett was the best ever Sherlock Holmes. I don't like the modern day adaptations very much, and I love the haughty, arrogant and slightly effeminate persona of Brett's Holmes. In the second of those TV series his wife in real life was dying and I think she died before the series ended which some say was evident in his portrayal of Holmes in latter episodes although I do not recall noticing that.

It was rewarding somehow to see how my son, now 38, became a Holmes fan while still at school and has remained one in adult life although he likes all the modern TV and movie versions also - no taste the younger generation! LOL

new6659 and radd like this.
  11. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    The Box Car Children series
    The Happy Holisters series
    Mom had bought the mail order subscriptions

individual books that come to mind

Ben and me
    The mouse and the motorcycle

12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I loved those books! I wished there were more.

I read all the Hardy Boys including the older versions and then the newer ones. I think there were close to 60 when I was a kid.

Nancy Drew, Tom Swift, Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, Encyclopedia Brown.

all the Beverly Cleary books - Henry and Ribsy, Ramona the Pest, etc ...

My favorite individual books were The Phantom Tollbooth, Harriet the Spy, Wrinkle in Time.

My wife’s favorite book was The Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankwiler.

13. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    EEF008A7-CF53-4E55-A3CF-74E5B9C527D9.jpeg
    Tintin!
    I read them all as a kid and i bought this gorgeous set of 9 hardbacks when my kids were learning to read. And the Spielberg movie from a few years back is a family favourite.

14. andreww1962

andreww1962 Gretschie

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Tintin for me. Prime video actually has the entire Tintin animated series plus the feature movie. Really enjoyed rewatching every minute! Blistering Barnacles!

Cassotto, GlenP, radd and 1 other person like this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The father of a friend of mine ghost wrote one of the Tom Swift books. (Victor Appleton, like Franklin W. Dixon and others, didn't exist. The books were written under contract following plot outlines developed by the publishing company.)

Cassotto and radd like this.
  16. latetotheparty

latetotheparty Gretschie

Mar 18, 2018
    Omaha
  17. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    If I had to name just one, it would be the "Just William" collection by Richmal Crompton. My parents were huge fans, too, so when they got married they had already got the complete collection between the two of them (they bought the two or three books that were still missing afterwards). The first time I read them -in Spanish- I was about 9 or so.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(How William went capless on his trip to Spain, I don't know.)

The complete English collection (which I bought afterwards, and which I'm still trying to complete, both in paperback and vintage hardback) can be found here.

But since no one is making me name just one :D, I'd like to add the two very typical ones everyone read: Asterix and Tintin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was another collection I was very fond of, by Spanish writer Elena Fortún. The main character was a girl called Celia, but then the story was expanded to include his younger siblings (the best of whom was her brother Cuchifritín) and cousins. I've never known whether they were books intended for girls, or those about Celia were for girls and those about Cuchifritín for boys. I liked them all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Oh, I didn't remember them... Great! For us, they looked like this:

[​IMG]

And how can I have fotgotten the Famous Five?

[​IMG]

19. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    IMG_4388.jpeg

This is the one book I remember as a child. Classic Roald Dahl.

Tele295, GlenP, Cassotto and 2 others like this.
  20. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Not so much a series but my favorites when I was little were the Golden Books.
    Replaced in my preteens by 16 Magazine and then Guitar Player.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice