Dearmonds where have you been all my life???

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by SWoody, Nov 8, 2018.

1. SWoody

SWoody Electromatic

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    I was just pleased as punch with that 'great Gretsch sound' I was getting from my 5420's. I picked up that 5125 w/ Dearmonds....OMG....I TOTALLY GET IT!! Perfect for the Rockabilly stuff the band is doing now but the 5420's will be on hand for the rest of the set (they think....shhh) Now I need more with Dearmonds....and the hunt begins again!!

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Synchromatic

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Right?! Ain't they something?! Single coiled hollow bodies rock my world! My 5129 became my number 1 after the first band practice with her! I’m so amazed everytime I plug ‘er in. After all these years I have the tone I’ve always wanted!
    My Gretsch with filtertrons can’t compete!

RomanS and SWoody like this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I always neglected them because of being too microphonic????

4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    TvJones.com T-armonds are microphonics free basically. They are the answer to the original sound & feel. I cut my teeth on dearmonds

Mudshark, SWoody and audept like this.
  5. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Dearmonds are great! They were the sound I had in my head.

j.s.c and calebaaron666 like this.
  6. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Same here.

7. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    My baby only squeals if i engage my crappy fuzz pedal or put the front of the guitar directly in front of my amp. I’ve played it out on a few stages and was worried she might squeal cuz of the moniters etc etc, but this hasn’t been a problem yet.
    However, i do get very cool feedback if I want it. It’s controllable, so that’s fun to mess with.

SWoody likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    As with me.

Better late than never when it comes to DeArmonds.

SWoody, NJDevil and calebaaron666 like this.
  9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The Dearmonds on the 512x range are a bit different from the current Dynasonics, and less inclined to be squealy.

SWoody and Henry like this.
  10. El Marin

El Marin Electromatic

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    It all depends on how much gain and your position in front the amp... I use a JCM900 100W Marshall

I don't find Dynas in my 6120 more prone to squeal than other big box guitars I had before, P90s or humbucker loaded

11. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I had a great practice session earlier with '08 5126. I played what I set out to practice and then proceeded with over an hour of extra fun playing to some T-Bone Walker and then switched back to some Rockabilly.

Those Dearmonds really bring the versatility and it's like I discover it for the first time every time I play it. It's been my #1 for the last few months and gets way more play time than my Black Phoenix.

SWoody - Welcome to the 512x DA 2000 club and be prepared to really have a long honeymoon with it. Pure tone goodness!

SWoody and calebaaron666 like this.
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The DeArmond 2000s in my Historic 3140 & 3156 sounded great! That real twangy Gretsch sound.

SWoody and NJDevil like this.
  13. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Nice Audept. I love those guitars and hidden gems in the vault of Gretsch goodness.

SWoody and audept like this.
  14. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    We need an official 512x forum on GT so we can talk about how great these guitars are all of the time.

15. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    100% agree. Before we get to enjoy the tone of these under-the-radar gems, the feel of them is a sign of some goodness to come once plugged in. I love the necks my 5126 "just feels right!"

16. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    The feel, and also the look. I love just staring at mine. It’s a real sickness.

BorderRadio, SWoody and NJDevil like this.
  17. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I know the feeling as it's like a birthday present every time I take mine out of the case. I feel like it makes me "glow" the same way opening the briefcase did to Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction!:D

18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've been in the Dyna camp ever since I found the Special Jet and also put T-As in my Fairlane. The late DeArmond 2000s are great pickups--too bad they stopped making them.

audept likes this.
  19. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Funny enough the 2000s have always been advertised like the "not Dyna" DeArmonds, because of the short magnets etc. Basically, an alternative choice if you didn't have the money to buy the real thing... that's the reason why I bought original Dynas for my 6120 in the first place. Now I'd love to buy some 2000 this side of the pond, but they're really hard to find. I bet they'll fit my Jet Club just right as I'm after a Billy Zoom tone...:)

Lizardkinged and calebaaron666 like this.
  20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's not just the short magnets either, they are also under-wound compared to many Dyna examples. People complain about the touchiness of original/Gretsch Dynas and string pull. Shorter magnets means less pull, so I treat them like Tele pickups and set them really close to the strings.