Delays that do tricks

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by J Bird, Feb 11, 2019.

1. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    When I'm in a psychedelic, experimental mood, I like to turn up the feedback on my old Boss dsd-3 and slowly turn the speed knob for a molasses to machine gun sweep, then back to molasses. This pedal works well for this zooming spaceship effect (trick) probably because it's an old Japanese digital delay that is segmented into only two time sections so that there is a broad field to sweep.

Many newer digital delays have the time segmented into four sections rendering the sweep trick lacking. I'm looking for a good delay that will give me a nice David Gilmore sounding delay and be able to do the sweep trick.

Please school me on which delays I should be looking for. Do analog delays do the trick like my old Boss? My Catalinbread Belle Epoch does slapback great, but gets too out of control too easily when attempting a spaceship take-off or landing. I see a Boss dd-20 for $100 on CL. Short of going and trying it (with the possibility of blowing speakers/eardrums), can anyone offer some guidance?

Thanks

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    If this device works fine for you why change it?

Merc and pmac11 like this.
  3. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Oh yeah, I forgot that part. The dsd-3 is part of what my good friend nicknamed the 'Organism.' It's a Juno-60 into a Boss dd-5 and that sits on top of a Farfisa Compact that goes into a DOD envelope filter then, finally into my dsd-3. So, yes, it's totally available, but then the Organism would lose its ability to go completely inter-dimensional.

Having the dsd-3 in the guitar chain is fun and effective. Having it in the Farfisa chain is quintessential.

There is a $70 Hardwire DL-8 on CL. The seller isn't really sure what I'm talking about. To be clear, at the end of Radiohead's 'Karma Police,' Jonny Greenwood smears his sound by slowly slowing down the speed of a dictaphone (early tape playback device). Like that.

4. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    electro harmonix memory man, now that is the delay for me! in fact it's the only effect i use apart from amp spring reverb.

J Bird likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Keeley Mag echo......Brilliant!

Merc and J Bird like this.
  6. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Ooh, I like the Keeley Mag Echo, very trans-dimensional! It reminds me of the Belle Epoch, but maybe better at achieving infinite repeats without getting out of control.

I'll probably get the Hardwire. It ticks enough boxes that I think it will be worthwhile.

7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Check out Chase Bliss. I have the tonal recall, which is a dedicated analog delay. All analog, with digital controls /midi, sp if you find something good and crazy, you can save it.

They also have other delays that add pitch shifting, etc. Expensive stuff, but I've been impressed.

8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I just started using the Strymon Volante, an ultimate box of vintage wire/drum and tape echoes w sound on sound. I sold my El Capistan to get it to use it with the mostly analog Mystery Brain BS-301 and my mid 80s Boss DM-3.
    fullsizeoutput_12d2.jpeg

Merc likes this.
  9. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Carbon Copy's are old favorites; they have a bright version.
    Malekko 616 delays sound like the bright version of the CC and they have a 616 dark that sounds darker like a regular CC.
    Any of the Ibanez AD9's if you can find one. That's one of my favorites. They're now marketed as the Maxon they were designed after.

I mostly use Echo and tape echo more than Delay, and really only keep the 616 on my board (had it since before the CC bright came out and was never a big fan of the regular CC or the 616 Dark).

10. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Or you could spend less money and get a Line 6 M5 (or M9}, select whichever freaky delay you want, edit the sweep of the control to taste, and then assign it to an expression pedal so's you don't get your knees dirty.

Then when you're not in zooming spaceship mode you can select a whole bunch of other freaky delays / filters / broken fuzzes.

MotorCentaur and J Bird like this.
  11. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Zoom G5. Should be cheap, used on 'the auction' sites...
    Program the onboard expression pedal to the time and/or feedback parameter, and the world's yer lobster... and you don't need to bend down to mess with knobs.

EDIT: I own one... there's probably even a 'Gilmour sound-a-like' patch or two on there.

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have the Hardwire too, great pedal and the backward mode can be fun too.

J Bird likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Did your DSD-3 break?

14. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    No, my Farfisa is hogging it.

Bertotti likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Gotcha! Since it works so well for you have you thought of looking for another?

16. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Boss dd7. Backwards. Forwards. Slow. Quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I have these two - bought 2nd hand or dealt :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For experimental delay crazyness, I find them excellent...

A+!