Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Decision time: White Penguin or 6118T-125

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Aracelli, Aug 10, 2017.

Wisest choice

1. White Penguin

2. 6118T 125th Anni

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Will you have a chance to play them before buying? I have heard that the Penguin neck can be larger than the typical Gretsch Terada neck which may be good or bad for you.

Now stevo has a good point but the Penguin is a fancified and more expensive Jet. In Canadian dollars, the Penguin is a fair price but the Anniversary is quite high (for a used guitar). Translated to Europe I think would make the Penguin a good deal while the Anniversary is just a fair one.

So another way of looking at it is: This is a pretty good chance to get a Penguin. You can probably find a better deal for another Gretsch hollowbody later on.

Another thing is that the Penguin is fancied up like a Falcon. It can look cool or gaudy and overdone depending on the eye of the beholder.

Aracelli likes this.
  2. WannaGretsch

WannaGretsch Gretschie

Oct 23, 2012
    ALASKA
    Man, I would have to say the Penguin but its tough! You have no hollow body....but dang, I love my Penguin!!

Good luck, great problem to have!!

3. Aracelli

Aracelli Electromatic

Aug 10, 2017
    Denmark
    Yah, a real first world problem *Grins*

Any neckdive on a Penguin?

4. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    WannaGretsch ought to give you a definitive answer. I have never played a Penguin but I never heard about neck dive being an issue with any modern proline Gretsch except the G6122-JR (only the double cut, not Juniors in general).
    Like I said before though, there are some who say that it does not have the normal Terada neck profile (it has a more chunky neck say some).

5. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Aracelli! I have 2 Penguins, both double cutaway and they both have a tendency to neck-dive. I guess that the single cutaway Penguins are a bit more balanced.

6. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Penguin...'nuff said

7. WannaGretsch

WannaGretsch Gretschie

Oct 23, 2012
    ALASKA
    No, not that I am noticing. Well balanced, at least my example!!

8. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I'm very sensitive to neck diving guitars. The only Penguin I ever played dove like a Stuka. On the other hand, I dearly love my Annis. I have stated many times here that my double green Anni is the finest musical instrument I have ever had the privilege of playing. That may be why I have seven Annis and no Penguins.

MTurner likes this.
  9. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    I do love an Annie. Kind of the 'anti Gretsch' in many ways. Very light on the bling but all the good Gretschyness. I'd go for for the Pengy there though. Assuming all that bling and glittery shine appeals to you, a jet is just special.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If you have a Tele and are looking for that alternative voice, Anni all day long.

But...like others have rightly pointed out. The Penguin is a pretty good deal(in Europe) and easier to flip(or trade for an Anni) if you happen to outgrow it.

11. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    If if were me, it'd be the Annie hands down.

12. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Buy them both, sell the one you like less. I would think the penguin would be easy to sell on with minimal or no loss.