Delayed NGretschD, maybe ?...

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Dec 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Ran into this one on Friday and was unable to resist:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's a 2011 Synchromatic G100CE in pretty darn great shape outside of a few buckle scratches on the back and a bit of tarnishing to the tailpiece. On the value add side, some one had a nicely functioning bone nut put on it and strung it up w/ D'Addario flat wound .011s (I'm guessing the Chromes).

This is probably the best sounding Gretsch I've encountered acoustically and has a good bit of volume going for it. It's also probably the bite-y-est full on jazz box setup I've encountered when plugged in. Seems like it feels and sounds great to me for that style of play and several others so far. I was pretty surprised at how good the high fret access is too. I don't really "need" a jazz box, but this one did kinda grab me.

Plugging it into the VibroRic/Sock Monkey setup at pretty moderate practice volumes it seems like it will be pretty challenging to manage feedback when amplified, pretty much any E left to its own devices will build to a big old feedback drone within a few seconds. Silver lining being it's kinda cool to play around w/ for noisemaking ;).

It came w/ a basic Road Runner dreadnought case that it fits in well in but I was slightly bummed to find the bridge height is too much for the spare flat top 6120 Gretsch case I had.

As fate would have it, one of my regulars brought one of these beauties in the next day in like new condition to put up for consignment that I could grab at about 150% of what I paid for the Gretsch (which winds up being a pretty phenomenal deal on the Godin):
    [​IMG]
    I kinda purposefully didn't plug it in yet, but checking it out acoustically I think I liked the feel w/ .012 flats at least as much as the Synchro w/ .011s and the sounds were a a bit more full. I'm gonna have to try averting my eyes from it for a while at least :confused:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Always liked the looks of the 100 but never played one. I bet part of it’s loudness is due to the longer scale. Do you know how it compare’s to the Country Club or other long scale gretsch in volume?

I once owned a Godin Richmond I bought online while in Afghanistan while really going through withdrawals. Straight out the box the quality was really good and was setup perfect. The only Godin I’ve played, but I wouldn’t hesitate to try another. Give us a report if you do plug it in.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks!

It seems to have noticeably more volume than any of the Gretsch full hollows I've tried from memory (I don't currently own any aside from my '58 Clipper, and have only test driven a couple other 25.5" ones). It also feels much more resonant/lively, which I think explains the propensity to feedback.

I've been pretty darn impressed w/ any of the Godins I've tried, this one seemed like no exception. I'm sure I'll wind up plugging that 5th Ave Jazz in at some point this week, just to make sure it's working and know what we've got, I was just trying to avoid temptation/buyer's remorse ;)

The Synchromatic is a really nice guitar and a seems like a pretty great instrument full stop and even more so for the used price (and probably nicer than I deserve) just figures that an even better deal on a comparable instrument would walk through the door <24 hours after I snatched the Gretsch:D

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Merc likes this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Godins are really well made guitars. I’m a fan. I understand your frustration. Lol

Merc and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Now there's a nice little dilemma. It seems like you can't go wrong either way. I'll look forward to seeing how this turns out.

6. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Don’t fight the temptation. Resistance is futile.

I was thinking.... Maybe it’s livelier due to a combination of the string length, thin Matt finish, and tone bars. And perhaps the parallel tone bars are more prone to feedback than the trestle bracing or ML bracing. I know the newer ML bracing is supposed to reduce feedback problems a little but don’t know of anyone doing a shootout comparison.

Could be the 11 Chromes on there too. I’ve used 11 Chromes on my 6118 for years. Last week I put 10 Chromes and immediately noticed a difference acoustically (wrapped 3rd feels odd on bends). I plan on getting a set up soon so I’m experimitting before. Next up will be half rounds followed by ordering some Thomastik flats.

7. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I considered the G100 myself, ended up buying the G3161 . Still....not sure... both have the long scale...

8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Well, I plugged the Godin into the Gemini VI at the shop for 15-20 minutes tonight and, although I'm a little too sleep deprived today to really make a good firm call on it and I didn't have the G100 w/ me to A/B directly, yeah, it's pretty darn sweet. I'm guessing it would probably be just a bit warmer amplified than the Synchromatic but had a lot more bite than I would have expected. I couldn't manage to get it to feedback facing the full output of the Gemini's (2) 7591s straight on from about 3 feet away, I'm at a loss to explain the difference in any kind of an informed way.

I did notice the low side of the neck joint has a ~0.5mm gap between it and the body but it ought to be easily addressable if I could get my hands on the right hex wrench since they are bolted on post finish, it's just a really long and off axis reach from the F holes.

I've been spending most of my sort of limited and low quality playing time this week w/ the new acoustics so far, so I haven't got much of a chance to explore the G100 much further but I'm planning to make that my mission for the next few days and figure if it needs to stay w/ me or not. Also gonna haul it down to the shop w/ me tomorrow so I can give it some more direct A/B ing.

Anywho the Godin's got a price tag on it now, maybe that part of the situation will resolve itself ? :D

Merc likes this.
  9. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks for the report. Interesting you couldn’t get it to feedback. Maybe it will naturally resolve itself out.

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Well I wound up taking the Synchromatic back tonight. It was a great guitar aside from the low volume feedback problem I was having, unfortunately it was a pretty big one for me.

I intended it to be a return, but my sales guy there put this in my hands and it wound up turning into an exchange for something completely different :oops::cool: :
    [​IMG]

11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Dang I'd be tempted to get a tele for that purple sparkle too!