Defunct Guitar Brands You'd Like to See Back

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Dec 1, 2019.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had a '53 like that, mine was ratty but killer.

stevo likes this.
  2. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Pine Apple Slim likes this.
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Ha, yes ! I even didn't knew this... The Provocateur model is nice, the Masquerader is more quelconque - They should reissue it in that famous translucent Green Burst :

[​IMG]

I only saw one in my life, along a Modulator bass in the same finish. It was in the very early 80s... How classy and gorgeous they were ! :cool::cool::cool:

I never saw any Wandrè in real, and yes, Eastwood has made Wandrè inspired guitars - even in LH ! - but the most interesting and unseen - the Luna, the Rock Oval, the Scarabeo, the BB, the Tigre, etc... - are not reissued. Maybe one day, when everybody will be fed up with Fender, Gibson and Co - but NOT Gretsch, OK ? :D

A+!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
  6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  7. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I don't know much about this, but if all DeArmond guitars were as good as I think my T-400 is, it's a brand that should be resurrected.

(Mine is exactly like this, but with white pickups, which -apparently- are less common, especially with this rounded pickguard instead of a serrated one.)

[​IMG]

8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    They did sorta, even better by my friend TK Smith :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nasonm, mrfixitmi, Jeff67 and 4 others like this.
  9. Markkkky

Markkkky Gretschie

Aug 26, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Valco, National, Harmony, etc

Lionpotato, hcsterg and drmilktruck like this.
  10. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Yeah, like many in this thread, there are lots of brands I would like to see get back to what they were.

A few high-end Gibson made Epiphones.

Some American made Peaveys. I would like them to create a pedal version of the phaser circuit from the VTX series amps, they could do a whole line of “saturation” distortions and effects. They should never have stopped making speakers. The thing about Peavey is the people who liked them liked them a lot. Trying to expand and chase other markets seemed to undo them.

That one glorious moment Traynor reissued a hand-wired YBA-1 and YGM-3.

Why are there no Custom Shop Fender amps? I mean, ones like the Custom Shop guitars? Hey build me a 1x15 5F6 with blue tweed and a pulsing red faceplate!

Marshall stop f-ing around and build the amps people want to buy.

I see I’m old now.

new6659, drmilktruck and hcsterg like this.
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I'm with you, @Hammerhands ! ;)

A+!

Hammerhands likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm from South Bend. My Dad (as well as grandfathers, uncles, and aunts) worked at Studebaker. I worked PT in the parts house in high school after the plant shut down, and worked in the plant for a different company before I went into the service. We all carried UAW Local 5 cards. I had a '59 wagon (Bluesmobile---ex-St. Joe County K9 car) and a '63 GT Hawk. There's nothing left of the Stude factory, or of the Oliver tractor plant across the street. The city lost 1/3 of it's residents and went spiraling down after that. Gotta love the Rust Belt!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Highroller and Lionpotato like this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Ex Gibson disgruntled employees. Definitely NOT Gibson. Still in the same building, tho.

14. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    univox hi fliers, i have owned three of them and although once upon a time they would have been the cheapest of the cheap they actually play and sound amazing! i think my first univox hi flier was the best playing guitar i have ever known, i don't like the eastwood copies though. i had these three exact models hiflier-2.jpg UNIVOX_GUITAR_hi-flier_phase3.jpg UNIVOX_Hi-flier_(phase_3).jpg

mrfixitmi likes this.
  15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    drmilktruck likes this.
  16. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Make them every day. Great amps

17. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

I hope you can see the pictures. Bartolini was a good italian guitar and harmonica brand in the early 60's. Hubert Sumlin (mighty guitarist for Howlin Wolf played a Bartolini)
    P.S. Sumlin was one of the few bluesmen who played a Gretsch hollowbody too ;)...

mrfixitmi likes this.
  18. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, it's a sad story. Now if Fender had bought 'em they'd still around and you'd have 17 different versions of a Hawk - The Drivers Edition, The '58 Reissue, The Vintage Edition, The Modern Drivers Edition ... LoL!

More on topic, how 'bout Sunn Amplifiers? They were beasts back in the day and a Portland company to boot - founded by a couple guys from the Kingsmen that needed louder amps to bash out Louie, Louie.

And then there's Dan Armstrong guitars. There was a brief revival of those first in late 90's and again in the mid-00's iirc. Time to do it again!

drmilktruck and wabash slim like this.
  19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Vintage Italian guitars are Funky : Welson, Galanti, Gemelli, Masetti, Eko, Wandrè, etc... Too bad Italians made so very few Lefties in the 60s ! :(

A+!

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice