DeArmond 2000 questions

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by oldblues, Apr 13, 2019.

1. oldblues

oldblues Electromatic

Aug 26, 2012
    Concord NC
    So I like the sound of my 5125 but not enjoying overtones caused by magnetic string pull, like a Strat, on the Sixth string. Any suggestions other than pure nickel wrap strings? More shims underneath to raise the coil and lower pole pieces?

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Which pickup?
    Have you tried lowering the pole under the string?

3. oldblues

oldblues Electromatic

Aug 26, 2012
    Concord NC
    Lowering the pole piece until the overtone disappears, also lowers the 6th string’s volume relative to the other strings, too much

4. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Like with most Dynasonic types, I think you need to find the happy medium between pickup height to find a balance between pulling the strings, yet maximizing output. I use foam spacers (everything from old mouse pad pieces to TV Jones actual foam spacers) and adjust accordingly. I tend to keep my pole pieces almost flush, adjust the height to get the tone and output, then adjust the individual pole pieces for balance. It usually takes a few iterations to get it right...

wabash slim likes this.
  5. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    I have 5 with those pickups they are by far my favorites. 3 of them came with spacers that put the pickups right up under the strings. When I put the action down to where I like it I had to remove one of the spacers. At this point all of mine have a single spacer and that works well on all of them. I've fiddled with the pole piece height on a couple of them to get balance. They all work great for the music I play and those are my go to's over my 5420's. I like the single tone 'clarity' they have and will never change them out.

audept, wabash slim and calebaaron666 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice