Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Decision time: White Penguin or 6118T-125

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Aracelli, Aug 10, 2017.

Wisest choice

1. White Penguin

2. 6118T 125th Anni

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Aracelli

Aracelli Electromatic

Aug 10, 2017
    Denmark
    Hi guys,

being a left handed player often involves digging around various forums, auction sites, local Craigslist etc.

I am a Gretsch newbie - But I am lusting after one and after ALOT of scouting I narrowed it down to these two.

2011 White Penguin w. Bigsby

2008 6118T 125th Anni Jaguar Tan

Both in mint condition - 100% original.

Here is the kicker - They are both the EXACT same price (1500EUR), which have left me slightly bamboozled as I want to make the best purchase and get the most out of my money.

So dear Gretsch gurus, which one would you pick?

(As for music of choice: Rock and Indie)

2. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    What do you currently own, and which one will be the different addition?

ZackyDog likes this.
  3. Aracelli

Aracelli Electromatic

Aug 10, 2017
    Denmark
    I currently own a Whitfill Telecaster with dual humbuckers and a Fender strat - So was looking for something for a new tone, or at least seperat itself from the usual Fender and PAF tone.

And of course also make a purchase that would make an economical sense, as in if the two guitars are close in tone, maybe value would tip the scales.

I seen YouTube videos of both and even together and read countless of reviews, but having a REAL hard time to decide.

4. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    So no big hollowbodies yet? I'd say go for the Anni then.

MTurner and ZackyDog like this.
  5. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Tough choice. At € 1500 both are priced really well. With the Penguin being 100% original and having a Bigsby I presume it's the LTV version with lacquer finish and TV Jones Classic pickups. Can't go wrong with that. The Jaguar Tan Anniversary is also very beautiful and built in limited numbers. It's a big hollow body which most people associate Gretsch with. And it should have TV Jones Powertron pickups. Which are great, but not for everyone. A bit PAF like. Many people find them too dark sounding and eventually replace them.
    My personal choice would be the Penguin, but I'm a sucker for Gretsch solid bodies.

j.s.c likes this.
  6. Aracelli

Aracelli Electromatic

Aug 10, 2017
    Denmark
    Well, I found a G6120-1959LTV Chet Atkins and a G6120ECLH Cochran - But these are located in the US - Price is fine, but with CITES and all I am afraid there will be more hazzle.

7. Aracelli

Aracelli Electromatic

Aug 10, 2017
    Denmark

This is the white penguin. Not sure if the pups are TV Jones Classic?

[​IMG]

ZackyDog and Wozob like this.
  8. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    No, those are Dynasonic pickups. Beefy single coils. I like them very much in a solid body Gretsch, but I heard they can squeal at high gain, high volume. Personally I've never had a problem with them. I don't believe the Bigsby is original though on the guitar, but it's considered an upgrade by many over the stock Cadillac G tailpiece. Beautiful guitar!

j.s.c and ZackyDog like this.
  9. Aracelli

Aracelli Electromatic

Aug 10, 2017
    Denmark
    I see, so the White Penguin is the Dynasonic model with an Bigsby added at some point after 2011.

Do you know if it's an easy thing to upgrade? Meaning, would the seller have had to drill etc in order to install it instead of the Cadillac G Tailpiece?

10. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    The pickups in the pictured Penguin are single coil Dynasonics.

Dollar for dollar, the Penguin has a higher retail price than the Anniversary 125th.

I am not familiar with Powertrons (that are on the Anniversary) but from what I have read here, they are more traditional sounding humbuckers (like Gibson humbuckers?)

Dynasonics do not sound like Fender single coils so they won't sound like your strat.

Another thing to consider is the size of the guitar. The Anniversary, as others have said, is a big body hollwbody while the Penguin (like a Jet) is a Les Paul sized chambered body. For instance, I am a smaller guy and though I have large hollowbodies (a Falcon and a Tennessean) I am more comfortable with my smaller sized Jets.

11. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
  12. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I have an old, out of date 2009 Blue Book of Guitars but in there, the G6134LH, left handed version of the Penguin did not have a Cadillac tailpiece like the right handed version but had a Bigsby instead.

Wozob likes this.
  13. Aracelli

Aracelli Electromatic

Aug 10, 2017
    Denmark
    Thanks!

I am 6 feet and 4 inches and have large hands - Sometimes I feel like the Telecaster 'drowns' in my size (If that makes any sense) - as in, it feels like a toy in my hands.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of playing a Gibson ES335 and the sheer size was wonderful (Though I find the PAF sound 'dull' and not what I, in my head, imagine the perfect guitar to sound like).

That's interesting, so perhaps Left-Handed comes with a Bigsby by default, or at least did.

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    The price for the penguin is tempting, though.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  15. Aracelli

Aracelli Electromatic

Aug 10, 2017
    Denmark
    The plot thickens.

So the serial number on the White Penguin is:

JT06105921

A quick decode and the White Penguin is not from 2011, but 2006?

16. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    That's right and so that matches up with the Blue Book listing.

17. Aracelli

Aracelli Electromatic

Aug 10, 2017
    Denmark
    Guess I will have to sleep over it this weekend - Have a feeling it's one of those decisions that are neck by neck.

18. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    If you don't already have a hollow body, you need one. Penguin is just a fancified Jet in my estimation, so you can always find a good Jet.

19. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    True, both are great deals in the EU. You probably won't lose any money with a little patience if you ever want to resell one of them, so I guess your best bet would be buying both. :D
    And take your time to decide which one you like best.

20. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Dawned I'm not lefty
    Indeed At these prices you should take the two !